Rice payments tomorrow

Lite Beer

BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order.

I just can't wrap my head around this statement: what are the conditions in the constitution that forbids the government to repay it's debts? I am sure potential creditors would like to know also...maybe my head has to be square shaped in order to understand..., or the BAAC guy is grasping at straws...

You should have read more before, but ill explain.

The moment you are in caretaker mode as a government you cant spend more as your budget. That is considered vote buying. They had not allocated budget for the farmers before dissolving (groce incompetence).

Its all quite simple and sad actually how incompetent the government is. The farmers had to hurt for that.. i hope they learned something.

But also even before dissolving they were way behind with paying as there was no money and they were waiting for the 2 trillion baht loan to cover it all up. Loaning more before would have meant that they had to admit it was even worse with the rice scheme as they said.

This has nothing to do with the government. The government previously wanted to deplete the BAAC reserves as well, but since the bank is government controlled, there are rules in the constitution regarding what is possible and what not.

The BAAC unions protested against the depleting of the bank reserves, and with reason, because the life savings of the banks customers are at risk if there are not enough reserves.

All this is thrown out of the window now. Let's see how this ends.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be the money that was not available to the ex government?

The military will make sure this money actually goes to the farmers.

Not "diverted" like so much previously appears to have been. Wonder how those checking the flows of funds are progressing?

well, now the former government knows what they needed to do to pay the farmers: throw out the constitution! anyone who thinks YS didn't want the farmers paid is too caught up in their own rhetoric to think clearly. they tried but they were blocked at every turn because the yellow's didn't want the farmers paid- much better for them if it was there to drive a wedge in the government's base.

but it sets a super great precedence: want thing done? throw out the constitution.

super.

Praise Buddha. I was reading all these posts just waiting to read one from someone who actually gets it.

Thank you.

What the former government needed to do was ensure that the payments were in place BEFORE dissolving Parliament. Anything else is spin!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anyone who thinks YS really gives a toss about the farmers believe the own rose tinted views too much.

Idiot farang by name ............................. by nature.!

PTP only tried when backed into a corner by farmers' protests. Prior to that, simply promised and lied as usual.

Edited by Baerboxer

Good question, I was wondering the same. I seem to recall (and I may very well be mistaken) that Yingluck tried to make payments recently, prior to her dismissal, to the farmers and was denied by either BoT or Parliament, can't remember which.

Also, and perhaps I don't understand the farmer/rice thing well enough, but if the 'rice pledging scheme' was such an outrageous crime perpetrated by the previous administration, why is it now suddenly okay? Or am I confusing two different issues?

The money that should have been paid to the farmers mysteriously disappeared, so the ex-government tried to grab replacement funds from anywhere they could find them and were told that they could not extract funds from places such as the bank's liquidity fund.

Nobody has indicated that the rice scam is suddenly okay. It remains an outrageous populist policy which will no doubt be abandoned, or at least drastically reformed.

What General Prayuth is doing is simply making sure that those who were made to suffer from it do not have to suffer any longer...!!

It didn't suddenly disappear.

It had been used to buy crops from previous years that weren't sold. It isn't a complex process to understand. In fact it is very simple which is why it is astounding that the shinawatras ever thought it would work.

If the army actually does pay off the farmers so quickly then its shows just how bad the Shins where are governance and good at inciting trouble... The army look like they have planned this very meticulously and yes, played Taksin at his own game... For the first time in a along while i do think Thailand has a much positive future.... Many events will shape that future but a least the evil one has been cut out of it.

You are joking............right?

well, now the former government knows what they needed to do to pay the farmers: throw out the constitution! anyone who thinks YS didn't want the farmers paid is too caught up in their own rhetoric to think clearly. they tried but they were blocked at every turn because the yellow's didn't want the farmers paid- much better for them if it was there to drive a wedge in the government's base.

but it sets a super great precedence: want thing done? throw out the constitution.

super.

