Will the lizard eat my cat?

If it's a monitor lizard I wouldn't be surprised if it was after the cat to eat.

As a kid in Oz we were constantly removing goannas caught in rabbit traps. The goannas would look in burrows for rabbits to eat. Cats are about the same size as a rabbit.

• Like 1

We had two litters of kittens slowly disappear over time, and we realized it was a

Monitor Lizard after it tried to swallow one that was almost fully grown. It ambushed

the cat a dawn, grabbed the head and broke its neck but could not swallow it past the shoulders.

The lizards are strong, fast, and smart. Some call them the "reptilian cat."

They've just declared a cull on them around here at a whopping 50B a head. I can understand that as they are becoming plague like now. A year ago I'd see the odd one or two, now they are all over the place. They actually let them be for a year as they thought they might affect the rodent population but someone boobed there.....

The canals are now chock full of hunting Cambodians and Burmese.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

It's probably a large adult monitor lizard but different from the ones I've seen in Bangkok. There are lots of different types of monitor lizard though. Trying to stop the cat sleeping in exposed places is the only thing I can think of.

There are only two species of monitors in Thailand AFAIK: water monitor and Bengal, or Clouded, Monitor. Bengal is big enough to nab a cat but they prefer a diet of insects and small vertebrates.

monitor lizards eat cats if they can catch and kill them.

many a rural thai will eat monitor lizards if they can catch and kill them.

Wrong.

Thai name for them is hia (เหี้ย), which means bad person and is an insult, hence the fear for them, they certainly don't kill them and eeat them. It was my first "respectful" experience with locals, when I found a huge monitor lizard in my rubbertree plantation and they caught it and brought it to the temple, where more of them live in the forest.

They have even changed the name to "Silver and Blue", to avoid calling the name "Hia"....

Monitor lizards are big and eat rodents, fish (even catfish), but also small crocodiles, eggs and carrion.

They've just declared a cull on them around here at a whopping 50B a head. I can understand that as they are becoming plague like now. A year ago I'd see the odd one or two, now they are all over the place. They actually let them be for a year as they thought they might affect the rodent population but someone boobed there.....

The canals are now chock full of hunting Cambodians and Burmese.

Bullocks. All monitor lizards are protected in Thailand!

You have to be very careful of bites from these lizards,as they carry a lot of bacteria in their saliva,in fact the Komodo dragons in Indonesia, will often bite a goat,the goat runs off,but infection from the bite kills it a few days later,allowing the lizard to feast on it's corpse.