Bangkok: Woman jumps into canal to escape pervert taxi driver

webfact

My question is this

If i have a party and it goes late or a partier is inebriated I give them a room or space to sleep it off. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE would i let a single woman go home alone. Curfew or no curfew.?

That's not actually a question. Even I tried to put in a question mark and, nope, it's not a question. I admit I'd consider coming to your party though.

I have a question, though: How much space? More than a taxi driver in the back seat, I hope?

Also why jump in the Klong i agree that is the last place i would go.

So, just like you, it was the last place she went.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whistling.gif

Isn't (there) supposed to be a curfew in place 2am??????

Exactly what I would have asked.

Not saying this couldn't have happened.,mind you.

But why was she out at 2 a.m. breaking the curfew.?

because she was out at 2am breaking the curfew, thats why.

what does it have to do with the fact that she was sexually assaulted? are you inferring the attack was deserved?

Of course she didn't deserve it, but we are all responsible for our own actions, and getting into a taxi alone and blotto at that time of night doesn't seem very responsible.

I was told a story by a colleague at work that her (Farang) friend was driven into the middle of nowhere by a taksi driver less than a fortnight ago and he attempted to attack her. She fought him off and legged it to a highway that she could see in the distance.

The sad irony is that she contacted the cab firm to get her laptop and handbag bag back and the driver only agreed to return them after a bribe was paid.

Be careful ladies. If possible don't take taxis alone. If you have to, use an ipad or other device to track your route and stop the driver if he deviates from it.

Civil disobedience is a sport in Thailand. So I believe she was out at a friends party. Besides that I have seen taxis driving around, just not too much in the inner city. Jumping in the khlong is not a good idea, but normally she could have still screamed, whereas with a curfew on, no one would hear.thumbsup.gif

Having read the brief report above, is it not possible the taxi driver stopped, went in the rear door and was trying to establish whether or not the unconscious lady was alive or not. There's more to this than the story suggests.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Regarding the confusion with the CURFEW, let me clear it up for most of you...

"Under martial law, the National Peace Keeping Committee prohibits anyone across the kingdom from leaving their home from 10 pm to 5 am," an army spokesman said in a televised announcement.

You are not permitted to LEAVE your home after 10pm...(or presumed Hotel/guest house).. If you are NOT home, they certainly can't PREVENT you from going TO your home.

Wrong, let me clear this up for you as all you are doing is helping to get people in trouble. It was already announced that international travelers needing to go/come to the airports could do so between 10pm and 5am, but that the transport companies involved would need a letter of permission first. Quite simple really.

It says she was drunk pawnese, the number of female 747 pilots living in bangkok is almost cetainly 0

Oi! Guys. Leave it out. My wife is a 747 pilotesse, and flew striaght into bed this morning with both wings level. However, having been trained in Thailand she missed the ruddy runway. :(

My question is this

If i have a party and it goes late or a partier is inebriated I give them a room or space to sleep it off. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE would i let a single woman go home alone. Curfew or no curfew.?

That's not actually a question. Even I tried to put in a question mark and, nope, it's not a question. I admit I'd consider coming to your party though.

I have a question, though: How much space? More than a taxi driver in the back seat, I hope?

Actually it was a question... The poster was actually asking asking the reader, "would you let a girl go home alone and drunk?" It's not grammatically correct but I understood what he was saying.

Edited by Local Drunk

a few years ago a well known Thai celebrity fell into a klong when he was drunk. he died shortly thereafter when an unknown bacteria entered his respiratory system and the infection killed him. klongs are nasty places.

All the more reason not to order fish in the mom and pop places.

My question is this

Actually it was a question... The poster was actually asking asking the reader, "would you let a girl go home alone and drunk?" It's not grammatically correct but I understood what he was saying.

Agreed, as it was an inferred question. But let's not go there, as we might be banned for being grammar Nazis. Then again, Nazi references are permitted in Thailand. ;)

• Like 1

Wrong, let me clear this up for you as all you are doing is helping to get people in trouble. It was already announced that international travelers needing to go/come to the airports could do so between 10pm and 5am, but that the transport companies involved would need a letter of permission first. Quite simple really.

Wow. "Simple" is an excellent description. Also a good description of the post itself. Let's try ACCURATE now.

From the Thai press:

The curfew imposed between 10pm and 5am will not apply to specific groups of people, the military's National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC) has announced.

In a televised broadcast, deputy army spokesman Winthai Suwaree said travellers who are to leave or enter the kingdom during the curfew period will be allowed to move to their destinations.
Other groups include private employees or government officials working night shifts in various sectors such as factories, hospitals, aviation businesses and perishable food logistics. Exemption also covers people in need of travelling to hospitals and humanitarian workers.
People who happen to have urgent or important errands during the curfew hours are advised to ask for permission from military officers near their homes.
That's not quite so simple as yours, but on the other hand it is accurate.

You may be right. On the other hand, the important person in the exchange realised it was (really weak) humour. But he didn't invite me to his party. Yet.

Edited by wandasloan

Just because "bangkok coconuts" prints it doesn't mean its true; that goes for any publication. The website is succeeding it has active viewers talking aboit the news; how would you know if she escaped anything??

If you believe everything you read i have a very nice plot of ocean front property in Arizona you'll probably be intetested in. ;))

Take it all as entertainment; how did this suddenly become news worthy to better our situation..lighten up its a hoax for entertainment purposes.. and if not well many people have more depressing stories to tell..

She was pissed out of her head and fell in the khlong, she didn't want to be prosecuted for breaking curfew so she blamed a taxi driver to get sympathy.

