Suthep, 24 other PDRC leaders released on bail

webfact

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 of the 24 UDD leaders were bailed once on terrorism charges after spending 9 months in jail. Korkaew Pikulthong was sent back to jail in November 2012 as the Criminal Court ruled he had breached his bail conditions. Arisman was denied bail then granted it after posting a bond of 6 Million baht (not 100, 000 baht) in December 2012.

Regarding Arisman: wasn't the unusual (for Thailand) bail amount set after he ran away?

The bail amounts themselves are meaningless when it comes to most Thai politicians and wealthy businessmen, not like

it would make a huge obstacle one way or another.

Arisman left the country as he feared for his life - 5 UDD local leaders were killed in the days and weeks after the 19th May. He surrendered to the authorities when he deemed the political climate was safe to do so. He was hardly likely to be a flight risk after the he had surrended himself was he?

The bail amounts are significant when you compare sutheps bail with the bail amounts set for UDD supporters who were jailed for breaking the emergency decree in 2010. These amounts were not achievable for them and resulted in them remaining in jail. Others were refused bail repeatedly. Then we Sondhi for example - bailed 6 times, the last time for lese majeste, the charge before that 20 years for corruption. He hasn't seen the inside of a jail once. That is what is wrong with the judicial system - well there are others things wrong but it would not be prudent to mention them in the current climate

Well, he did the rope trick before that.

Most other leaders did not run away, although some surrendered almost immediately. Don't recall them being executed.

But then Arisman was always a bit of a drama queen.

Not quite following your logic - the man decided to run away twice, for whatever reasons. Comes back and surrenders when

it suits him. What's to say he wouldn't do another runner?

I did not compare Suthep's bail with ordinary demonstrators, my point was exactly that the bail amounts are a non issue for

most politicians and businessmen. That allowing bail has to do with connections, wealth and standing is agreed. One can cite

examples on both sides of the political divide, and a lot of others which are not necessarily political per se.

"These amounts were not achievable for them and resulted in them remaining in jail."

You fail to mention the amount. Also you might remember that only some of the UDD leaders were helped by Pheu Thai MPs guaranteeing bail whereas the poor cannon fodder was left to rot and garnish symphaty fro the 'cause'.

Anyway, here we had Suthep brought to court by the Army to hear the formal charge of 'premediatated murder as private person'. Let the court case proceed thumbsup.gif

To be expected from you. Your suggestion that the redshirts were "left to rot" to elicit sympathy is typical of your partisan thinking and frankly, pathetic. Not a single criticism about the political system that branded the entire UDD membership as terrorists or the judicial system that set high bails or refused bail - they were the ones "left to rot". Of course, your sources (the nation and tvf) indicated otherwise no doubt.

KHON KAEN – Three Red Shirt prisoners were released on bail from Khon Kaen Central Prison yesterday evening, a little over one week since four newly-elected Pheu Thai government representatives offered their parliamentary status as surety for their release. All three suspects had been detained on charges related to last year’s May 19 arson and violence in Khon Kaen city.

The prisoners’ release came on the same day that a Mahasarakham judge denied the bail requests of nine detained Red Shirt prisoners and just one day after an Ubon Ratchathani court sentenced four Red Shirt protesters to 34 years in prison for their part in the destruction of Ubon’s provincial hall.

Khon Kaen’s Red Shirt prisoners are just four of around 100 Red Shirt suspects still awaiting trial for charges related to last year’s bloody protests in Bangkok and the provinces. But after nine Pheu Thai representatives secured bail for 22 Red Shirt prisoners in Udon Thani on August 16, their success ignited a nationwide initiative to release untried Red Shirts still detained on charges from last summer’s violent Red Shirt protests.

Achara Ashayagachat

A year after the May 19 crackdown, more than 130 red shirts who resisted the military are still behind bars. Their bail requests have been repeatedly denied by the courts

Most of the detainees, especially those in the northeastern provinces of Mukdahan, Ubon Ratchathani and Udon Thani, were charged with arson of state properties.

About 800 red shirts were arrested nationwide and most of them were gradually released due to lack of evidence.

A total of 175 people nationwide including Bangkok were charged under the emergency decree with acts of violence and other criminal charges including terrorism.

Of those, five were released after serving jail time, and 35 were released on bail.

Most detainees faced multiple charges. The charges concerning damaging state properties and arson have proven to be the most complicated and lengthy.

The bail set for these red shirt detainees is high 500,000 baht on average.

Mr Anond said while the UDD and Pheu Thai party have said they are willing to act as guarantors, the courts have denied the red shirts' requests for bail.

Not that anyone will read this but r we all under the delusion that this is a country that operates under "The rule of Law" I assume not r should think we all know better. For some ridiculous reason I love this place.. But it's not the rational side of my brain for such thought . So when it comes to Thai politics . Think corruption , abuse, greed , stupidity .. But last of all intellect !

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I think that Khun Suthep and the other Anti-Demonstration leaders should get a metal for sticking their necks out and peacefully leading demonstrations for six month, even so fellow demonstrators kept getting attacked, injured and killed.

If it was not for Khun Suthep and all the faithful demonstrators out there, Thaksin would be back with full Amnesty and the would continue raping the Country. wai2.gif

Agree. He's a hero of the people and it will be widely regarded as such in the history books, if not now.

He has risked his life to stop Thaksin.

What he's achieved is amazing, especially considering the tactics employed by Thaksin and his red shirts.

Just my opinion of course and I know there are other perspectives (however deluded, again IMHO).

In fact I reckon this headline has probably drawn out every farang Thaksin supporter in Thailand. Stick together guys, your numbers are dwindling :) never too late to change sides ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by looping

"These amounts were not achievable for them and resulted in them remaining in jail."

You fail to mention the amount. Also you might remember that only some of the UDD leaders were helped by Pheu Thai MPs guaranteeing bail whereas the poor cannon fodder was left to rot and garnish symphaty fro the 'cause'.

Anyway, here we had Suthep brought to court by the Army to hear the formal charge of 'premediatated murder as private person'. Let the court case proceed thumbsup.gif

To be expected from you. Your suggestion that the redshirts were "left to rot" to elicit sympathy is typical of your partisan thinking and frankly, pathetic. Not a single criticism about the political system that branded the entire UDD membership as terrorists or the judicial system that set high bails or refused bail - they were the ones "left to rot". Of course, your sources (the nation and tvf) indicated otherwise no doubt.

KHON KAEN – Three Red Shirt prisoners were released on bail from Khon Kaen Central Prison yesterday evening, a little over one week since four newly-elected Pheu Thai government representatives offered their parliamentary status as surety for their release. All three suspects had been detained on charges related to last year’s May 19 arson and violence in Khon Kaen city.

The prisoners’ release came on the same day that a Mahasarakham judge denied the bail requests of nine detained Red Shirt prisoners and just one day after an Ubon Ratchathani court sentenced four Red Shirt protesters to 34 years in prison for their part in the destruction of Ubon’s provincial hall.

Khon Kaen’s Red Shirt prisoners are just four of around 100 Red Shirt suspects still awaiting trial for charges related to last year’s bloody protests in Bangkok and the provinces. But after nine Pheu Thai representatives secured bail for 22 Red Shirt prisoners in Udon Thani on August 16, their success ignited a nationwide initiative to release untried Red Shirts still detained on charges from last summer’s violent Red Shirt protests.

Achara Ashayagachat

A year after the May 19 crackdown, more than 130 red shirts who resisted the military are still behind bars. Their bail requests have been repeatedly denied by the courts

Most of the detainees, especially those in the northeastern provinces of Mukdahan, Ubon Ratchathani and Udon Thani, were charged with arson of state properties.

About 800 red shirts were arrested nationwide and most of them were gradually released due to lack of evidence.

A total of 175 people nationwide including Bangkok were charged under the emergency decree with acts of violence and other criminal charges including terrorism.

Of those, five were released after serving jail time, and 35 were released on bail.

Most detainees faced multiple charges. The charges concerning damaging state properties and arson have proven to be the most complicated and lengthy.

The bail set for these red shirt detainees is high 500,000 baht on average.

Mr Anond said while the UDD and Pheu Thai party have said they are willing to act as guarantors, the courts have denied the red shirts' requests for bail.

My dear Fab4, when you quote and the quoted text has "Mr Anond said " you should also include a link so interested people could try to understand who this Mr. Anond is.

Furthermore none you quote suggests much in timeline. Some relates to 2010 maybe, some to 2011.

Anyway, 'left to rot' seems to apply as first and formost UDD leaders and other seemingly 'more equal than others' figures were bailed with Pheu Thai MPs as guarantors.

So, how much State Property had Suthep damaged? How many town halls did he burn down? or shall we stop this diversion and simply wonder about 100,000 Baht bail for one charged with terrorism?

My dear Fab4, when you quote and the quoted text has "Mr Anond said " you should also include a link so interested people could try to understand who this Mr. Anond is.

Furthermore none you quote suggests much in timeline. Some relates to 2010 maybe, some to 2011.

Anyway, 'left to rot' seems to apply as first and formost UDD leaders and other seemingly 'more equal than others' figures were bailed with Pheu Thai MPs as guarantors.

So, how much State Property had Suthep damaged? How many town halls did he burn down? or shall we stop this diversion and simply wonder about 100,000 Baht bail for one charged with terrorism?

It is not beyond the wit of man to take a sentence out of the text and use a search engine is it? Most people just post what they like without any links to back up what they are saying so why should I go out of my way. The usual suspects will either not read any further, say I'm lying or dismiss the links as propaganda so if you really want to know, do some legwork.

It is not beyond the wit of man to take a sentence out of the text and use a search engine is it? Most people just post what they like without any links to back up what they are saying so why should I go out of my way. The usual suspects will either not read any further, say I'm lying or dismiss the links as propaganda so if you really want to know, do some legwork.

You didn't want to make too clear you were quoting from a BangkokPost article, you mean?

BTW "Anond Nampha, a lawyer for the Rasadorn Prasong's Jurist Group, a volunteer lawyers' group", article from 2011-05-19 with a former detanee who didn't feel abandoned by Pheu Thai as they could face difficulties if they tried to help with even the UDD leaders facing terrorist charges. How's that for 'loyalty"?

Edited by rubl