Throttle Body keep or replace?

So there was a problem before you took it off.

Fuel flow to the injectors is controlled by the ECU; the ECU gets its data from various other sensors on the bike. It is highly unlikely that all 4 injectors are bad.

It is probably a choke issue, but it needs to go on a diagnostic to check out the other sensors. You could check the sensors yourself if you have a digital multimeter and the workshop manual specs.

What is the bike?

So there was a problem before you took it off.

Fuel flow to the injectors is controlled by the ECU; the ECU gets its data from various other sensors on the bike. It is highly unlikely that all 4 injectors are bad.

It is probably a choke issue, but it needs to go on a diagnostic to check out the other sensors. You could check the sensors yourself if you have a digital multimeter and the workshop manual specs.

What is the bike?

These bikes dont have chokes. No fault codes diagnostics are built in to the bike all sensors ect,map, etc are functioning as they should. I also doubt all injectors are bad but why not get them checked as long as theyre out?

Let me ask my panel of experts in the States- I'll let you know what they think ASAP.;)

Appreciate it...not sure if fuel is causing all that build up or what?

Edited by yankee99

The obvious issue is the dry rot on the boots- you should be able to get away with replacing them and straightening the rest up with carb cleaner.

I'm awaiting a reply from a race-mechanic- he'll have a pretty good idea- he nailed that other thing we talked about.

When I bought my first FI car in 1995, I went to the service manager at the dealership. Asked him what I should do re: maintenance that is different from carburated engines.

He said to use fuel injector cleaner additive - small amount with each fillup.

Was never one for additives in oil or fuel, but thought I would give it a try.

At aprox 75K km there was a recall for faulty head gasket. Made an appointment to have my car done, and asked to see the cylinder head before it was reinstalled. They said come back after coffee in the morning.

The intake tract, back of intake valves, and combustion chambers looked like new. No deposits on any surface.

Made a believer out of me.

Food for thought once you get yours cleaned.

Edited by seedy

The obvious issue is the dry rot on the boots- you should be able to get away with replacing them and straightening the rest up with carb cleaner.

I'm awaiting a reply from a race-mechanic- he'll have a pretty good idea- he nailed that other thing we talked about.

Speaking of the boots all the clamps were loose and one was missing a nut so someone was doing backyard mechanics.

I can get a used unit for sub $100 plus shipping but the condition is still a crap shoot.

Here's what I got from the race-wrench (I'm not sure what he means by 'hot wax enricheners' and I'm trying to find out):

Looks like they have the old hot wax enricheners. Make sure they work properly.

Toss them in your heated ultrasonic cleaner for awhile. Then get out the Scotch Brite.

I'd test the injectors to make sure they don't leak or drip.

Find out exactly what year and model they are off of. Some older Hondas had a vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator that would fail and fill her up with gas.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Here's his response:;)

Yes, it looks like an old heap and you can see the tops of the plungers clearly on the top photo, on the right side. They are the things with the adjuster screws and lock nuts. They are also shown in the pulled up position. <deleted> Honda did some weird stuff. I guess their way eliminated an electrical idle air control devise with a purely mechanical one. They get stuck, people don't realize it and try to "tune" around it.

Anyway, coolant flows into this little tea pot on the assembly, heats up a wax like substance which expands and closes off the enrichners. Cools down and they crawl open again. Provided they have not rotted or rusted in place.

• Like 1

That last post by RSD explains a lot about possibly why that rich condition exists

Wonder if your friend knows of a year Honda did better with those?

Yankee could maybe find that years throttle body on Ebay for a good price?

I am going to assume the wax valve is working as the idle changes after warm up but I can pull it and test with boiling water.

The valves look like dirty valves that can probably be cleaned with a homebrew sea foam.

The adjuster screws are used to sync the carbs with number 3 being fixed.

Disassembled the wax unit and it looked liked it just came from the factory. Extends about 1/4" with boiling water.

Cleaning the TB in diesel fuel overnight and will self clean the injectors in the AM. Going to try and use auto seals for the injectors if i can get close.

This thread is exactly one of the reasons why I want to build myself an EFI injector flow & cycling test bench. I do recall reading somewhere that there is an EFI flow bench in Bangkok

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk