Is Thailand the hub of rude recruiters?

However, the behavior they normally exhibit confirms my suspicion that they are crap schools / agencies to work for.

Yes, that's why they can't get anyone to fill the positions.

Only the desperate would bow down to their silly demands, and they know it. That is why they offer low salaries or 10 month contracts.

• Like 2

Their spelling is not too good either....

As far as I can tell, Thailand is the only country which expects new staff to pay all expenses, non-refundable.

Other countries are offering visa fees, travel costs, accommodation and if it's on campus, meals as well.

Possibly the reason is that if the new staff member is not up to their expectations, he can be shown the door and the recruiters/schools lose nothing.

As far as I can tell, Thailand is the only country which expects new staff to pay all expenses, non-refundable.

Other countries are offering visa fees, travel costs, accommodation and if it's on campus, meals as well.

Is this more of a reflection of the general attitude that Thai's have towards foreign teachers?

Of course there are exceptions but if a school is still looking for staff now then there is probably a very good reason for that.

• Like 2

From the OP: "I have a current job, but am always willing to consider a more rewarding or more professional school. However, the current batch of recruiters have been just pathetic."

You complain about a lack of professionalism, but you are prepared to break your current contract if you can get more money somewhere else. Don't you consider the damage you do to your school, students and fellow teachers when you break a contract? You signed your current contract, and you agreed to its terms and conditions.

Can't agree more.-thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From the OP: "I have a current job, but am always willing to consider a more rewarding or more professional school. However, the current batch of recruiters have been just pathetic."

You complain about a lack of professionalism, but you are prepared to break your current contract if you can get more money somewhere else. Don't you consider the damage you do to your school, students and fellow teachers when you break a contract? You signed your current contract, and you agreed to its terms and conditions.

Can't agree more.- alt=thumbsup.gif>

I feel both of you are being very naïve in the extreme. Sirchai, you know better than most with your past experiences in this system. In the 'teaching game' in Thailand (and that's exactly what it is, a game) the school nor the system cares about their foreign teachers. You are simply a white face who is tolerated at best. They continually offer 1 year contracts when they are allowed to offer up to 3. The reason........... maybe we can get another whitey next year for cheaper. The fact that consistency is better for the students is neither here nor there. 'To be Number 1', we all know this expression in the 'teaching game' and this is exactly what the OP should be doing. Looking after number1, himself and his family. The school will show no loyalty to him and he in turn should do likewise. If the schools and the posters want professionalism then it is a two way street. If it isn't forthcoming from the school or the system then why the hell should he adopt a professional attitude to an English department who will drop him like a hat, should they find someone cheaper to do the job.

So, my question to both of you......... lets say you get an offer of 100,000 baht at a different school. Will you adapt this fictional 'professional attitude' and say 'NO'. Or will you do like all ESL teachers will do .............. and walk.

Professionalism...............the skill, good judgment, and polite behavior that is expected from a person who is trained to do a job well. Show me a professional English Department in a Thai school and a Thai teacher who exudes it and then you will get professionalism from me also.

The quiet man, you make me laugh..............you so funny!

"They continually offer 1 year contracts when they are allowed to offer up to 3. The reason........... maybe we can get another whitey next year for cheaper."

Or maybe they've had some bad foreign teachers, and are hoping for someone better.

"Show me a professional English Department in a Thai school and a Thai teacher who exudes it and then you will get professionalism from me

also."

Thank you for helping to make the case for my comment above.

Did you read what you wrote? Did you understand it?

I completely understand people breaking a contract for more money, but I don't understand people who break a contract for a slight raise in salary. I know people who break the contract and don't even make up the difference they would get by collecting the end of contract bonus.

I have had numerous teachers who have left and then asked to return a year later. It seems that some schools do offer a good salary, but they don't give you a work permit, they don't pay holidays, they don't provide housing or insurance. Some have expectations that include weekend work and after school work which is not paid.

• Like 2

"They continually offer 1 year contracts when they are allowed to offer up to 3. The reason........... maybe we can get another whitey next year for cheaper."

Or maybe they've had some bad foreign teachers, and are hoping for someone better.

"Show me a professional English Department in a Thai school and a Thai teacher who exudes it and then you will get professionalism from me

also."

Thank you for helping to make the case for my comment above.

Did you read what you wrote? Did you understand it?

Yes, I understand completely what I wrote. I have been at the same school for 4 years. I do my job well and the students like me. However, I could be so much better and I know that. I want to win competitions, I want to do drama with my students. I want to start a new team sport that originates from my country. However, the continual lack of professionalism from the department prohibits me from doing so. It is this lack of professionalism that de-motivates me and in turn stops me from improving my worth. Trying your best here in Thailand and trying to affect change will only bring you woe. For having a 'professional' attitude, you will be labelled as a 'trouble maker' , a person who doesn't swim with the other fish, an outsider.

I have proven my worth at this school which is recognised by my continuous renewal of contracts.

Give me a 3 year contract, allow me to plan ahead for my family, which in turn allows me to make changes for the betterment of my students. I and my colleagues can then create a proper curriculum and a real plan that can only benefit the school and the students.

Will they adopt this professional attitude ? will they hell!

• Like 1

Actually, my contract ends next month, which is why I am even reading the e-mails. Personally, I have never broken a contract. Thanks for the attention, but next time, think before you judge. Thank you.

A teaching contract that ends in June, just 1 month after the start of the academic year. whistling.gif I have never heard of that.

You said here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726242-yearly-dodgy-school-recrutiment-rush/#entry7824411

"Once again, as the new term begins..." so you are working at a formal school.

Edited by Loaded

Their spelling is not too good either....

Possibly the reason is that if the new staff member is not up to their expectations, he can be shown the door and the recruiters/schools lose nothing.

"If we decide your [sic] good enough..."

"Their spelling is not too good either..."

Certainly someone's spelling is not too good, whether it's the imaginary recruiters or ...

• Like 2

why dont you start a union of farang teachers and off course charge them for the privilege...

than you all can go start making demands and wage increases

oh I just gave away a golden goose idea

edit ... edit.... :)

Can't agree more.-thumbsup.gif

I can't agree more with the OP, but not with these hip-shot assumptions. I am also always on the lookout for a better contract [but in a different field]. The key word is 'contract', limited term employment. Not a word was said about breaking contract nor honoring them terms therein. You find a better contract (or better yet, the elusive permanent position), advise your new employer of you date of availability, give notice to the current employer and move on.

Since when does having a skill over half a billion others have make you a needed entity? There are far too many English speakers willing to live and work in Thailand at substandard wages and benefits to ever receive a fair shake. Wake up!

Lots of Philippine teachers willing to teach at lower rates. English not greatest and accent not best but cheap teachers all the same.

Very true. The Filipinos are willing and eager to work for half the pay and allowances Western foreigners get and many of the Filipinos hold degrees in English. The key point is that many of the Filipinos speak and write better English than their Western counterparts--rather than argue with me, just go over the TV forums about teaching English in Thailand and see how many times the moderators had to intervene because the current or prospective Western "English teacher" couldn't put together a simple sentence and was being ridiculed by other TV posters.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Since when does having a skill over half a billion others have make you a needed entity? There are far too many English speakers willing to live and work in Thailand at substandard wages and benefits to ever receive a fair shake. Wake up!

True,,,,,, many speak English...................but many cannot teach and relay that to others. And ...............as i have read and seen on here, they are not capable of proper grammatical English, cannot spell, and are probably pissheads !

• Like 1

He never said he would break his contract, get a life.

• Like 1