You sounds like Robert Amsterdam, also coming up with blame the others.

you might wane move away from Thailand and work with the government in exile...

It's exactly the same trick that was played in Egypt. Deny the elected government the means to make good on its pledges, make the country ungovernable, then once the military takeover happens, funds become suddenly and magically available. Only someone who was very naive politically could fail to see through the ruse.

Anyway, lets hope the parallels with Egypt stop there.

why werent those funds magically available late august last year.......i wont wait for an answer...i know it already...

GREAT! Ok, and NOW put an order in place that stops loan sharking. Make it possible, with military help, to clear debts at 0% interest. These parasites of society have been sucking the blood and adding to the plight of the poor far too long.

You will never get rid of loan sharks, it's the oldest profession in the world.

I'm not sure that any laws are possible that would eradicate the interest on loans from loan sharks. Laws only apply to people who are law-abiding, loan sharks operate outside the law and hence the laws don't apply.

The answer would be simply don't put the farmers in a position where they need to turn to loan sharks. Additionally make crisis loans available without the need for loan sharks.

• Like 1

If the army actually does pay off the farmers so quickly then its shows just how bad the Shins where are governance and good at inciting trouble... The army look like they have planned this very meticulously and yes, played Taksin at his own game... For the first time in a along while i do think Thailand has a much positive future.... Many events will shape that future but a least the evil one has been cut out of it.

tell me whats wrong with this post then...

In a report just last week from the Govt Audit Office (the one the lady was sacked from for telling the truth) said that the total cost of the scheme to date was 878 billion and that the LOSS was estimated at 500 billion.

The 20 billion that was borrowed from the central budget supposidly to pay farmers was to be paid back to said central budget by the 31th of this month.

According to the caretaker Minister of Commerce it has already been paid back and they were planning first to apply for another 40 billion which was then raised to 60 billion, don't know what happened after that.

If money can be borrowed then from the central budget, needing the approval of the EC because of the caretaker Govt status I don't see why the 80 billion needed cant now come from the central budget.

If the NACC says it can come up with 55 billion then all that is needed from the central budget is 25 billion, not that much more than the previous loan.

Robby,

Would loss not be the true cost (500 billion) of the program and 878 billion just the money tied up in it ? I am anti government but we need to be a bit fair too. Could be that im reading it wrong.

I am only quoting what I wrote down when I read the report which was in the one we shall not quote.

I suspect if you were to go there and do a search you would find the report.

super.

Praise Buddha. I was reading all these posts just waiting to read one from someone who actually gets it.

Thank you.

Or perhaps the junta is confident that now they have a handle on some of the perpetrators of the rice fraud, something the previous government and the police never even tried to do, they will be able to retrieve some of the vast amount of money that was filched.

For decades people have been crying out for Thailand to clean up it's act and now, maybe, the opportunity is there. Of course it won't be pretty at first but democracy and the constitution have been abused here for too long that's only to be expected.

• Like 2

Good question, I was wondering the same. I seem to recall (and I may very well be mistaken) that Yingluck tried to make payments recently, prior to her dismissal, to the farmers and was denied by either BoT or Parliament, can't remember which.

Also, and perhaps I don't understand the farmer/rice thing well enough, but if the 'rice pledging scheme' was such an outrageous crime perpetrated by the previous administration, why is it now suddenly okay? Or am I confusing two different issues?

Yes, you seem not to understand.

The rice pledging scheme bought the rice from the farmers at a standardised price that was higher than market price. The government was therefore supposed to pay for it (definition of "buying" something is that the item [rice] is exchanged for money [baht]).

The previous government not only did not pay for it for many months, and that was one of the catalysts to the protests, but they appear to have been lying about how many had not been paid.

I saw claims saying 80% had been paid, but "only" 20% had not. Now we see that 80,000 farmers had not been paid - a far cry from the previous governments other claim that it was "only" 3000 who had missed out.

Now it seems that the previous governments figures were totally out of whack, as the system has apparently paid out 100 billion baht, with a further 80 billion owing, and which is to be paid now.

