Possibility that US banks refusing WireTransfers

No news of that yet...but thanks for scaring the bejesus out of me. It might happen in the future...but then that would indicate a lack of confidence in Thai Banks...and weaken the Baht.

Quote your sources. Hope this is just a rumor...and if it is...you posted in in haste.

A Small Savings Bank had assured me that there would be consideration of taking steps in this direction. Especially because of the volatility in the pass .

In my opinion, it was an appropriate question for the present situation . Your correct as far as I know It isn't a rumor.

Excuse me TV ! I posted The topic titled

but you posted

It should be "Could the Coup effect bank transfers" ?

Please edit your Thailand Travel Headline Thank You

Since my cash deposits in Thailand are made by wiring money to the Bangkok Bank branch in NY that seems highly unlikely. Can't see why any bank in the US would think refusing to wire money to Thailand served any purpose as far as they were concerned. Banks make money by providing services not by political posturing.

• Like 1

Excuse me TV ! I posted The topic titled

but you posted

It should be "Could the Coup effect bank transfers" ?

Please edit your Thailand Travel Headline Thank You

You are confused that was a different topic initiated by a different member. Sorry.... it's not about you.... w00t.gif

rolleyes.gif No, not because of the coup.

However, my former bank (a small regional bank in New England) started a policy of NOT allowing wire transfers into Thailand (actually outside the U.S. as a whole) except for business account customers since October 25th, 2013.

As a "personal account" holder I have not been able to do a wire transfer from that bank since that time.

A "business account" requires me to have a monthly balance of a $5000 minimum in my account. My monthly balance is less than $5000, so I can not get a "business account" or initiate a wire transfer from my "personal account" to Thailand. I can however, use their ATM/debit card on line to purchase items (and to pay my rent here in Bangkok, but NOT transfer cash.

Isn't that a stupid thing for them to do?

I opened another bank account with another bank which will transfer money to me in Bangkok. I now pay my rent from one bank account and get cash from the other bank.

Whatever.

Banks (and I don't mean Mickey Mouse building societies, Credit Unions or similar) are in the business of making money. This littlle cafuffle would not worry them in the least.

If WWIII broke out tomorrow, the world banks would be rubbing their little hands together and transferring money all over the world with delight.

Ka-Ching!!!

The USA or any other country has not implemented or even suggested any sanctions against Thailand. Except for withdrawing Thailand's $3M military aid which is a legal requirement during this situation. Which is chump change anyway. So it's perfectly safe to remove your adult diapers.

• Like 1

Don't mean to hijack this topic but.....

As a very UN-Happy US-HSBC internet accout holder may I ask what USA banks you reccomend

for transfers to and from Thailand without needing the 5000 dollar minium in account to do wire/tranfers???

cheers

Don't mean to hijack this topic but.....

As a very UN-Happy US-HSBC internet accout holder may I ask what USA banks you reccomend

for transfers to and from Thailand without needing the 5000 dollar minium in account to do wire/tranfers???

cheers

I use XE to purchase baht and draft from my US account at no charge. They then wire the baht to Bank of Bangkok ...for 21 dollars. As long as you have the routing number in the USA and the Swift Code here....you are set. The names on both accounts can be different.

I have an account with Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct).

I do an ACH transfer from them to Bangkok Bank New York at no charge from Capital One 360. Bangkok Bank then takes their usual small cut and sends it over to my account here in Thailand.

You can open a Capital One 360 account online. I highly recommend them. Do a Google search for Capital One 360 if interested.

ACH transfers are much cheaper than Swift Transfers.