Jacky Bikes Nimanhamin

damole

hi

I'm about to buy a Trek bike and as I live on Nimanhamin I'm probably going to get it from Jacky bikes so I'm wondering what are peoples' current experience of the shop, specifically the after sales service.

cheers

damole

It's been a while since I'v gone there for service because it can be so difficult to get any there. One time I went there the staff was out in front not letting customers in saying and was it wasn't open which it obviously was. Ignored or abused was my usual experience. Many local cyclists have mentioned that they also also don't go there anymore. But if they have the bike you want you can buy it (don't get pushed into buying a bike just because they have it there) and always have it serviced somewhere else (and that's opens another huge can of worms). Might want to check the TV cycling forum as well and use the search feature for more info like this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/82088-buy-a-bicycle/

Edited by junglechef

I've had good experience at Jacky, but have to admit it did take a while to develop a relationship. Would not hesitate in buying a bike there.

edit: Wanted to add that there is a relatively new shop in Mae Rim called Dr. Bike, a Probike dealer, and can order virtually anything. The owner speaks good English and is very responsive. Just about a hundred meters south of Makro on the same side of the road.

Edited by T_Dog
  • Like 1

I just wonder if cycles here are heavily subsidised. My mate bought a new bianchi racer recently for 24k, and just told me the same bike in Evans cycles uk is £1000 which is double.

He certainly thinks he got the bargain of the year.

Thanks for heads up on this supplier, I am looking for a Trek myself.

Jacky has the best parts selection. Hard to ignore. I have seen other bike shop owners buying parts there.

Jacky's mechanic is also really good but definitely a language factor communicating with them if the thai skills aren't good.

Chittawat has a new shop next door for new bikes. I try to buy from them if they have what I need. The prices are often a little lower.

Try Chiatawat on Rajchapakinai Rd.

Much cheaper and better service.

They are where I buy my bikes and get them serviced. I can't count how many times that they have fixed something simple for free when I was expecting and willing to pay. They are a pleasure to deal with.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thanks for all the replies.

What I didn't say before is that I have been to nearly all the bike shops in Chiang Mai, at least eight and spoken directly with Probike and Worldwide bike in Bangkok in a quest to find a bike with a large frame. I did a lot of research online and for my height and inside leg measurement I need a 22" frame. Most of the bikes in the shops here are between 16-18".

I also had a personal recommendation from a friend who had years of good service from Chaitawat and really wanted to buy a bike from there.

The only bike that fits my needs in terms of type and size is at Jacky but on my two visits to the shop, the first, as part of my rounds and the second for a test ride I just didn't have a good feeling about the people in the shop. As I will be going back for servicing for sometime I would prefer a place where I thought the staff had a real interest in the customer. It's always possible that once I lay down the cash I will get a better reception. That's why I was looking for current experiences at Jacky specifically. I didn't mention this before so as not to prejudice any replies.

--damole

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

22" (56cm) is not too large. Plenty of those sizes in Chiang Mai Bike Shops.

You said most of them are 16-18. I don't know who told you this. That's an unusually small size for a road bike.

Unless you are taking MTB where the measurements are not quite the same.

I'm talking about a hybrid bike. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Take a measuring tape from the centre of the BB to the top of the seat tube. There are some around which measure 55/56. Right size for you.

I'm following he 109% model.

http://www.ebicycles.com/article/determining-your-bicycle-saddle-height.html#109-saddle-height-formula

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/bikesizeguide#Correct

I've researched extensively on all aspects of the purchase and have been to visit, both LA bike shops, Velocity, Game bikes, Chaitawat, Bike Corner, Tommo, the one that used to be on Sridonchai and the one on Chang Moi. I'm mainly going to be using on the road around Chiang Mai for leisure/exercise purposes but would happily take it for an off road spin if the occasion arises.

--damole

I bought a bike at Jack and that was easy. Like it has been said, he has a good array of parts as well even though only shimano and bontrager. The difficult part was communication! At the beginning before i bought the bike they seemed very disinterested in me and almost rude but after the purchase they were a bit better. I bought most of my bikes at chaitawat and repaired them there as well. He can speak some decent English and he knows how to deal with customers. The mechanic is good as well. Other bicycle shops I am not sure.

They are very clique, esp the owner and seem to treat new people to the shop almost with disdain. Friend bought a bike there, forks screwed up within a week, they told him (very bluntly) the warrantee didn't cover it. Horrible service. Chaitawat fixed it in the end.

If I were you I'd test ride at jackys, then order from Chaitawat. Very likely they can get anything and they are nice human beings there.

• Like 1

So I finally bought my Trek FX 7.2 from Jacky bike for 15,000 Bt. Convinced in part by the following review that not having disc brakes or lockable front shocks was ok.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-hybrid-commuter-bike/

post-38660-0-52083700-1401099264_thumb.j

The first bikes I saw and became interested in when I started looking were the Merida Crossway 100 or 300 hybrids at Chaitawat. Neither were available in my size but there seemed to be some possibility to order from Bangkok. Next up I saw a GT Tachyon 4.0 and shortly after that at Velocity a GT Transeo 4.0 again not in my size. I contacted the importer World wide bike but they had no stock of the larger sizes. They did have a more expensive Specialized hybrid which they said they could order in my size from Bangkok but it was a bit out of my price range. I finally found the Trek in Jacky having visited many shops, some repeatedly in between and as it was the only one of two bike with a large frame, the other being a DBS Logic K350 from Norway in LA Bike on Mahidol road I decided it was the one for me. I contacted Probike who said the only large frame bike they had in stock was a Trek FX 7.4 at almost double the price. I went back to Chaitawat and expressed my concerns about Jacky bike and my desire to purchase from them and convinced them to call Jacky to see if they would sell the bike to Chaitawat and I would buy from them for an extra 500 Bt but Jacky Bike didn't want to sell as they only had one in stock.

