Im Now Married And Have A Thai Child

Hi All

I was married in Thailand to a Thai lady over a year ago and this week we had a son together. I have been living here on a Non Immig B visa which I used to get as i had a biz back home which I exported to . That has just gone belly up and no more income.

I now have to do something here and wish to open a business but my friends tell me can not get a work permit for a small biz even if im married. I find it a bit absurd that I have a thai baby and a wife but am not allowed to work here to support them. They certainly get treated a bit different in my home country with them having restaurants on every street corner.

Is this the case or not?

Any help appreciated.

JT

to be honest, i have no idea. but first of all congrats to you on your baby :o i dont know a whole lot about "self-sponsoring" a work permit in thailand, but i'm sure there's someone that will answer that for you around here. i believe you need at least 1M baht invested into the company or on the company's name to sponsor a work permit for a foreigner, but there may be ways around that ...don't quote me on it though.

Check the the "Pinned" post at the top of this Forum - it tells you about the Visa categories. I'm not an expert but I've lived here on both B and O Visas. And now have a work permit through an employer. The latter one, the O Visa, is usually for foreigners supporting a Thai spouse.

But there is some rule about having a monthly income. Think rainman is right about the investment in a biz - 1 million sounds right to open a LTD Co. I think..again check with others.

Also when I had the B Visa they didn't expect anything other than you were coming and in and out to do biz..So there was no requirement to show income, since you were only here for 3 months at a time maximum (B visa for a year though) but this may have changed. You have to do visa runs of course..a hassle but no big deal really. And yes you're right they don't give a rat's arse that you have a Thai family. The laws aren't geared to take 'real' thais into account just the rich ones who aren't real thais..if ya get it..

Don't know that helps but..

...married...to a Thai lady...here on a Non Immig B visa ...

...wish to open a business but my friends tell me can not get a work permit for a small biz even if im married...

Of course you can open a business.

1. Get an annual extension of stay based on “support Thai wife and child”

2. Register your business. Being married to a Thai, the requirement for registered capital is lower than normal.

3. Get a work permit as an employee of your business.

Of course you can, if you wish, also get a work permit for employment with any other company in Thailand, not only your own company.

--------------

Maestro

...married...to a Thai lady...here on a Non Immig B visa ...

...wish to open a business but my friends tell me can not get a work permit for a small biz even if im married...

Of course you can open a business.

1. Get an annual extension of stay based on “support Thai wife and child”

2. Register your business. Being married to a Thai, the requirement for registered capital is lower than normal.

3. Get a work permit as an employee of your business.

Of course you can, if you wish, also get a work permit for employment with any other company in Thailand, not only your own company.

--------------

Maestro

Thanks for your reply

Do you know how much capital has to be registered to open a biz if I want a work permit to be an employee of the biz? We only want to invest 300k and Ive been told i need to invest 1million, which we really dont need to do to start this type of biz.

Do we need to open the biz as a company or can we do it as a partnership or limited partnership?

I really dont want to make it all to complicated so I would rather not have a company.

We expect the biz will make over 40k although because I am Australian apparently I have been told that I have to have an income of 60k. Then again someone else has told me that becuase I have a Thai child it is less than this. I must say these rules make no sense or follow any logic.

JT

You might want to contact our sponsor for business information/set up. I believe they will provide solid information and that there rates are very reasonable.

The money question is according to what type of extension of stay you have. For support Thai wife it would be 40k. For business it would be by nationality.

Hi All

I was married in Thailand to a Thai lady over a year ago and this week we had a son together. I have been living here on a Non Immig B visa which I used to get as i had a biz back home which I exported to . That has just gone belly up and no more income.

I now have to do something here and wish to open a business but my friends tell me can not get a work permit for a small biz even if im married. I find it a bit absurd that I have a thai baby and a wife but am not allowed to work here to support them. They certainly get treated a bit different in my home country with them having restaurants on every street corner.

Is this the case or not?

Any help appreciated.

JT

I feel with you on the policies that make it harder for us fathers raising our Thai children in Thailand.

To recieve the residential permit's income quota on the basis of being the father of a Thai national/citizen, according toRoyal Thai Immigration Website you need to show 30,000 baht/month for atleast 2 years with the tax returns.. This information is dated from 2 years ago. If Thai immigration policies are consistent, my guess is that it might even be higher now???

As far as your business being legit to get your work permit, I'm not sure if the initial investment/base is one million or 10 million. It's 10 million to get your residential extension on the basis of your own business, but the ministry of labour's regulations might not be as harsh as immigration's... Can you actually confirm this one million baht self business quota other than word of mouth from a friend?