Is Thailand the hub of rude recruiters?

From the OP: "I have a current job, but am always willing to consider a more rewarding or more professional school. However, the current batch of recruiters have been just pathetic."

You complain about a lack of professionalism, but you are prepared to break your current contract if you can get more money somewhere else. Don't you consider the damage you do to your school, students and fellow teachers when you break a contract? You signed your current contract, and you agreed to its terms and conditions.

He never said he would break his contract, get a life.

He wrote "I have a current job, but am always willing to consider a more rewarding or more professional school."

I wrote "you are prepared to break your current contract"

You wrote "He never said he would break his contract,"

get some reading comprehension skills

From the OP: "I have a current job, but am always willing to consider a more rewarding or more professional school. However, the current batch of recruiters have been just pathetic."

You complain about a lack of professionalism, but you are prepared to break your current contract if you can get more money somewhere else. Don't you consider the damage you do to your school, students and fellow teachers when you break a contract? You signed your current contract, and you agreed to its terms and conditions.

He wrote "I have a current job, but am always willing to consider a more rewarding or more professional school."

Yes, you should Loaded.

Yes, you should Loaded.

He implied I said that he would break his contract, I didn't, as pointed out above, hence my comment. There are some subtle differences you may have missed.

Edited by Loaded

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Since when does having a skill over half a billion others have make you a needed entity? There are far too many English speakers willing to live and work in Thailand at substandard wages and benefits to ever receive a fair shake. Wake up!

True,,,,,, many speak English...................but many cannot teach and relay that to others. And ...............as i have read and seen on here, they are not capable of proper grammatical English, cannot spell, and are probably pissheads !

Exactly, but if you are a good teacher, and if you do have the credentials and the supporting documentation, you can earn good money at some of the better Thai universities. I have two young friends who just started teaching at university and earn B120k and B150k per month: plus housing, utilities, health insurance, sick leave, research stipend, publication assistance, and fully equipped office.

If not, well, you are living in LOS.

Please, trying to better yourself is unprofessional? A 30-day notice should be sufficient for job termination. Any self-respecting business would not experience high turnover, if they treated the employees better. If a competitor offers comparable jobs, products, or services at better value, you'd better improve your offerings or you're liable to . . . .

If employees believe they have the right to break fixed term contracts, then I guess it's reasonable for employers to have the same rights.

And they do, do they not?[/quote

Well not in my own personal experience, but...

I'm just alluding to the double standards. This forum has had many threads about terrible employers breaking contracts, and endless discussion about employee legal rights in such scenarios. Just seems rather hypocritical. Professionals in any field are usually bound by professional standards of behaviour, that's one of the criteria of professionalism.

• Like 1

very true ajarnsiam

I have been both sides of the fence. I am now responsible for hiring foreign teachers where I work. Most are professional, reliable and hardworking; however, a sizable minority are some of the most selfish and malicious people I have ever met anywhere. The comments of a few posting here remind me of them.

People willing to work without the proper paperwork continues to keep the water muddy, at best. Farang with Thai wife (and kids), Farang who can't return to his home country (many scenarios), Farang that couldn't get a job with their liberal arts degree and a weak market.

I put on my resume, that agencies would have to work with me on a retainer basis. I haven't been getting any calls, this year. Might re-activate and see what happens. I love to teach Math(s), but I'll be damned if I'm going to jeopardize a perfectly good O-A visa, by working illegally.

Lots of Philippine teachers willing to teach at lower rates. English not greatest and accent not best but cheap teachers all the same.

Very true. The Filipinos are willing and eager to work for half the pay and allowances Western foreigners get and many of the Filipinos hold degrees in English. The key point is that many of the Filipinos speak and write better English than their Western counterparts--rather than argue with me, just go over the TV forums about teaching English in Thailand and see how many times the moderators had to intervene because the current or prospective Western "English teacher" couldn't put together a simple sentence and was being ridiculed by other TV posters.

Touche' Jose'

People willing to work without the proper paperwork continues to keep the water muddy, at best. Farang with Thai wife (and kids), Farang who can't return to his home country (many scenarios), Farang that couldn't get a job with their liberal arts degree and a weak market.

I put on my resume, that agencies would have to work with me on a retainer basis. I haven't been getting any calls, this year. Might re-activate and see what happens. I love to teach Math(s), but I'll be damned if I'm going to jeopardize a perfectly good O-A visa, by working illegally.

I know someone who claims to teach English at the Department of Labor and has no work permit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know someone who claims to teach English at the Department of Labor and has no work permit.

blink.pngcheesy.gif TIT I guess

• 2 months later...

They likely realize what a hassle it is.

Many ads are written by folks who are "not from this world" laugh.png 15,000 B and MA Ed / PhD. Or they expect a stampede of foreign teachers on some open day in the sticks. ** Forget professional courtesy like responding to a question which in turn shows the applicant is at least considering the position. ** Many months later, one may get a call...

Weeks ago, I sent an urgent e-mail to my HR contact and the HoD, asking specifically for the documents to change the Non-B Visa at Immigration. Yesterday, the school's van was making runs and I was graciously allowed to get on. Some other teacher had business at Immigration as well. Alas, without the documents, they wouldn't process my request.

That B-Visa will expire this week and this is going to be me last day.

Upon return (after having wasted 5 hours on this trip which had been doomed from the start) I got a Facebook message about those documents now being ready at the Vize Director's office.

Well, with xx hours left before I'm facing overstay or arrest and deportation (depending on the circumstances), I booked a one-way flight out of Thailand.

They say they want me to work here - but getting this paperwork "sorted" is beyond an organization's capability?!? While I don't know what exactly Immigration will want to see (besides the WP, a map showing the location of the school and the contract), they know. As every year, the very same thing is coming up for every foreigner in their employ! facepalm.gif

Okay, they may hire someone else. But it takes more than hiring people. Keeping them would also make sense.

Yeah it's not just recruiters heh. I submitted an inquiry about a univeristy post, emailed both the person whose email address was on the advert as well as the email address of the contact person in department (and had to dig awhile to find that). Emailed both just to show that yes, hey I can find information.

Almost a month on and no reply. Was a very simple question regarding WHEN the position is being filled, I.E. this term or for next term. This information was in no way in the advert.

Says a lot when a school can't be bothered to jot off a quick 30 second email to potential applicants.

• Like 1

Im sure the agencys would be thinking that the teachers are getting worse each year. I also beleieve that the stereotype of a foriegn teacher in Thailand is a person that complains too often and yet does little about it. Put 3 or more Esl teachers togeather and wait about 2 miniutes and the complaining starts. Thai schools dont do this or that etc. Drives me nuts.

• Like 1

Their spelling is not too good either....

As far as I can tell, Thailand is the only country which expects new staff to pay all expenses, non-refundable.

Other countries are offering visa fees, travel costs, accommodation and if it's on campus, meals as well.

Possibly the reason is that if the new staff member is not up to their expectations, he can be shown the door and the recruiters/schools lose nothing.

The UK and many other European countries offer no benefits to fully qualified teachers even when hiring from abroad....

Lots of Philippine teachers willing to teach at lower rates. English not greatest and accent not best but cheap teachers all the same.

I agree with this, but why do some schools specifically ban Filipinos from their system?

Sure, their accent is a bit different, and spelling a bit weak, but by and large, they seem a happy bunch and the students like them.

Like all of us teachers or ex-teachers, we've had undertake training such as Cambridge TEFLA, and we never get back the cost as the salaries are so low, and I trust the Filipinos have also undertaken such courses.

It's an experience, not a money saving career, and some franchises are set up to ensure teachers don't jump between schools, and always placing new teachers on the bottom rung of the salaries ladder, irrespective of qualifications and teaching experience.

As one writer says, Thailand is the only ASEAN country which expects new teachers to cover all costs of getting here and setting up somewhere to stay. China has much stricter rules, and they have no shortage of teachers. They pay all costs and in many cases include accommodation AND meals!

Some years back, I flew from Australia to Chiang Mai, bus to a city south of Chiang Mai, taxi to the school, had an interview, did a trial teaching with staff as 'students'. Advised I had the job, returned to Australia, and prepared to move.

Never heard another thing. About 18 months later, I heard through the grapevine that the school computer had crashed, no back-ups, and lost all records. A great experience. whistling.gif

I often wonder how this compares to say Cambodia or Laos.

• Like 1

You are lucky they send it to yo email They could send it collect telegram

Please read again...

Never heard another thing. About 18 months later, I heard through the grapevine that the school computer had crashed, no back-ups, and lost all records.