Thai coup leader disbands Senate, assumes law-making power

george

What's a half hearted coup worth that results in nothing?

and allows the scene going back similar to before the coup - like the last time

What's a cancer operation worth when only 1% of the cancer is left

(Of course only if the purpose of the coup is eradicating foul politics and opening the way to democracy)

In the actual case it seems many posters here do not understand the nature of cancer

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't count your chickens too soon, there is a distinct and worrying absence of certain flags and symbols of reverence as one would expect and present in every other coup that is not in this one so far.

This could be pre-emptive to a transition the country was always going to have to face in the near future. Until we see a certain broadcast by a certain person

Its too early to really tell but this could very well be a coup unlike any other Thailand has seen.

I'd not be applauding the general just yet if I were you.

Check out the Live Feed.

hmmm...... there is only the armys word, given that there was going to be no coup in the first place, that isnt worth a lot.

Prayuth sacked Adul (Thaksin's police chief that was chief during the murder of over 20 PDRC innocent protestors with no arrests)

The Metropolitan Police Chief has denied he is going to resign tomorrow.

Robert Amsterdam did say the PTP would likely set up a govt in exile… Is this a sign of that?

No rumors. Just my thoughts.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

He's cutting out the cancer piece by piece.

He is consolidating power, simple as that.

Long time before you will see any elections here now!

Right, because elections worked out so well for Thailand. There's too much talk about one aspect of democracy - elections, and not enough about all the other aspects that make democracy functional: government transparency and accountability, free and fair campaigning all over the country and not just where it's safe, informed and involved citizenry, independent judiciary, an adversory and impartial press. The last 15 years have clearly demonstrated that without all or most of these other institutions in place Thai "democracy" is just mob rule. The problems are so ingrained now that the only way to fix it is to break it down and start over. Hopefully we're witnessing just that.

yes, these days people seem to be under the impression that if people may vote they have democracy, but this is not really true. Democracy needs proper checks and balances, it needs objective media that informs the public. without these aspects it has a tendency to become an elected dictatorship

Exactly! Look at North Korea, they had an election and 100% voted for the ruling party... I wouldn't call North Korea a democracy even in my wildest dreams!

Even what we consider to be democracies like US have some flaws in its democratic system how could you otherwise explain how W Bush got reelected as president... it was not that a majority of the American people voted on him but it was the US way of counting votes and districts that made him win!

what is worse is this is Asia's second biggest economy. During the PTP years the car makers, the largest swag of the economy decided to,leave Thailand. No one can afford that loss.

So Thailand will become a true failed state shortly thereafter

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

No they didn't. More car makers came to Thailand and as a result Thailand has had record years in Auto Manufacturer. The only lapse came because of the floods.

........And the floods happened because the Red shirted Drivers to the Planes asigned to "Seed the Fields" thought the message was for them not the rice Farmers and they "Over Seeded" the Clouds filling the Res. Overflowing along with the normal rain filled the riers and started the flooding! Causing as one result the Laps and losses for the Auto Industry here.

All because A red shirted Individual wanted to get paid!!

BREAKING:

General Prayuth replaces police chief, DSI chief, and defence permanent secretary, dissolves the Senate and takes over parliamentary authority.

...and has taken democratically elected MP's hostage...Suthep supporters got what they wanted...an independent PM

• Like 1

Don't count your chickens too soon, there is a distinct and worrying absence of certain flags and symbols of reverence as one would expect and present in every other coup that is not in this one so far.

This could be pre-emptive to a transition the country was always going to have to face in the near future. Until we see a certain broadcast by a certain person

Its too early to really tell but this could very well be a coup unlike any other Thailand has seen.

Check out the Live Feed.

hmmm...... there is only the armys word, given that there was going to be no coup in the first place, that isnt worth a lot.

You haven't checked it recently.

what is worse is this is Asia's second biggest economy. During the PTP years the car makers, the largest swag of the economy decided to,leave Thailand. No one can afford that loss.

So Thailand will become a true failed state shortly thereafter

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

No they didn't. More car makers came to Thailand and as a result Thailand has had record years in Auto Manufacturer. The only lapse came because of the floods.

........And the floods happened because the Red shirted Drivers to the Planes asigned to "Seed the Fields" thought the message was for them not the rice Farmers and they "Over Seeded" the Clouds filling the Res. Overflowing along with the normal rain filled the riers and started the flooding! Causing as one result the Laps and losses for the Auto Industry here.

All because A red shirted Individual wanted to get paid!!

