Advice needed for vehicle window Tint?

Steps

i run a tint business (for 15 years now) but as theres too many experts here already (all quoting the wrong numbers) i doubt my advice is needed.

It's the same every time this topic comes up ... at least 2-3 times every year ... much sh1t talked every time ... not by everybody, but quite a few. It's important, what make, what grade ... Still it passes peoples days... enjoy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have some conflicting opinions on the topic here. I have 20, 30, 40 and 60% tint for the front and i have 40, 60 and 80% tint on the rest.

I am edging towards 40 on the front and 70 on the rest (70 is what i was advised by the guy at the garage with 40 on the rear? this advice was the reason for me posting the topic).

What do you think?

You can put a reflective mirror tint instead of black or dark tint.

This way will allow you to see outside but not see inside.

The windscreen can be 40-60%, your preference.

The side and rear windows can be 60-80%.

I have this type of tint on my car and it's perfectly safe when driving at night,

i went with 40% on the windscreen and 60% for the rest.

What brand ? And are you sure that we can see through better than black tint ?

Thank you.

There are several different kinds if tinted film and some that have very little tint but are designed to cut UV light

The cheaper films quote light cut the more expensive quote UV cut but both just give a percentage

A 40% cheep film will probably be dangerously dark on the windscreen a 40% UV cut will seem to be almost clear.

We have a UV cut on 90% of the windscreen with a darker strip at the top, my eyes are rather sensitive so night driving was painful, with that combination I can sit high enough for the darker strip to reduce the glare from distant vehicles without reducing vision of near objects. Also once we got this combination I almost never need sunglasses when driving.

If you have GPS Navigation in your vehicle which probably has the GPS antenna in the front dash, "metallic" tinting can really cut down on the reception. Happened to me when I bought my new Forturner back in late 2008...the dealership put high quality metallic tinting on on windows...my GPS reception went to crap. Took it back to the dealership and said, hey, is this metallic tinting as my GPS reception sucks? They were quite embarrassed by their mistake...they replaced the windshield tinting with some high quality non-metallic tinting and GPS reception became fine again.

In Malaysia dark tints are banned. They at least have a bit of sense.

But the ban is not enforced any more than any ban is enforced in Thailand!!

I think it is. From time to time Thai vehicles are also obliged to remove excessive tinting if they want to cross the border.

mine is the amount of light let in.

I Just got a call from the dealer asking what tint I want on my new car, they tried to convince me of 40 on the screen and 60 on the sides and back...... dumbasses.

lol I <deleted> that up. mine is the amount of light blocked not let in.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

60 on the front and 80 on the rest is perfectly fine.

I have 30% on My Wifes and my car - its difficult enough to see in to in the day time and blocks out heat well.

40% on my front windshield is till a little too dark for night time (great in the day though). Get high quality 20/30% on the front, darker on the rest (40-60%)

As JAS21 says are the numbers quoted above the amount of light they let in or the amount of light they block?;

r_s237 - can I ask what brand you have as well?

amount of light blocked. When I got a new windscreen, the guy said the new screen already had 20% tint (lets in 80%). If this is the case then you really only need 20% on the front. For the front get a good brand - like 3M crystalline - quite light but good at blocking heat and uv. I have lamina on my civic and solargard on my swift. The swift looks darker but is actually easier to see out of at night.

i run a tint business (for 15 years now) but as theres too many experts here already (all quoting the wrong numbers) i doubt my advice is needed.

Please, for those of us non-experts, we would be interested (or at least I would be) in reading your point of view if you can be bothered.........wink.png

And as long as it is related to tinting in Thailand?

really? well quality film is rated by vlt or visible light transmission. 5% is the darkest 70% is the lightest so all you experts putting 80% on the rear of your cars/trucks are really just smearing a coat of dust over the plain glass..........i dont tint in thailand but ive checked the brands here, some are the same as i use at home.

There are several different kinds if tinted film and some that have very little tint but are designed to cut UV light

The cheaper films quote light cut the more expensive quote UV cut but both just give a percentage

A 40% cheep film will probably be dangerously dark on the windscreen a 40% UV cut will seem to be almost clear.

We have a UV cut on 90% of the windscreen with a darker strip at the top, my eyes are rather sensitive so night driving was painful, with that combination I can sit high enough for the darker strip to reduce the glare from distant vehicles without reducing vision of near objects. Also once we got this combination I almost never need sunglasses when driving.

this is just marketing bullshit, glass absorbs UV itself so there is no need to put film for the UV, we just need to block the visible and infrared portion

EDIT: even infrared is absorbed in glass so we just need any dark film...

Edited by falang07

60 on the front and 80 on the rest is perfectly fine.

80 on the sides means you won't really be able to see to your left.

You'll see approaching cars OK - but take a right turn, if there's pedestrians crossing to your right, it'll be hard to see them.

Please, for those of us non-experts, we would be interested (or at least I would be) in reading your point of view if you can be bothered.........wink.png

really? well quality film is rated by vlt or visible light transmission. 5% is the darkest 70% is the lightest so all you experts putting 80% on the rear of your cars/trucks are really just smearing a coat of dust over the plain glass..........i dont tint in thailand but ive checked the brands here, some are the same as i use at home.

I, for one would like to hear what you would suggest.

I prefer hearing this advise from a professional as well

as the laws that pertain to your business where you are

established. Many thanks in advance, dap

out here the tint shop's go by how much is blocked.

If You can Afford it get the Best 3M Clear . You think You have New Eyes. Can drive in the Nighttime rain,spot all the other road users,read signs withiut hesitation, once you have tried it ,you never go back. DOWNSIDE. PRICE ONLY.