Women are very devious especially thai women, they would not even bat an eyelid about getting an expendable man into trouble

• Like 1

Another one of Bangkok's finest taxi drivers. They are a law unto themselves.

I've had quite good luck with bkk taxi drivers. As long as I avoid the gangs of them sitting in front of hotels, drinking and talking smack all day, I am usually fine. I just go out to the main road and hail one that is passing by. Tuk Tuks are an entirely different story, however. I don't think I have ever had a good experience with them.

Isn't supposed to be a curfew in place 2am??????

Deductive-critical thinking, reason, logic; trying to apply to events and occurrences in thailand??? Really?

Some Thai people have spoken to me as if unaware of the significance of a curfew. Mai pen rai.

She was pissed out of her head and fell in the khlong, she didn't want to be prosecuted for breaking curfew so she blamed a taxi driver to get sympathy.

Women are very devious especially thai women, they would not even bat an eyelid about getting an expendable man into trouble

Evidence on your first speculation. As for your second sentence, well, let's not go there.

Edited by Bluespunk

Obviously, you DO NOT comprehend what a military imposed "Marshal Law" really means. So why not be brave? Give the current Thai Marshal Law, your own personal test-drive, especially since you probably don't believe pork-meat is greasy, til you've tasted it! whistling.gif

whistling.gif

Isn't (there) supposed to be a curfew in place 2am??????

Exactly what I would have asked.

Not saying this couldn't have happened.,mind you.

But why was she out at 2 a.m. breaking the curfew.?

because she was out at 2am breaking the curfew, thats why.

what does it have to do with the fact that she was sexually assaulted? are you inferring the attack was deserved?

Of course she didn't deserve it, but we are all responsible for our own actions, and getting into a taxi alone and blotto at that time of night doesn't seem very responsible.

still looks to me like you are saying she deserved it.

• Like 2

Often 2 or more sides to a story.

Does seem to be something strange about the story, she got in the taxi drunk and must have told the driver where she wanted to go then she goes to sleep.

How about the driver gets close to where she wanted to go, tries to ask her for directions but gets no answer, sees she is asleep and tries to wake her but cant so tries to shake her.

To do that he would either have to get on his knees on the front seat or get out and open the back door. Getting out and opening the door would seem the easiest.

Whatever, she wakes with him shaking her and panics, manages to get out of the car and run.

Driver thinks, 'hay she hasn't paid' and follows after her.

More panic and she either jumps or falls into the klong.

Doesn't say who called the recue people, could it have been the driver, not many other people around.

Only a theory.

• Like 1

Sadly most of you people can't read between the lines or apply common sense.

YES, NOBODY is supposed to go out between the curfew hours. 10pm-5am.

HOWEVER, it's much easier to explain yourself if you are going TO your residence/hotel from whereever you have been partying or shacked up rather than if you are caught going in a direction away FROM your residence/hotel.

BIG DIFFERENCE between the 2 scenarios.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Regarding the confusion with the CURFEW, let me clear it up for most of you...

"Under martial law, the National Peace Keeping Committee prohibits anyone across the kingdom from leaving their home from 10 pm to 5 am," an army spokesman said in a televised announcement.

You are not permitted to LEAVE your home after 10pm...(or presumed Hotel/guest house).. If you are NOT home, they certainly can't PREVENT you from going TO your home.

All these wannabe law enforcements with their own interpretations of what something means TO THEM

Obviously, you DO NOT comprehend what a military imposed "Marshal Law" really means. So why not be brave? Give the current Thai Marshal Law, your own personal test-drive, especially since you probably don't believe pork-meat is greasy, til you've tasted it! whistling.gif

This is an F'n quote from an army spokesperson that was aired on tv...

"Under martial law, the National Peace Keeping Committee prohibits anyone across the kingdom from leaving their home from 10 pm to 5 am," an army spokesman said in a televised announcement."

Uhhhhh "prohibits anyone across the country from LEAVING THEIR HOME 10pm-5am"

Uhhhhh LEAVING...

Geesh APPLY some common sense here people. Just because the clock strikes 10pm and you happened to not be at your home/hotel or are enroute too, that doesn't mean that you go hide and wait til morning.

It's a hell of a lot easier to explain if you are caught going in the direction of your residence/hotel than if they stopped you going away or an opposite direction of where your residence/hotel.

In western coumtries, if a woman makes a false acusation of rape against you, you will almost certainly have your life ruined forever, the diference between a 10 year jail sentence and freed is very small. There is almost certainly no comeuppance for the woman, and in UK, women can make up to 5000 pounds for being a "victim".

If you have ever looked at the Home Office website, you son see that men are perpetrators and women always victims.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/angus-the-mearns/not-proven-verdict-in-taxi-rape-claim-case-1.223165

This scottish taxi driver never worked again after a drunken women alleged rape because she had no money for the fare.

Yes i have been to Iran, the women there are pampered to the extreme, none of your female hard work there, they have a very ver very easy life.

I disagree with your generalization "In all western countries". In the USA, it takes more than an accusation to result in a conviction. I've not been to the remaining countries in the west, so I can't comment with any degree of credibility.

I've responded to a few rape cases and the process goes something like:

Safety of the alleged victim

Detention of the suspect if in the area

Preservation of physical evidence at the scene

Collection of victim evidence at hospital

Interviewing witnesses

Preparation of police report

Review

Submission to prosecutor

GLCDC: "I hope this story is untrue, sad when cannot even trust a taksi driver these days; they uses to be so upstanding;) "

The first thing I learned 15 years ago when I arrived in Bangkok was NEVER trust a taxi driver. A woman, drunk, alone, at 2am, during curfew… go figure. I think the Bangkok taxi reputation and service is better now myself.