So... 100+90 = 190 billion baht in total for rice payments. Therefore the real figure for the percentage owing is 90/190 = 47%.... NOT 20% as per the PTP statement.

The payments are to be made from general revenue, and funds held by the Agricultural Bank.

(Just edited, as I realised the 80 billion was wrong, should have read 90 billion - my apologies).

Edited by Greer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Correct. See again the following statement:

"BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order."

It has been the BAAC's position that it could not comply with the government order to pay the farmers.

Former Phitsanulok Democrat MP Dechgitvigrom urges Prayuth to further provide farmers assistance in reducing the cost of fertilisers and pesticides.

Wait a minute. Isn't this a populist policy (ie., using price controls or subsidies to benefit the electorate) that Democrats and Suthep in particular said they would ban from government because it could influence voters by essentially "buying" their votes? Maybe Dechgitvigrom is looking ahead when Democrats will be in the next election and wants votes. At least the good news is maybe there will be a next election.

It would appear from Wikipedia's report on "Rice Production in Thailand" that the small rice farmer's current plight is the result of government policies carried out from the 1950's to the mid 1980's. So if you want to find the culprit, ask yourself who controlled the Thai government during that time period.

Key excerpts from the Wikipedia article are as follows:

"The [Thai] government wanted to promote urban growth and one of the ways it accomplished this was by taxing the rice industry and using the money in big cities. In fact, during 1953, tax on rice accounted for 32 percent of government revenue. The government set a monopoly price on exports, which increased tax revenue and kept domestic prices low for Thailand. The overall effect was a type of income transfer from farmers to the government and to urban consumers (who purchased rice). These policies on rice were called the "rice premium," which was used until 1985 when the government finally gave into political pressure. The shift away from protecting the peasant rice farmers by the government moved the rice industry away from the egalitarian values that were enjoyed by farmers to more of a modern-day, commercial, profit-maximizing industry.

A large portion of [Thailand’s rapid] expansion was due to increased production of rice in northeast Thailand. While in the past, central Thailand was the main producer of rice, northeast Thailand quickly caught up to a comparable amount of production. This was in part due to the new road systems between northeast Thailand and the shipping focused cities on the coastline. The villages that had a significant portion of rice production were also changing as farmers went from more subsistence practices to mostly wage labor (exchange labor also virtually disappeared).

Cows were being replaced for tractors to work on the farm and irrigation technology was updated in most villages. The green revolution was just starting to spread among the world’s agricultural industries. Rice farmers and merchants took advantage of new rice varieties, strains, fertilizers, and other technological advances. The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) was also disseminating knowledge, technology, new rice strains, and other information to rice producers in Thailand. From the 1950s to 1970’s rice production per unit of land increased by almost 50 percent

While all of these advances helped improve overall production of rice in Thailand, many low-income farmers in Thailand were left worse off. Many peasants were unable to hold onto their land that they used to harvest rice and had to become tenants to survive. The government would always expect tax revenue, even during a bad year, and this pushed many low-income farmers even closer to the margin. New technologies also pushed up the entrance cost of rice farming and made it harder for farmers to own their land and produce rice."

super.

your handle name suits you. YL had ZERO intentions of paying farmers... because #1 she had "nothing to do with it" even though she was at the top of the pyramid.

it took more than 5 months to get any money to farmers.

during this time, all their other schemes were paid off/ approved

and why in hell would they want to pass a zillion dollar loan to "improve thailand" but not to pay farmers.

... seriously. .. use your brain.

heres a riddle for you.

what do you say to someone who you owe money too but have no intention of paying?

give up?

"ill pay you later"

Precisely. 2 TRILLION is what they wanted for a 'high speed train network' and dubious water containment schemes dry.png , but not the comparatively much smaller amount to pay the broke, up to their eyes in debt to loan shark, farmers. Something some posters on this forum conveniently overlook.

