Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

I have a feeling that there is much more to this coup, and today's consolidation of power, than we are being told. sad.png

They've been rounding up people for a few days now. Darn good chance some are starting to sing.

I think tomorrow is going to be another good day.

Hi Oak (Thaksin's Son) need to meet you at the Airport urgently. Wonder who made that call?

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PDRC, TV anti-Thaksinistas, Suthepistas and Yellows wanted reforms, out with YS, block elections and abolish the government, senators, the house et al.

You clamored, ranted and wished it:. There you have it and then some.

Are you guys happy now?

Why wouldn't we be happy with many of the Shin clan and most of PTP and UDD locked up , what could be better.

For many of us the fact that Suthep is also locked up doesn't matter - it is all about getting rid of Thaksin's corruption of Thailand - Policaly, morally and financially.

Goodbye and we are well rid of this bunch of criminals

• Like 2

Before the coup I worried about red shirts (sorry 3rd hands) throwing grenades at me because they only support 1 principle of democracy.

After the coup I can relax that security has been restored for a few days……... Then I will worry about red shirts (sorry 3rd hands) throwing grenades at me because the General is trying to return 15 principles of democracy to Thailand.

So does that mean transparency in what the Armed forces purchase?

Good luck to Him. He is the Abe Lincoln of Thailand.

....or Pol Pot. Time will tell.

'The constitution was replaced after 2006 with one intended to curb Thaksin's electoral influence.

"This time, the constitutional changes will be more thorough," Thai politics analyst Paul Chambers said.

He said measures could include "electoral gerrymandering, even more power granted to the judiciary, and finally -- and most ominously -- more power granted to the army." Centnews.com 24.05.14

Got to be one smart constitution next time to curb Mr T?

Maybe there is a lot going on that one is not allowed to discuss?

Thailand is changing but some are trying to hold onto a past.

There will soon be way less of those 15 principles the yellows keep throwing around, but they'll be happy if they win a gerry mandered election because they can then say they won a free and fair election (assuming there will ever be an election in the next 10 or 20 years). They yellows only cry unfair if they don't win ... I'm not seeing much democracy yet, and I'm seeing a very strong dictatorial play going down ... this guy isn't planning on listening to the people anytime soon.

I'm still waiting to hear about the thing we can't talk about. The rumours are going crazy up near me.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

what is worse is this is Asia's second biggest economy. During the PTP years the car makers, the largest swag of the economy decided to,leave Thailand. No one can afford that loss.

So Thailand will become a true failed state shortly thereafter

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I think China and Japan might be a bit surprised that the Thai economy has surpassed theirs

He's cutting out the cancer piece by piece.

He is consolidating power, simple as that.

Long time before you will see any elections here now!

Right, because elections worked out so well for Thailand. There's too much talk about one aspect of democracy - elections, and not enough about all the other aspects that make democracy functional: government transparency and accountability, free and fair campaigning all over the country and not just where it's safe, informed and involved citizenry, independent judiciary, an adversory and impartial press. The last 15 years have clearly demonstrated that without all or most of these other institutions in place Thai "democracy" is just mob rule. The problems are so ingrained now that the only way to fix it is to break it down and start over. Hopefully we're witnessing just that.

My friend, military dictatorship is not an advance in democracy; there are ample historical examples - Suharto in Indonesia (million killed); Pinochet in Chile (thousands killed and tortured); et al. Coups haven't democratized Thailand either. There have been four or so in the past few years, and here's a list of some previous one:

1971: Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn returns to power and abolishes the constitution and dissolves the parliament.

October 1973: A student-led uprising ousts the "Three Tyrants'' _ Thanom, his son Col. Narong Kittikachorn and his father-in-law Field Marshal Praphas Charusathien _ who ruled Thailand for much of the 1960s and early 1970s. A brief period of democracy ensues.

Oct. 6, 1976: At least 46 student protesters, who were demonstrating against the return of Thanom to Thailand, are killed and hundreds more are wounded by the police and army. A coup installs a new military-guided, right-wing government.