Visionairs on both sides. Point is the ones who are in charge don;t give a damn about the canon fodder, be it in Thailand or where ever in this 'beautiful' world.

The people in power (read money) screw your balls. Sorry ladies.

The General should not listen to the cries of democracy, because it is a false cry of democracy and at the expense of the country and its people. True democracy has been abused and hidden away and replaced with a democracy that is infested with lies, corruption, and hatred.

• Like 2

What he's doing can possibly work for the short term. But after a few weeks, people will be waving their special interest flags. He's put himself in a Solomonic position, where he makes final decisions on all important issues. There are deep pitfalls in doing that. Even when Thailand has a semi-functioning government, there is hassling overevery bit of legislation. I hope the general keeps a cool heart (jai yen), because there will be big challenges in the upcoming weeks and months. It's hard to herd cats.

Well it least he is beginning to look at paying the farmers.

The reason the farmers haven't gotten paid, is because (from what we've been told) there isn't the money to pay them. The program was fatally flawed from the outset. Where is the general going to find the billions of baht to pay them? I tell you where he won't get the money: from cutting back on military salaries, ha ha. And you can bet he won't be cutting back military expenditures.

(Reuters) - Thailand's military junta and the finance ministry will meet on Monday to discuss how to pay rice farmers over $2.5 billion owed under a failed subsidy scheme run by the government the military overthrew on Thursday.

The Finance Ministry said in a statement on Saturday that Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong would meet senior officials from the ministry and from state banks to set out policy. Prajin has taken charge of economic affairs under the military government.

Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha, who heads the government, addressed hundreds of civil servants at an army facility on Friday, a day after the army seized power, and told them that paying the farmers was "an urgent issue", according to a source with knowledge of the meeting who requested anonymity'

Also Strait Times reported same.

He also needs the farmers support.

Do you only read the Nation?

All the kudos to General Prayuth, he's finally the guy this country needs, finally someone who is weeding. Let him be in power for some time and discourage all these ill-intentioned politicians who only want to enrich themselves with the taxpayer's money. Chaturon is just one of them they want to weed out, just read the Junta's latest order. One of his first moves is to make sure the farmers are finally getting paid for the rice they brought months ago to the millers. Chayo, General Prayuth! This guy is commendable and should become the next prime Minister of Thailand. I have been witnessing Thai politics and now the 3rd coup in my 28 years in Thailand but now, for the first time I believe, a good change is on our way.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

A coup is always dangerous, but Thailand is a very unique place. It seems the coup is the natural reset Thais actually need to have a government. So many greedy snouts in the trough and so little rule of law. Eventually the spoiled little rich boys tilt the system and the army needs unplug the machine and find a system restore point.

However, for this to occur, all the safety nets come down too; and absolute power is put into the hands of an untested commodity,

All the things that the army are stopping and taking control over right now are good moves. Assuming that the intention of these executive moves is benevolent and for lack of a better word, righteous. But we just don't really know do we. Once again Thailand has placed itself upon the brink of failed statehood, just because they can't get their head around respect for the rule of law. In a land of zero accountable for the rich. Eventually two really big dogs are gonna meet and we won't be able to put it back together again. Think cops and reds VS soldiers and yellows.

Great writing good sir.

If the army think the reds will lie down they are seriously mistaken. And they have the resources to back it up.

Gen P. Is going to pass new laws to get rid of this red shirt scum once and for all. Celebrate!

Yes, let's also get rid of the dark skinned people, and the disabled, and the dwarfs, and the muslims, and the farangs, Anyone who does not agree with us, look like us, think like us...lets kick them out!

Why do you want to do that. Have you a valid reason? Did I miss some thing?

Have they been murdering people who oppose them and intimidating people to do what they tell them to do?

What did I miss?

You made his point!

It is called irony.

I was here in 2006 and by comparison this time it seems far more sinister. I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Don't worry. In 2006 the army woke me up to early. Hated that. Now the army came in softly, but more harsh than in 2006.

What option has this General got. if he goes this way or that way, he is going to have people that will not agree, BUT as I say what option has he got after the last 8 years we have all had here in Thailand. Reds don't want,,, Yellow don't want,,,, Lets see how it goes with him, doing what he is doing, I do hope it is for the right reason for the Thai people as well as us all. Only time will tell BUT we need to give it time to know if for all or not. When someone is put in a corner they have to fight hard to get out and I see that is what he is having to do.

• Like 1

Suthep was heard screaming 'It should be me, IT SHOULD BE ME!"