The caretaker commerce minister in one of his few bouts of truths, or slips, said they had intended to borrow from the 'infrastructure budget' to pay the farmers.

There was only one infrastructure budget, or in truth off budget.

No I'm not going to go back and look for a link.

tell me what is wrong with this post then...

If the Army does come up with the cash quickly, then it tells you that it was the Army or the people who control the Army that were stopping the cash from reaching the farmers in the first place.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The money that should have been paid to the farmers mysteriously disappeared, so the ex-government tried to grab replacement funds from anywhere they could find them and were told that they could not extract funds from places such as the bank's liquidity fund.

Nobody has indicated that the rice scam is suddenly okay. It remains an outrageous populist policy which will no doubt be abandoned, or at least drastically reformed.

What General Prayuth is doing is simply making sure that those who were made to suffer from it do not have to suffer any longer...!!

How was the money ever there when they weren't selling the rice. I assume that when the government pledged to purchase rice and pay farmers that they would have to in theory borrow the money to pay them and then replace when rice sold. What kind of things went on to do this is unclear. But in theory it would have been some kind of swing loan until rice sold. This is how is should have worked. We will never know how this really worked as politicians are not the best people to orchestrate these things. It is amazing how the junta can find the funds the government was blocked from getting.

That's my guess to.

• Like 1

There are regulations regarding the use of money. The Yingluck administration had to deal with the availability of funds set forth. As stated on the original article, because the Constitution was suspended, only could the military withdraw any funds as they wish. There would be no restrictions in place. So those who wondered why the Yingluck administration couldn't provide the money and the army could, this is the simple answer. There are laws governing the allocation of money.

On a side note, those cheering for General Prayuth's payments to the farmers as a good sign. Keep in mind, regulations were in force for a reason, to ensure economic stability. A simple example, if a bank is allowed a 0.9 ratio as set by the central bank of Thailand. If a bank has 10,000,000 million in deposits by customers, they can only loan out 9,000,000. This margin of safety allows for any doubtful accounts to not influence the standing foundation of the bank and prevent a collapse. People make mistakes and calculations, and reserves will serve as a back up net.

While I support the intentions of the general, he may not be experienced enough in the economic market. 35 Billion is still needed after the 55billion drawn up. The army will speak to financial institution heads this coming week. Those that agreed to provide the money for the farmers, will immediately see my funds removal from their banks, and my stocks withdrawn from those particular banks. There is no fundamental backing behind those money given to the farmers. Taking money from customers of the banks and the banks money to repay for a cause inflicted by YL with no responsibility. It would have been more righteous to freeze her assets and to use those money to pay for the farmers. Why us? Those banks who will agree to let the money out, will be doing it illegally if there was a constitution in place. How will they explain this transaction? A donation with customer's funds?

The farmers were promised way above market prices if they signed up for the 'Yingluck rice scheme'. They signed up, delivered their rice, got payment documents, then no funds in the appropriate 'account', so they weren't paid, and some have been waiting for 8 months for their entitled payments.

There way a massive allocation from the national budget to promptly pay the farmers and pay other costs. The fund is empty and has been for a while, and where it's all gone is an open and serious question, with suggestions of massive corruption.

Demands from various quarters for the government to show the accounts of the whole scheme produced numerous different (quite different) versions of the accounts, much of this accounting illogical and even laughable. Including claims that it had to remain secret.

One senior government ministerial official spoke out on a personal basis about the lack of transparency and suspicions of 'dirty dealings', and she was promptly dismissed. She has since become a commissioner of the NACC (National Anti Corruption Commission).

'No funds...' is complex and other TV members can explain this more clearly than I can.

Part of the 'problem' was that when the fund became 'broke', the yingluck government tried to 'order' government linked banks to use general depositors funds (nothing whatever to do with the rice scheme) to provide funds to pay the farmers.

This generated instant removal of massive amounts of general deposits funds, and fears that banks might crash. Other attempts by the yingluck government to get mainstream banks to loan funds to the government met with a deafening refusal. These banks refused to get involved for fear that this action my be illegal and they had some fears of a general depositor backlash if they were seen as supporting the gov't.