We have 40% on front window and 60% on the rest on our truck, okay during day time but might change forward side windows to 40% as well as I find it hard to see clearly out of them during dark.

My wife likes the anonymity the window films gives her when she is driving alone and I am working overseas app 6 month per year soo. She feels more safe this way and I think many Thai lady's thinks the same too.

I think Malaysia allows up to 30% and that's it, if more you can't enter before it's removed.

I was once stopped briefly at a police check point outside Pattaya, the cops wanted to see who was driving/occupants so I rolled my side window down and they had a quick look inside and was send on my way, would most likely not had happened if no films.

Get the black ones, 3M brand. For the front windshield, there is a thai law that prohibits it being too dark. Max is 60 I think. I did the whole windshield, strip just looks ugly. As for the sides, I went with 95. Looks very good, keeps the car cool, keeps your skin feeling comfortable even with rays hitting on them. If you are not used to it at first, it may seem dark, but once you get used to it, it's perfectly fine. I'll do all my cars like this for life. Only obstacle is when parking in areas without light, then I must roll down my side windows. Personal choice, a little sacrifice for ALOT of gain. The main consideration is privacy so you can check out girls without them knowing and the heat. I have put my hand on the front windshield area and 60 really doesn't help enough, it is like UV ray burning. The reason I put 60 is only because of the law against the front windshield being too dark or else I would op for 75-80ish. Side 95, no matter how long the sun shines on your skin, it is still comfortable, no UV ray harm or pain at all. And saves air cond biggrin.png

Another advice, get QUALITY brands for front windshield, go cheap only for sides and so on. The reason is, if you get a cheap tint brand, at night, when you see any lights, it will become a blur, and trust me, it's so bad, your eyes will actually hurt and you get nausea. Everywhere, from brake lights, red lights, lamp posts, etc.

I recommend 3M as I have used them on my car and perfect sight at night.

Thank you for the advice, especially about the good quality brand film. I would have never have thought about the effect it would have had, blurring vision at night. Pure gold!!

Get the black ones, 3M brand. For the front windshield, there is a thai law that prohibits it being too dark. Max is 60 I think. I did the whole windshield, strip just looks ugly. As for the sides, I went with 95. Looks very good, keeps the car cool, keeps your skin feeling comfortable even with rays hitting on them. If you are not used to it at first, it may seem dark, but once you get used to it, it's perfectly fine. I'll do all my cars like this for life. Only obstacle is when parking in areas without light, then I must roll down my side windows. Personal choice, a little sacrifice for ALOT of gain. The main consideration is privacy so you can check out girls without them knowing and the heat. I have put my hand on the front windshield area and 60 really doesn't help enough, it is like UV ray burning. The reason I put 60 is only because of the law against the front windshield being too dark or else I would op for 75-80ish. Side 95, no matter how long the sun shines on your skin, it is still comfortable, no UV ray harm or pain at all. And saves air cond biggrin.png

Another advice, get QUALITY brands for front windshield, go cheap only for sides and so on. The reason is, if you get a cheap tint brand, at night, when you see any lights, it will become a blur, and trust me, it's so bad, your eyes will actually hurt and you get nausea. Everywhere, from brake lights, red lights, lamp posts, etc.

I recommend 3M as I have used them on my car and perfect sight at night.

Thank you for the advice, especially about the good quality brand film. I would have never have thought about the effect it would have had, blurring vision at night. Pure gold!!

Hey tomyumchai, i would really love to hear some of your advice. I would like black tints that stop people from seeing in and block out the heat. I also want my vision to be decent out the windscreen during the day and night.

Cheers mate

Edited by Steps

If You can Afford it get the Best 3M Clear . You think You have New Eyes. Can drive in the Nighttime rain,spot all the other road users,read signs withiut hesitation, once you have tried it ,you never go back. DOWNSIDE. PRICE ONLY.

How much is this one ? the most expensive that I have found is 30000, is it ?

5% the darkest? so actually you know nothing ?

This is not USA here, in Thailand the darkest would be 95% and not 5%.

Edited by thaicookingchef

So I have some conflicting opinions on the topic here. I have 20, 30, 40 and 60% tint for the front and i have 40, 60 and 80% tint on the rest.

I am edging towards 40 on the front and 70 on the rest (70 is what i was advised by the guy at the garage with 40 on the rear? this advice was the reason for me posting the topic).

What do you think?

You can put a reflective mirror tint instead of black or dark tint.

This way will allow you to see outside but not see inside.

The windscreen can be 40-60%, your preference.

The side and rear windows can be 60-80%.

I have this type of tint on my car and it's perfectly safe when driving at night,

i went with 40% on the windscreen and 60% for the rest.

What brand ? And are you sure that we can see through better than black tint ?

Thank you.

The brand name i have is called Xtra made in USA, and was supplied and fitted by the Honda dealership where i bought my car from.

I'm sure it allows better visual ability than black tint, because it works in a reflective way instead of

only a tinted way.

Put 60% Tint on your Headlamps, same thing. I do a 900 +Km night run every Month, no way can i have Tints, the Lights are Hi Def , one of the best Boy Racer "tings" ive bought here . Now ive chipped the Screen and Honda tell me to wait for the new harder glass on this years a model, about one week , also they have run out of Clear Heat Film, both Hi Kool and 3M. so i cant change anyway under my insurance, one job one bill. Nothing against Tints used in the Sun, but as for keeping out more heat by virtue of Blackness absolute Cobblers, as Thais think it does..