March 26, 1977: The military government thwarts a coup led by Gen. Chalard Hiranyasiri after Chalard and about 300 men seized four government and military buildings.

Oct. 20, 1977: A bloodless military coup, led by Admiral Sangad Chaloryoo, installs Kriangsak Chomanan as prime minister.

April 1, 1981: Factions in the military attempt to overthrow Prime Minister Prem Tinsulanonda's government.

Sept. 9, 1985: Retired military officers stage a failed coup attempt.

Feb. 23, 1991: Gen. Suchinda Kraprayoon topples the civilian government of Prime Minister Chatichai Choonhavan in a bloodless takeover.

May 1992: Suchinda is forced from power when troops gun down at least 50 pro-democracy demonstrators in Bangkok. In the aftermath of the violence, his appointed prime minister resigns. King Bhumibol Adulyadej intervenes to end demonstrations, and parliament votes to reduce the power of the military in Thai politics.

Edited by ericsommer
  • Like 1

He's cutting out the cancer piece by piece.

He is consolidating power, simple as that.

Long time before you will see any elections here now!

Right, because elections worked out so well for Thailand. There's too much talk about one aspect of democracy - elections, and not enough about all the other aspects that make democracy functional: government transparency and accountability, free and fair campaigning all over the country and not just where it's safe, informed and involved citizenry, independent judiciary, an adversory and impartial press. The last 15 years have clearly demonstrated that without all or most of these other institutions in place Thai "democracy" is just mob rule. The problems are so ingrained now that the only way to fix it is to break it down and start over. Hopefully we're witnessing just that.

My friend, military dictatorship is not an advance in democracy; there are ample historical examples - Suharto in Indonesia (million killed); Pinochet in Chile (thousands killed and tortured); et al.

PDRC, TV anti-Thaksinistas, Suthepistas and Yellows wanted reforms, out with YS, block elections and abolish the government, senators, the house et al.

Are you guys happy now?

Why wouldn't we be happy with many of the Shin clan and most of PTP and UDD locked up , what could be better.

For many of us the fact that Suthep is also locked up doesn't matter - it is all about getting rid of Thaksin's corruption of Thailand - Policaly, morally and financially.

Goodbye and we are well rid of this bunch of criminals

And all it took was a military dictatorship, in the year 2014 AD.

Next time someone tries to dispute this is a third world country, just give them a copy of this news story.

Edited by celso

Where are the Suthep fans now?

Here's one!

Suthep saved the country from the amnesty crap passing and allowing absolute

corruption to take over and giving the totally corrupt government 2.2 trillion baht

with no accountability which would have thrown Thailand into 50 years of debt.

Well done Suthep, in my opinion you saved Thailand! clap2.gif

• Like 2

Wow, the guy is really showing his colors, ain't he? A dictator of his ilk won't stand much longer for a free flow of information and public expression of opinion on the internet. But I guess that would come after the shuttering of the judicial branch of gov't.? I'm afraid our days are numbered.

I don't have a crystal ball and prefer to reserve my comments for later. In the event that this forum is muffled, my opinions, as well as those of others, is irrelevant.

Suthep was heard screaming 'It should be me, IT SHOULD BE ME!"

If I understand correctly there was a warrant for his arrest

Is he now under arrest?

Detained actually, along with Yingluck among others. And apparently not in a military compound but a safe house.

There is real opposition on the streets, personally witnessed. Despite their armoured cars and tanks and guns, they may not be able to take away our sons this time. Could this be one coup too many. I pray for peace with justice.

Opposition by students as if they know what is best for the country. Make me smile.

So tell us genius who knows what the country needs. I wish you faced these students and told them your opinion.

You obviously have no historic adducation. Students are students, rebellious and like to stand up against anything they don;t like.

Go to the library back again and again.

Go to sleep as it is already late in Aussie land. (insider joke)

Edited by hugocnx

Good luck to Him. He is the Abe Lincoln of Thailand.