The proceeds from the actual sale of the rice was supposed to go back to the fund but in reality there are millions of tons of rice unsold, a lot of it now very old and unattractive to buyers, and some deteriorated to the point where it cannot be sold. There are also ongoing suspicions that large amounts of the stock pile have disappeared.

Additionally there are suggestions that rice was shipped in from Cambodia by unscrupulous folks claiming it was grown in Thailand and these 'farmers' now holding documents for payment (payment from tax payers funds, the common wealth of all Thai citizen).

Additionally other countries (Vietnam, India and more) today grow good quality rice, they are good at the commercial aspects of the trade, they have gained the upper hand and have now supplied the needs of numerous buyer countries, many of whom previously bought rice from Thailand. Further they may well become the supplier of choice.

General Prayuth...

Why not PLAY Dr. Thaksin at his own GAME....

Take the funds the were confiscated from him and settle all Debts to The Farmers with it.

As you stand alone being able to make this decision and have to answer to nobody! It cannot be thought to be a move to buy Votes or anything Corrupt.

Investigate these Shark Loans that had to be used to enable Farmers to Continue. If they are found to be connected to the Former Government or Red Shirt Dynasty. Work to remove this burden fro our Farmers Backs, the Burden to to great already!

Use the funds as also a mode of repaying with Interest debts owed by gettig Seed, Feltilizer and other Costs reduced so the Farming Communities see the true meaning behind your Motives here! Remember alot of the Class of people who are linked to this field work Cannot read.. They maybe Limited here, but what better way of getting approval ratting from eventually a Greater Percentage of the Thai Nation, then showing them your "Words" are worth more than Gold!

Words spoken behind doors, in classrooms, on Buses, in Malls at Markets... almost will travel at the speed of Light! Bringing more Thank you to your Soldiers on Duty, on the street. Causing Smiles to be truely show on the faces of everyone... Maybe for the first time in Many Years... To be worn Honestly!

Now is the time to stop the Stench in the Air here in Thailand. Far worse then any Pig Sh-t on our Pork Farms... There is not enough Air Freshener in the World to dispense this smell. The only way to eliminate this stench is at the source.

Let Interpol Get the job done and return it to Thailand so we can purge the Air we breathe...

If the Army does come up with the cash quickly, then it tells you that it was the Army or the people who control the Army that were stopping the cash from reaching the farmers in the first place.

Please read the article again. Self explanatory.

"BAAC president Luck Wajananawat said as the Constitution has been suspended, the bank could disburse from its reserves and the farmers' fund to pay farmers at the earliest following orders from the National Council for Peace and Order."

NOW I understand - suspend the Constitution and cash magically appears. But.......does this cash come the the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy?

TROLL alert... .. This is just weird.

Please read the article again. Self explanatory.

Utley...

I think what I am about to say is beginning to be already a thought Firmed in the Minds of more Users here on T.V.

""Just because YOUR Free money has stopped flowing... No need for you to invest in Fishing Hardware... You have already shown you only have one thing you are good at... {Selective Reading}!!!!

No Constitution... No Government... Only Laws to be Abided by are those Imposed by General Prayuth! Funds are available and can be used, they are no longer being Sheltered and restricted by Corupt means... By ANYONE!

By you saying That the Military has had these funds, hidden... I believe you have openned yourself up to Charges of Slander. Slandering the Leader of Thailand no matter how he came to be, without the proper channels being used, would be the same as Imposing your words against anyone in the Royal Family. If this was not being seen in their eyes as a "Must Do"! situation... believe me we would have seen and heard something by now!

Remember the Courts and Legal System here in Thailand is Still in Place, as was aparently seen and followed beforehand as Doing Their Job Correctly!

• Like 1

super.

then why were they not paid before the demos started, when they were supposed to originally get paid, months before the demos started?