Writer Looking For Expat Freelancers

IMount

I’m an American writer--an expat living in Buenos Aires (here are some of the stories I’ve written)--and I am currently working on a economics/sociology book about Americans with portable skills (freelance workers such as writers, editors, graphic designers, computer programmers, etc., largely those who work via internet for clients in the U.S.) who’ve moved abroad in order to leverage the disparity between American pay and the low cost of living in other countries such as Argentina, Brasil, Mexico, Thailand, Philippines, etc. Think of a pop economics/sociology book like David Brooks's Bobos in Paradise, except more like Expats in Paradise.

I am looking for any help I can find tracking down people like this. I am specifically looking for people who are working overseas, more or less full time, not retirees, students, wanderers, etc. People who have, in a sense, emigrated from the United States. I'm not looking for people who’ve renounced their citizenship, but for people who are abroad, if only for a few years, in order to leverage the economic advantages and live a less frenetic, more humane, life.

If you fit the bill, know someone who does, or have any questions, please drop me a line. It would be a great help.

Cheers,

Ian Mount ([email protected])

I believe you will need to re-examine your 'low-cost of living' destinations. All the freelance writers I know in Thailand are suffering economic hardship - writers fees are not keeping up with the high rate of inflation, further incurred by the sharp rise in oil prices. In fact, many freelancers are heading back to the west - for more sustainable income - as thay cannot maintain a decent career/ lifestyle in SE Asia any longer.

I don't think it looks like a troll.

It looks like a writer looking for people who live in Thailand (or similar) and works via the Internet.

The question is, if found, what's in it for them? What's the objective?

Edited by madsere

Just to make a point I figured Id play sherlock just this one time,

Ian Mount

Thames 2220 1º Buenos Aires C1425FIF Argentina

+ 1 917 438 6972: US

+54 911 5966 1843: Argentina cell

ian (at) alumni (dot) amherst (dot) edu

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

Various Publications, Freelance Journalist (1992 to Present).

· Since March 2003: NPR, Time, The Wall Street Journal, New York, The New York Times, Maxim, Inc. (including January and November 2004 cover stories), Fortune Small Business, Fast Company, Gridskipper.com, Time Out New York and Business 2.0. Previously: The Philadelphia Inquirer, The New Orleans Times-Picayune and others. Also fiction in Eratica, The Allegheny Review, Schuylkill and The Amherst Review.

Business 2.0, Senior Writer (March 2000 to March 2003).

· Wrote news, investigative, profile and investing stories for 550,000 circulation Time Inc. business and technology monthly, including two cover stories and numerous features.

· Covered Internet, software and other high-tech businesses.

· Promoted from Staff Writer to Senior Writer in April 2001.

SmartMoney.com, Reporter (March 1999 to March 2000).

· Wrote an average of three news, investing and commentary articles each week for Hearst/Dow Jones personal finance and investing website.

· Primarily covered Internet business. Also covered energy, retail and other sectors.

Philadelphia Inquirer, Editorial Assistant (November 1997 to March 1999).

· Wrote business, lifestyle and real estate articles for metro daily.

· Performed computer assisted reporting for large investigative projects on political candidate donation patterns and school performance.

· Designed and created graphics for publication.

Temple University, Writing Mentor (September 1995 to July 1997).

· Trained and supervised graduate student teaching assistants in freshman writing program.

· Designed curriculum and taught college writing to native speakers and ESL students.

· Promoted from Instructor to Writing Mentor in September 1996.

EDUCATION

Temple University, MA, 1997.

· Creative Writing/English major. Advised on short story collection thesis by David Bradley, author of PEN/Faulkner-winning The Chaneysville Incident

· Full teaching assistantship scholarship.

· Cumulative average: 3.97

Amherst College, BA, magna cum laude, 1992.

· English major, with coursework in political science, neuroscience and visual arts. Novella thesis.

· Cumulative average: A-

OTHER SKILLS AND AWARDS

· Experienced with WordPerfect, Excel, Word, Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark.

· Highly proficient in verbal and written Spanish.

· Writer’s residency at Ucross Foundation (September 2001).

Nice job KD, you mad a fool of yourself.

I believe you will need to re-examine your 'low-cost of living' destinations. All the freelance writers I know in Thailand are suffering economic hardship - writers fees are not keeping up with the high rate of inflation, further incurred by the sharp rise in oil prices. In fact, many freelancers are heading back to the west - for more sustainable income - as thay cannot maintain a decent career/ lifestyle in SE Asia any longer.

Thought you might like this, I know how you like to dance :o

Looks like Ian has some moves,

tango-in-buenos-aires.jpg