cnn poll, Would martial law in Thailand stop you visiting?

stevehaigh

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess for the most of the worlds population Thailand is similar country as Angola or Chile. A country out there.

If these countries are under martial law, it's good reason not to get there.

We're here and know how the land lies, or at least we think we do.

If I were an outsider wanting to backpack, have an adventure holiday and just take things as they come, then I wouldn't worry too much, apart from the curfew which will hopefully be relaxed shortly.

If I wanted a place to take my family then that's a different matter. No way would I risk it at the moment, regardless of what blogs and social media may say.

Well let's weigh the problems:

You have to be in your hotel room by 10 PM (and can't even go out for a 7-11 coke, as they are closed also)

Police and army presence after dark.

Your travel insurance probably will not cover you for anything that may happen, especially if it's coup related. (because your country most likely put up a traveler's advisory)

Possibility of a civil war.

Rainy season (OK bring it on, but it is that time of year)

Why would anyone choose Thailand after reading all the news?

In the meantime, let's all enjoy the light traffic, good surf, and uncrowded beaches. (maybe even a bit cleaner water in the klongs, aye?)

Coke in hotel fridge, curfew will not last much longer

Army presence , great keeps the ratbags of the streets

Travel insurance will still cover you for most things as long as you do not get involved in things you should not

Now the army has taken over there is no possibilty of civil war, all the trouble makers are locked up or have gone home

Love the rainy season

Phuket is not Bangkok and in a week or so Bangkok will be back to normal

Edited by nedkellylives
  • Like 1

If I were an outsider wanting to backpack, have an adventure holiday and just take things as they come, then I wouldn't worry too much, apart from the curfew which will hopefully be relaxed shortly.

If I wanted a place to take my family then that's a different matter. No way would I risk it at the moment, regardless of what blogs and social media may say.

My daughter Emailed me about the army taking over and i told her no problems for tourists in Phuket

and its safe to have a holliday here, it surprises me someone with a business here would worry about

family members having a holliday here at present, just have to make sure they do not get run over by a water truck

My daughter Emailed me about the army taking over and i told her no problems for tourists in Phuket

and its safe to have a holliday here, it surprises me someone with a business here would worry about

family members having a holliday here at present, just have to make sure they do not get run over by a water truck

Ned, I was being hypothetical, attempting to put myself in a potential tourist's shoes.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree;

if ur a Family of 4 and are spending $1,000's of $$ to get here and have to book ur hotel.

why would u come on the chance it "might" turn ugly?

Better go somewhere there is no trouble.

Those already here, just head somewhere south of Bangkok, not to far South)

Agree.. As a tourist, you are looking for safe fun place to have a vacation

There are thousands of possible vacation destinations

So would not make any sense to pick Thailand given the current situation

Or course, living here, I do not have any fear for my or my families safety because of the martial law... In fact, actually feel that Thailand is safer because of it, compared just a month ago...

That being said, it not already living here, would likely take a "wait and see" approach if I was not already here and thinking about coming for the first time

Or if was

Planning a vacation, would likely pick some where else this year...

That's just being honest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CWMcMurray
  • Like 1

I would definitely stop my visit if a country I wanted to travel to was under martial law. Thats an obvious sign that anything can happen. But it also depends if you're traveling as a backpacker or with a family. Flying solo could be 50/50 but for sure with family/wife/girl friend I would rather have a more stress free vacation.

Well let's weigh the problems:

You have to be in your hotel room by 10 PM (and can't even go out for a 7-11 coke, as they are closed also)

Police and army presence after dark.

Your travel insurance probably will not cover you for anything that may happen, especially if it's coup related. (because your country most likely put up a traveler's advisory)

Possibility of a civil war.

Rainy season (OK bring it on, but it is that time of year)

Why would anyone choose Thailand after reading all the news?

In the meantime, let's all enjoy the light traffic, good surf, and uncrowded beaches. (maybe even a bit cleaner water in the klongs, aye?)

Coke in hotel fridge, curfew will not last much longer

Army presence , great keeps the ratbags of the streets

Travel insurance will still cover you for most things as long as you do not get involved in things you should not

Now the army has taken over there is no possibilty of civil war, all the trouble makers are locked up or have gone home

Love the rainy season

Phuket is not Bangkok and in a week or so Bangkok will be back to normal

Travel Insurance companies often use the Travel advisories as reasons not to pay out if there is an incident in the country/region concerned.

Read the fine print.

They were under martial law the first time I came here with the intention of checking out the place as a retirement possibility. I'm still here and the current 'martial law' doesn't bother me anymore than it did when I first showed up. You work with it, accept it. The tourists and expats that are hardy enough to come regardless of the political situation are generally much more interesting anyhow. Well, imho of course. ;)

yes I would have left last month, and as a tourist I am definitely leaving in just a couple of days, you guys can have this place I was overall not impressed by the three cities I visited. (Phuket Town, Patong and Chiang Mai)

Aye, aye! I'll second that ;)

Why would I want to visit Thailand whilst martial law and what goes with it is in place?

It's not as if it's the most wonderful country in the world to visit.........unless you want unlimited, cheap sex.

• Like 1

a certain kinf of people will come to visit places annually like pattaya or phuket, because they feel the need to be a 2 week millionaire and they can secuce any girl for the night, for the right fee, what they cannot do in their home country

Have started selling up and getting ready to retire in Thailand, not seen anything to worry me as I am in bed before 10pm anyway. I am still intending on flying out in October, I have been all over the world working and touring and understand the keep safe way of travelling and understanding other peoples way of life. Martial law in Thailand seems safer than a lot of places I have been to over the years. London, Moscow, New York, Manchester etc etc can be very dangerous if you go to the wrong place and the wrong time.

Have started selling up and getting ready to retire in Thailand, not seen anything to worry me as I am in bed before 10pm anyway. I am still intending on flying out in October, I have been all over the world working and touring and understand the keep safe way of travelling and understanding other peoples way of life. Martial law in Thailand seems safer than a lot of places I have been to over the years. London, Moscow, New York, Manchester etc etc can be very dangerous if you go to the wrong place and the wrong time.

You mean there's actually a wrong time and place that Manchester can be dangerous?