Jacky was actually in the shop when I went back to buy the bike but the mechanic was no friendlier even after confirming I was buying the bike. It seems only the frame is under guarantee but servicing is free, for how long I don't know. I'm prepared to get whatever needs to be done at Chaitawat if necessary but hopefully I can engender a sense of friendliness (ความเป็นมิตร) at Jacky. I speak Thai so hopefully that will help.

Thanks again for the replies.

--damole

I've brought my beat up old Trek in for service at Jacky's several times, and every time they stopped whatever they were working on and took care of my bike. They aren't bubbling over with friendliness, but that could be down to language. They had a part I needed that nobody else had (Trek headset bearing unit). Snapped in in place in a half hour for just the price of the part. I call that right on service. I bought the bike used at some local this 'n that shop, so Jacky didn't owe me any consideration.

Good luck in your quest. See you on the mean streets.

They don't like to bother with non-Thai speakers.

I couldn't even get them to sell me a new bike.

I asked a price, and the guy went inside to ask someone. Never came back.

Before, I stopped twice with a service problem, and no one spoke to me at all.

I can eventually take a hint, but I do think it's a language issue more than any ill will.

• Like 1

Firstly thanks for the follow up and hope you enjoy your bike. Wondering why Jackies wouldn't sell the bike to chatiwat but would to you as either way they only had one in stock (to keep for what?) either way?

They don't like to bother with non-Thai speakers.

I couldn't even get them to sell me a new bike.

I asked a price, and the guy went inside to ask someone. Never came back.

Before, I stopped twice with a service problem, and no one spoke to me at all.

I can eventually take a hint, but I do think it's a language issue more than any ill will.

They were not very friendly to me when they used to be on Chang Puak Road. I was looking to buy and I speak Thai, but maybe it was not up to their standards. I ended up buying at Chaitawat a few days later.

I just wonder if cycles here are heavily subsidised. My mate bought a new bianchi racer recently for 24k, and just told me the same bike in Evans cycles uk is £1000 which is double.

He certainly thinks he got the bargain of the year.

Thanks for heads up on this supplier, I am looking for a Trek myself.

That may explain why loads of people seem to be riding Bianchi's for the last couple of years. Loads of locals ride Bianchi when I am out on my tricross. Jacky bikes seems to be getting a bit of negative feedback. I bought a Haro bmx from them when they were in Chang phuak for my nephew. My experience of them is neutral, they are not amazing but if they have what I need I I would buy from them.

So I finally bought my Trek FX 7.2 from Jacky bike for 15,000 Bt. Convinced in part by the following review that not having disc brakes or lockable front shocks was ok.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-hybrid-commuter-bike/

attachicon.gifTrekFX7.2.jpg

The first bikes I saw and became interested in when I started looking were the Merida Crossway 100 or 300 hybrids at Chaitawat. Neither were available in my size but there seemed to be some possibility to order from Bangkok. Next up I saw a GT Tachyon 4.0 and shortly after that at Velocity a GT Transeo 4.0 again not in my size. I contacted the importer World wide bike but they had no stock of the larger sizes. They did have a more expensive Specialized hybrid which they said they could order in my size from Bangkok but it was a bit out of my price range. I finally found the Trek in Jacky having visited many shops, some repeatedly in between and as it was the only one of two bike with a large frame, the other being a DBS Logic K350 from Norway in LA Bike on Mahidol road I decided it was the one for me. I contacted Probike who said the only large frame bike they had in stock was a Trek FX 7.4 at almost double the price. I went back to Chaitawat and expressed my concerns about Jacky bike and my desire to purchase from them and convinced them to call Jacky to see if they would sell the bike to Chaitawat and I would buy from them for an extra 500 Bt but Jacky Bike didn't want to sell as they only had one in stock.

Jacky was actually in the shop when I went back to buy the bike but the mechanic was no friendlier even after confirming I was buying the bike. It seems only the frame is under guarantee but servicing is free, for how long I don't know. I'm prepared to get whatever needs to be done at Chaitawat if necessary but hopefully I can engender a sense of friendliness (ความเป็นมิตร) at Jacky. I speak Thai so hopefully that will help.

Thanks again for the replies.

--damole

Front shocks are not at all necessary if you are simply riding on the road. Disc brakes? I don't use them but I think good for the guys who are doing downhilling or descending mountains at pace. Your bike is perfectly adequate for your needs. Just make sure you keep the chain clean and lightly oiled and don't leave it outside to get rusty etc. Enjoy.

I was recommended to go to Jacky bikes last year for a repair to my single speed. It was just a broken spoke and the rim was perfectly straight. This would be a $10 -$15 repair in Australia but they kept saying that I needed a new wheel. Their attitude was horrible and they were quite fronted when I told them it did not. They told me I must pay them B1500 for a new wheel as not safe.

I went to another store on Changhuak rd and bought the spoke for B20 and a tool for B50, been fine since.

It was the same pompus crap I got when I tried to buy a motorbike. They know nothing but just say, you give me money rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

From my experience that i bought a bicycle carry bag awhile ago ( cost me 2,000 bht), they were a little bit unfriendly.

Dont mind the language, I speak Thai perfectly.

For Trek bike , I would rather try the new Pro-Bike dealer mentioned above. Ask them if they give discount to Pro- Bike member ( in Bangkok ), if they do, PM me, I will tell you my membership.