Lying Ads

naka

You see them every time you open a newspaper !

Two day's one night at our lovely pristine resort in Koh Wherever.

You cannot check in till after 4 pm, you have to check out by 12.

Should they not be forced to say 1 night, plus a couple of hours either side.

Guess Thailand has no "Truth in Advertising Law". TiT :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Naka.

Actually, you don't find too much truth in pretty much anything in Thailand :D

Makes me wonder in many of the airlines arriving into LOS, from say the US, have an agreement with the hotels. It seems these flights always arrive during the wee hours of the morning, thus requiring the tourist to book a hotel for the night they arrive... even if they arrive at 5am! Such a sham.

You'll see them on Thai tv as well.

How about the tv ads with the electric belt that supposedly melts that blubber around your waistline... The Canadian government has banned these a few years ago and ordered the companies that sold them to reimburse every customer that required so as it was proven they simply don't work.

I always joked that people using those will have messed up their bowels with the electric current and will all be soiling their pants 10 years from now. :o

Get reimbursed and invest in diapers now!

Makes me wonder in many of the airlines arriving into LOS, from say the US, have an agreement with the hotels. It seems these flights always arrive during the wee hours of the morning, thus requiring the tourist to book a hotel for the night they arrive... even if they arrive at 5am! Such a sham.

Completely understand! If I want to board from MI using any of US airlines, My arrival time is always late into the wee hours; thus, making me board via JFK just to arrive late afternoon in Thailand :o What an inconvenience.

BTW, how about that "portable washing machine". What a joke. That particular item was selling here in the states about 15 years ago :D

Whilst their are people willing to pay for this kind of stuff then there will be people advertising it..

Its the same in most parts of the world, they will tell you what sounds good to get you to buy..

A company wouldnt run a tv ads unless their was a market...

If an ad sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Naka.

I'm not sure what you are complaining about. This is quite common in the US as well.

I've yet to find a hotel that would not let me check in before their stated check-in time if they had rooms available. In fact, the last time I checked into Central Sofitel, they upgraded me because the nicer room was the only one available at the time I checked in. Mind you, I did have to be friendly and suggest it as an option. I'm sure if I acted pissed off, I would have been SOL.

Also, for the times in which the hotels did not have a room cleaned by the time I arrived, they usually had some place for me to freshen up (take a shower). Not to mention, they will let you use their facilities while your room is being prepared. In the past, I arrived at a hotel, gave them my luggage, took a shower, rented a motorbike and was on my way without even checking in. When I came back in the afternoon, my bags were waiting for me in my room.

A few years back a pizza company in the UK started a campaign with posters in their restaurants that said

"Order two 12 inch pizzas and we'll get our chef to toss in a salad"

They had to withdraw the campaign when someone pointed out their error, and the chef collapsed from dehydration!

:o

It is not only Thailand.

I was reading an ad in my computer magazine for an 8Mb/s adsl link.

Only $18 a month.

In the small print is said, "1Gb included........".

A quick calculation showed that 1Gb represented 17 minutes of full speed download.............

Now what do I do for the rest of the month? :o

Naka.

I'm not sure what you are complaining about. This is quite common in the US as well.

I've yet to find a hotel that would not let me check in before their stated check-in time if they had rooms available. In fact, the last time I checked into Central Sofitel, they upgraded me because the nicer room was the only one available at the time I checked in. Mind you, I did have to be friendly and suggest it as an option. I'm sure if I acted pissed off, I would have been SOL.

Also, for the times in which the hotels did not have a room cleaned by the time I arrived, they usually had some place for me to freshen up (take a shower). Not to mention, they will let you use their facilities while your room is being prepared. In the past, I arrived at a hotel, gave them my luggage, took a shower, rented a motorbike and was on my way without even checking in. When I came back in the afternoon, my bags were waiting for me in my room.

I would have to agree with this assesment .... when I first moved here I got in from the USA at 1am ... Limo down to HuaHin and checked in at 0430 .... when I checked out after leasing a house 4 days later I expected a bill for 5 nights ... was billed 4 only ...

2 weeks ago I went to Hat Yai on the Night Train ... checked in at 0745 ... billed one night only

It is not only Thailand.

I was reading an ad in my computer magazine for an 8Mb/s adsl link.

Only $18 a month.

In the small print is said, "1Gb included........".

A quick calculation showed that 1Gb represented 17 minutes of full speed download.............

Now what do I do for the rest of the month? :D

At least they said it. Should we think about the so called "Hi-speed Internet" connections advetised in Thailand? :o