If I understand correctly there was a warrant for his arrest

Is he now under arrest?

Detained actually, along with Yingluck among others. And apparently not in a military compound but a safe house.

If I understand correctly there was a warrant put for his arrest, and the excuse for not arresting him was that he was protected by the protesters.

If the Military is serious about law and order and is arresting Reds. then why is he detained in a "safe house" and not arrested?

or the reds that were arrested are also detained in a "safe house"?

• Like 1

The General should not listen to the cries of democracy, because it is a false cry of democracy and at the expense of the country and its people. True democracy has been abused and hidden away and replaced with a democracy that is infested with lies, corruption, and hatred.

"True democracy has been abused and hidden away and replaced with a democracy that is infested with lies, corruption, and hatred."

Hang on? You do realize there was a coup?

The PTP are no longer in power so don't worry so much.

The lies, corruption and hatred will stop hopefully now the good general has taken over.

Edited by djjamie

BREAKING:

General Prayuth replaces police chief, DSI chief, and defence permanent secretary, dissolves the Senate and takes over parliamentary authority.

These people who come from Western democracies but are happy with the military coup and its repression are the biggest hypocrites of all.

It is astonishing to see such hypocrisy displayed. I truly hope they are just posting to wind people up, but I fear some of them might believe in what they're posting.

I see that Thai journalists are now being ordered to report to the junta. Such a sad time for Thailand.

As if journalists own the world? Many times they need to get their mouthes washed. Can take it personally if you want.

Edited by hugocnx

Nonsense ! Khun Prayuth did the only thing that could be done in order to restore some semblance of law and order. As always the the american and UK press have shown yet again that they do not have the slightest clue about what is really happening, totally wrapped up and constipated by this word "democracy". Suthep is my hero, risking his life to rid this fair country of the thaksin scourge, and Khun Prayuth obviously is totally aware of where the big problem is coming from. Hopefully this is all going to lead to a better Thailand. Go Go Go !!! Many may think that I am being extremely naive in my views, but the people who think that Thailand is totally corrupt and always will be are the ones who are missing the plot.

• Like 2

What option has this General got. if he goes this way or that way, he is going to have people that will not agree, BUT as I say what option has he got after the last 8 years we have all had here in Thailand. Reds don't want,,, Yellow don't want,,,, Lets see how it goes with him, doing what he is doing, I do hope it is for the right reason for the Thai people as well as us all. Only time will tell BUT we need to give it time to know if for all or not. When someone is put in a corner they have to fight hard to get out and I see that is what he is having to do.

Genearal P is a manager by exception. When he saw that his 'company' was going the wrong way, he had to intervene.

Take this in a relative way please.

Check out the Live Feed.

You haven't checked it recently.

im afraid I have, read the careful wording, we have atm only the words of the Junta. the office was informed, the junta said in statement, the junta said etc etc.... originally it also said most vehemently it was not a coup.

• Like 1

He's cutting out the cancer piece by piece.

He is consolidating power, simple as that.

Long time before you will see any elections here now!

Right, because elections worked out so well for Thailand. There's too much talk about one aspect of democracy - elections, and not enough about all the other aspects that make democracy functional: government transparency and accountability, free and fair campaigning all over the country and not just where it's safe, informed and involved citizenry, independent judiciary, an adversory and impartial press. The last 15 years have clearly demonstrated that without all or most of these other institutions in place Thai "democracy" is just mob rule. The problems are so ingrained now that the only way to fix it is to break it down and start over. Hopefully we're witnessing just that.

yes, these days people seem to be under the impression that if people may vote they have democracy, but this is not really true. Democracy needs proper checks and balances, it needs objective media that informs the public. without these aspects it has a tendency to become an elected dictatorship

Exactly.
  • Like 1

This news, together with the events at Victory monument today and elsewhere, doesn't look promising for the near future.

There will be hard times ahead.

What was the thing on victory monument about I drove by two times a few 2-300 hundreds standing on bridges with paper notes of something that was unreadable from the car.

Now what happens all depends on what he does...if he set the laws to be the things pdrc had in their reform program and then steps down for an election this can turn out nicely...but now we have to wait and see what he does with his powers.

Suthep never had any reforms..his goal was to get PTP to resign, rightly they did not. Prayuth had no option...he asked them to resign, they said no, he had to coup them. Prayuth was coming into the hot seat one way or the other. The fact the army have committed so many attrocities on their own people and they had been told by the Americans about not couping the last election made them wait until they had no option. They need to be in power at this time..you work it out. What comes very soon will shock the nation