....or Pol Pot. Time will tell.

'The constitution was replaced after 2006 with one intended to curb Thaksin's electoral influence.

"This time, the constitutional changes will be more thorough," Thai politics analyst Paul Chambers said.

He said measures could include "electoral gerrymandering, even more power granted to the judiciary, and finally -- and most ominously -- more power granted to the army." Centnews.com 24.05.14

Got to be one smart constitution next time to curb Mr T?

Maybe there is a lot going on that one is not allowed to discuss?

Thailand is changing but some are trying to hold onto a past.

There will soon be way less of those 15 principles the yellows keep throwing around, but they'll be happy if they win a gerry mandered election because they can then say they won a free and fair election (assuming there will ever be an election in the next 10 or 20 years). They yellows only cry unfair if they don't win ... I'm not seeing much democracy yet, and I'm seeing a very strong dictatorial play going down ... this guy isn't planning on listening to the people anytime soon.

I'm still waiting to hear about the thing we can't talk about. The rumours are going crazy up near me.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dont trust rumours. And don't spread rumours.

Suthep was heard screaming 'It should be me, IT SHOULD BE ME!"

If I understand correctly there was a warrant for his arrest

Is he now under arrest?

He has been given time by Dear Leader to meditate in a "Safe house". But Abhisit was released right after he showed up when summoned.

Maybe this is the beginning of Abhisit Part 2, courtesy of you know who...whistling.gif

I have a feeling that there is much more to this coup, and today's consolidation of power, than we are being told. sad.png

They've been rounding up people for a few days now. Darn good chance some are starting to sing.

I think tomorrow is going to be another good day.

Hi Oak (Thaksin's Son) need to meet you at the Airport urgently. Wonder who made that call?

There's a bit more to the story, but it hasn't been confirmed.

This one caught me by surprise -- it looked as though he was going to let it stand since a large number of them were appointed by the right people. I guess he wants people that do exactly what he says. Lets see if he has them report and locks the senators up. Don't like coups at all - but if he actually cracks down on all corruption equally I would change my mind.

Cracking down on all corruption?

How does one become a general in Thailand?

The same way Presidents become Presidents, Senators become Senators, even though George Washington apparently did lie sometimes, but everybody believed he couldn't after confessing to cutting down a cherry tree.

Don't count your chickens too soon, there is a distinct and worrying absence of certain flags and symbols of reverence as one would expect and present in every other coup that is not in this one so far.

This could be pre-emptive to a transition the country was always going to have to face in the near future. Until we see a certain broadcast by a certain person

Its too early to really tell but this could very well be a coup unlike any other Thailand has seen.

I'd not be applauding the general just yet if I were you.

Check out the Live Feed.

Are you guys happy now?

Yes

..a wise move if he wants to be seen to be even-handed ( not that I agree with closing legislature)

Carrying your thought a step further, could it be that since he has all the yellow and red leaders together, he is just giving them a common enemy? With this in mind maybe they will come together and find common ground in order to form a government that both sides can live with, instead of fighting with each other. I just want to think the best.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Not many on here defending the coup now are there?

Yeah, typical authoritarian personalities. They are all in for the (dumbass) party line, until they start to finally figure out they might also get F-ked. If it's those they deem inferior (The Other) who are getting screwed over, they're okay with that. In fact, that's what they dig the most. Makes them feel *special*. Creeps.

• Like 2

If it fails to work, this place will become cheaper to retire to tongue.png

Zimbabwe might be cheaper still - and for the same reasons, only Robby is better at it (he had more practice!)

It used to be called Rhodesia and that would have been a great place to retire; however, democracy, fair play and political correctness have not faired well since then.

They did not fair well under UDI either if you is black.

• Like 1

The DRT (democracy restoration team) have frozen the assets of Charupong Ruangsuwan and Chaturon Chaisang, the two Pheu Thai Party executives who refused to report to them.

Suckers. Accountability suxs heay!!!