Iranian, American teenagers electrocuted at swimming pool of Bangkok condominium

webfact

Swimming pool with high voltage lighting, no RCDs, no earthing - An accident waiting to happen. When will these people ever learn?

Never, as a RCD / RCBO probably costs about Bht 3000 - much too expensive to even consider for saving a life.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swimming pool with high voltage lighting, no RCDs, no earthing - An accident waiting to happen. When will these people ever learn?

Never, as a RCD / RCBO probably costs about Bht 3000 - much too expensive to even consider for saving a life.

What a sad story sad.png

Don´t forget that it´s not just the presence of saftey equipment, it also has to be installed correctly and needs maintenance. Most workers are NOT qualified and everyone can do everything!

This is where all the "mai ben rai" leads in the end......loss of life.

sympathies to the families, again we see the thai "electricians" quality of work, if you can move your fingers you qualify but then this applies to all aspects of building

Sad that some people will use any occasion, no matter how sad, as an opportunity to bash Thais.

So you have been on the scene. It is the only way to make such statements.

So in your expert opinion what happened?

Obviously the lighting in close proximity to the pool was powered by a lethal voltage which was not protected, is this acceptable to you regardless to whatever statement I make?

Or is it you are representing the condo management? Your avatar says it all!

Edited by bdenner
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What a terrible tragedy for these boys and their families.

It's no point looking for blame as it's likely none will be found.

...and little use hoping that others will learn from this and fix other potential problems...but that may be wishful thinking as well.

Sad.

Yes, it's better to bury your head in the sand like Thais do and continue saying mai bpen rai. The safety standards in this country, especially as it concerns electricity, are appalling. Walk down any street and look up and you'll see the dreadful state of the wiring here. Not to mention no efforts to ground wiring in residences.

It's a damn shame that these kids died because of shoddy electrical work. There is something that can be done. They could sue the shit out of the landlord and the original contractor and hopefully get a fat award. If that happens enough in this country, the property owners would shape up as would the contractors. But unfortunately things are so squirrely here, you'd likely not be able to ID the contractor.

Thai electricity different, no need earth.

Yes you worrie too mutt, no need earth.....

Maybe Europe is a police state in many ppl´s eyes, but at least you cannot build a new house without an RCD for every plug.

Edited by I knew this would happen

sympathies to the families, again we see the thai "electricians" quality of work, if you can move your fingers you qualify but then this applies to all aspects of building

Sad that some people will use any occasion, no matter how sad, as an opportunity to bash Thais.

Maybe on some occasions it's warranted. Far better than leaving your head in the sand.

• Like 1

Thailand by word is Safety Safety and once again Safety always a priority and in the UK you can’t move without a risk assessment and a method statement country totally stifled with safety rules.

Shocking sad for the parents of the children R.I.P kids taken far too early in life.

OK, another line of defense on behalf of the Condo:-

Being late the pool was closed, the boys AND witnesses broke in, found a 'lead light' and extension cord and placed it by the pool so as they could swim. The 'lead light' they found or bought with them was faulty, the extension cord was typical of Thai 'Figure 8' configuration - no Earth - so lets assume the Condo, being of exemplary construction, had an Earth at the GPO but, alas, it was not in use.

To @circusman - WHERE WAS THE RCD?

There is one way to stop all this and i have said it a million times. There should be a world tourism organisations set up and each country member should have to contribute a percentage of the annual projected tourism revenue for that particular country, in conjunction with the numbers of visitors. Thailand's tourism industry is 7.5% of GDP or 1.44 Trillion Baht. Just 1% of this would be 1.4 billion Baht. What is the incentive to make things right when ultimately the country the casualty comes from ends up paying for it by way of insurance. I say if these countries are willing to hoover up the income then they should also take responsibility for it. You would be lucky to receive a million baht for a death by negligence on the part of the country here in a Thai court. They would soon wake up if they learned that said person was awarded 20 million baht compensation from its coffers in the WTO court. Here there are simply too many clear cut cases of sheer negligence that cannot be defended and should be punished accordingly.

• Like 1

I assume all electrical wiring here is faulty and out to kill me. One reason I wear rubber sandals even in condo. I wish it were shocking the near total lack of concern about basic safety standards, but this kind of "accident" is so common here. I hope not to get "shocked" like these two unfortunates were. RIP.

• Like 1

Does anyone know a good electrician that can make an inspection of a private house?

Yes ... but he lives in Australia.

so please give us details

Only needs 10 members at Australian prices and you can pay for his holiday

Satire

I hope the foreign parent who was thinking of sending their teenage student to thailand for 2 semesters is readying this.....BEWARE......as you see missy.....you don't need grenades to kill people....electricity also works

and before you bash me for writing what you believe is very insensitive....THIS IS A FOREIGN PARENTAL ALERT!!!!

Let the bashing begin....but before you do remember this post?

New Visa Rules Exclude Everyone Except Sex Tourists, Alcoholics, Drug Addicts, Ravers, Illiterate Troglodytes....

written by a Root Admin.....let's not have any double standards now

bring on the smoke...............whistling.gif