Thread Repair (helicoil)

My bike has 2 bolts that were cross threaded in their holes. I would like to drill the holes and insert a new thread (helicoil or similar) to be able to use the oem bolts and not drill and tap to use oversize bolts.

I have been around the usual pattaya shops looking for a helicoil and its like i am speaking another language :(. I found one shop that said they use brass with a inside and outside threads as a insert. I understand thailand has lots of poor mechanics but for every 100 bad there certainly is one good one?

Thailand has lots of vehicles which must have lot of bolts cross threaded over time. How are they doing these repair not everything can go oversized can it?

I have been around the usual pattaya shops looking for a helicoil and its like i am speaking another language sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png.

best to take them a picture of what you want

I found one shop that said they use brass with a inside and outside threads as a insert.

I thought helicoil was just a brass insert anyway.

I have been around the usual pattaya shops looking for a helicoil and its like i am speaking another language sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png.

best to take them a picture of what you want

I found one shop that said they use brass with a inside and outside threads as a insert.

I thought helicoil was just a brass insert anyway.

I took a picture too which didnt help. The ones i am familiar with are stainless.

• Like 1

No problem to buy the kit here in Chianmai at Lanna Tool. Comes in a blue box and you can buy extra SS inserts in different lengths if you wish

Stay away from the brass plugs as the tensile strength insures that you will strip it again, and it usually needs a larger hole

No problem to buy the kit here in Chianmai at Lanna Tool. Comes in a blue box and you can buy extra SS inserts in different lengths if you wish

Stay away from the brass plugs as the tensile strength insures that you will strip it again, and it usually needs a larger hole

Good to know seems cm has certain items that just arent available here in pattaya

Good to know seems cm has certain items that just arent available here in pattaya

If it is available in Chiang mai, sure it is available around chon buri/pattaya area or worst case Bangkok.

Hi Yankee

I go to the new hardware house on the no. 36 quite often and they have a big range of industrial tooling and machine shop equipment, if there is anywhere near Pattaya with a heli coil kit that will be the joint. Worth a go I think and only about 30 outside Pattaya.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

The fridaY night market at Baen Sean has a good selection of tool sellers. Milling and lathe tools are sold by quite a few. Would be worth a look.

Been to the one in chonburi a few times and imho no worth the trip.

Hi Yankee

I go to the new hardware house on the no. 36 quite often and they have a big range of industrial tooling and machine shop equipment, if there is anywhere near Pattaya with a heli coil kit that will be the joint. Worth a go I think and only about 30 outside Pattaya.

Id like to check this shop out as ive heard its got lots of good stuff.

Hi Yankee

you won't be disappointed they have everything and prices are very reasonable also.

• Like 1

Hi Yankee

you won't be disappointed they have everything and prices are very reasonable also.

When the pintong branch opened they also had everything....... now they don't got much of anything.

Never seen a helicoil kit there.

Thanks eddie for the info.

Went to hardware house on 36 this morning about 15 km from bira speedway. Asked the first attendant i saw in my best thai (and phone pic) for a thread repair kit? He said follow me and in a locked glass case he showed me this.

20140531_104229.jpg

@791 baht its a bargain! Funny as i have driven past this store numerous time and never noticed it. They have a huge sign in thai and a very small one in english with the store name. This just reminds me how handicapped i am living here and not knowing how to read thai.

This store is well stocked with things i dont normally see such as: copper flaring tool, 3/8 swivels, telescopic magnets and porta power just to name a few.

No worries, good luck with the repairs.

Went to hardware house on 36 this morning about 15 km from bira speedway. Asked the first attendant i saw in my best thai (and phone pic) for a thread repair kit? He said follow me and in a locked glass case he showed me this.

20140531_104229.jpg

@791 baht its a bargain! Funny as i have driven past this store numerous time and never noticed it. They have a huge sign in thai and a very small one in english with the store name. This just reminds me how handicapped i am living here and not knowing how to read thai.

This store is well stocked with things i dont normally see such as: copper flaring tool, 3/8 swivels, telescopic magnets and porta power just to name a few.

good job!

totally normal to find it around your area where majority of industrial production going on in Thailand.

• Like 1

You can't use stud lock with a bolt, as you can't tighten it, it is designed for studs, unless you can convert to a stud and nut. Hellicoils are the way to go, easy and as strong as the original, stronger if we are talking aluminium as the coils are steel.

Mail order a kit in http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88-PIECE-THREAD-REPAIR-KIT-HELICOIL-SET-FOR-SIZES-M6-M8-M10-/400713801058?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5d4c675d62

or maybe that guy could bring one with him, I am off to the UK soon, but not back until late October, but may bring a kit with me they are fantastic and I have a 30 year old bike.

Edited by AllanB
  • Like 1

20140531_104229.jpg

That's good news! About 15 km past Bira on the way to Rayong, yes?

20140531_104229.jpg

yes about 15 k and on the left side, there is a big shell servo just next door so you can't miss it .

• Like 1

20140531_104229.jpg

yes about 15 k and on the left side, there is a big shell servo just next door so you can't miss it .

Actually I don't see the tap for the hellicoils, the kit just has a tapered tapping tool, the ones I used had a proper plug type tap, for use on blind holes. If the tap is tapered, as this one looks, the bolt can jam, if the hole is shallow. So check first

And, of course the Stud-lock is no good for a bolt.

You can't use stud lock with a bolt, as you can't tighten it, it is designed for studs, unless you can convert to a stud and nut. Hellicoils are the way to go, easy and as strong as the original, stronger if we are talking aluminium as the coils are steel.

Mail order a kit in http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88-PIECE-THREAD-REPAIR-KIT-HELICOIL-SET-FOR-SIZES-M6-M8-M10-/400713801058?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5d4c675d62

or maybe that guy could bring one with him, I am off to the UK soon, but not back until late October, but may bring a kit with me they are fantastic and I have a 30 year old bike.

Actually i was going to use it to lock the insert as the hole doesnt have a stop. The directions have every language but english so i couldn't read them at the store. After returning home and looking online seems none is called for.

That link is a real good price but doesnt look like they ship here.

20140531_104229.jpg

I think you will really enjoy a trip to this store.

Here are 2 main dealers in Thailand, you can get their address and phone number from clicking on the Map locations and scrolling down. Usually your application will be be Stainless Steel Helicoils,you will need a special tool to insert them yourself,but no doubt the supplier will advise you!

http://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/contact/global-locations#asia

Edited by MAJIC

Here are 2 main dealers in Thailand, you can get their address and phone number from clicking on the Map locations and scrolling down. Usually your application will be be Stainless Steel Helicoils,you will need a special tool to insert them yourself,but no doubt the supplier will advise you!

http://www.stanleyengineeredfastening.com/contact/global-locations#asia

All hellicoils are stainless, or should be and I wouldn't trust a Thai dealer for any advice, get them from Europe or the States, maybe Oz.

The good kits are supplied with a plastic insertion too and a proper plug tap, you merely drill the hole and tap down to the depth of the hellicoil plus about 1mm.

Never glue them in, as they rely on being expanded into the tapped hole as you screw the bolt in, if you use a locking compound the internal hellicoil thread will be too small.

That is why a tapered tap is no good, as the hellicoil will keep going and contract on the bolt thread.