Best grass to lay to avoid too much mowing?

mikey88

I understand of course that all grass needs mowing...but can anyone whose laid a good serviceable turf let me know the name and perhaps where I can purchase?

I was thinking of some kind of carpet grass but not sure....I'll be away for a few months on end and prefer something that doesn't grow tall...

• Like 1

i am told ya-nuannoi is a slow grower and tolerant to drought and low temperatures. In english its called manilla grass, zoysia matrella. It likes sun but not great in the shade. Its the turf they use on a lot of top golf course fairways where slow growth is one of its advantages.

Edited by sandmonster

i am told ya-nuannoi is a slow grower and tolerant to drought and low temperatures. In english its called manilla grass, zoysia matrella. It likes sun but not great in the shade. Its the turf they use on a lot of top golf course fairways where slow growth is one of its advantages.

I have nuanoi and it is a really nice grass. However come the rainy season I am mowing it every 7-10 days.

Nua Noi and Zoysia Matrella ( manilla grass) are not the same. They look similar but are not the same.

Nua Noi and Zoysia Matrella ( manilla grass) are not the same. They look similar but are not the same.

They are the same according to wiki and everywhere else in google.

back in 2007 laid over 1 rai of grass

we sucessfully used malay for shaded areas and nua noi for sunshine areas,and some 7 yrs later both varietys are looking good and strong ,but we do have a full water sprinkler system

both can be easily purchased at the flower/garden centre behind testco,super highway,all have a nice morningsmile.png

back in 2007 laid over 1 rai of grass

we sucessfully used malay for shaded areas and nua noi for sunshine areas,and some 7 yrs later both varietys are looking good and strong ,but we do have a full water sprinkler system

both can be easily purchased at the flower/garden centre behind testco,super highway,all have a nice morningsmile.png

The above is the advice I received and I bought 800 sqm of mainly nua noi.

It has been fine. Despite regular watering I have not cut it for over 2 weeks and does not look too bad. Last year, after a month in the UK, it was nor nearly as over-grown as I expected.

I will shortly lay another 800 sqm and I am contemplating using Malay turf as this is a darker green. Importantly, it has still grown in sunny areas.

I buy from Nakhon Nayok at a fraction of the local cost. Last year the 800 sqm cost me around 16,000 Baht including 3,500 Baht delivery.post-190508-0-89619900-1401064486_thumb.

Edited by Jip99