Wife seeks jail term rather than stay with husband of 32 years

Lite Beer

I wonder if this will start a fad for a while or is ' self defense ' still the best way out ?

Wonder how Thailand would be if more women left husbands who abused them, didn't work etc. And if there were minor children they went to court and asked for child support. I bet many Thai males would be runnin for the hills.

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, OK, a nice bit of stagecraft. Now let's hear the husband's side of the story (you know, the half of the marriage that DIDN'T motor to the police station with a loaded, illegal, weapon...requesting incarceration).

What a dreadful story. I hope she/they get the help they need. My missus says she often feels similar especially when I 'performance fart' in front of her pals or in the garden where the neighbours can see.

I never knew you could see a FART.

Feel sorry for the Woman for more reasons than one. Do you think if a Politician walked into a Police Station with a loaded gun he would be arrested and told the court would decide his/her fate and that he/she could serve up to one year in prison ? Do you believe that the officer in charge of the Police Station would comment '' he sympathised with him/her but the Police still have to charge him/her '' ?

Until the law applies equally to all sections of society this country cannot progress.

Some Thai politicians can even pull out their Uzi submachine gun in a restaurant and shoot their wife to death with it, and walk away from the episode without legal repercusions. :)

• Like 1

What a dreadful story. I hope she/they get the help they need. My missus says she often feels similar especially when I 'performance fart' in front of her pals or in the garden where the neighbours can see.

Other than displaying your obvious gravely low societal-level; what was your Post supposed to contribute to this very sad story ? ? ?

bah.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well it certainly is a cry for help. Those single shot shotguns are a nasty bit of business and could have helped solve her issues. I'm very surprised she didn't use it on him and claim self defense.

She will after she spends any amount of time in jail.

I hope they get her the needed medical help to adjust the medications it seems she either is on or should be. I hope things work out for her and her husband.

If the story is true, medication is not the answer, and the wife is not sick. I suspect there is a large number of people in similar situations whose main recourse is alcohol, a temple retreat - usually for the wife or buckets of unnecessary medication from a GP or psychiatrist . There are very limited counselling resources in thailand as its not part of the culture and the small number of psychiatrists are keen to protect their own turf and incomes.

rotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gifHD you owe me a new keybord. lol.gif

• Like 1

Personality changes in the aged brain.............

The changes in personalities of older and old people are not unusual. One possibility is Alzheimer disease which is degenerative, incurable, and involved in the mid to latter stages are wild mood swings from jolly to vicious within an hour and flawed decision making. Such a person can become quite violent in a flash with no trigger for it; the violence can include murder and fighting and is directed even to close family members with a lifetime record of love that suddenly changes. Also, that person can change from murderous to loving and even romantic rapidly.

Many Alzheimer patients remember the vile things they said and did and will cry and express deep remorse at times of no violence. They may not fully realize what is happening to them due to flawed thinking. Treatment via medications has mixed results. There is definitely no cure. The disease usually moves from early stage with lots of forgetfulness and grumpy moods to mid stage of flashes of violent temper, to end stage where the person is totally removed from ordinary reality and has no memory and thus no continuous awareness of the world around them. They look up from their plate and immediately forget they were eating, and when seeing the food again, express deep joy but no memory of the food having been there nor how it got there. Longer term memories are spotty where some long past incidents will be very clear and others totally forgotten. At any of these stages, the person should not be trusted to make decisions, spend money, nor make contracts. Caregivers will be significantly stressed.

There are other dementia-type brain degenerative diseases, including Parkinson's, which share most of these symptoms. Many go through the violent stage. Care in Thailand is particularly difficult because many patients are kept at home and also may not get full medical attention. If there is not a physically strong caregiver present to restrain the violent episodes, severe problems are likely.

With the often-seen situation of an older man married to a younger Thai, these degenerative diseases are a significant problem here.

I hope they get her the needed medical help to adjust the medications it seems she either is on or should be. I hope things work out for her and her husband.

If the story is true, medication is not the answer, and the wife is not sick. I suspect there is a large number of people in similar situations whose main recourse is alcohol, a temple retreat - usually for the wife or buckets of unnecessary medication from a GP or psychiatrist . There are very limited counselling resources in thailand as its not part of the culture and the small number of psychiatrists are keen to protect their own turf and incomes.

Actually that is not true. Counselling is one part of the treatment and it is used but limited. Mopst treatment is totally free for thais and the medication used is the same as overseas but about 5 years behind. I know several thai people who are recieving treatment for severe bi-polar and a couple of people who have been hospitised for a period in one of the psychiatric hospitals while medication was adjusted.

I think everyone would agree medication has side effects but the liffe of the person taking it is improved.

• Like 1

For evolution deniers LOS is an excellent case study.While Darwinianism is largely accepted it does not discount the possibility that inappropriate adaption to new conditions may lead to extinction.In tribal groups evolution of new pecking order is always interesting to observe.In the long run dinosaurs become extinct.

Duh ?

Well it certainly is a cry for help. Those single shot shotguns are a nasty bit of business and could have helped solve her issues. I'm very surprised she didn't use it on him and claim self defense.

I am not a lawyer, and especially I am not a Thai lawyer, but from cases I have read about over many years I believe the Thai courts do not allow a claim of self defense from a wife. If she kills her husband that's murder, period. Not like the U.S. Of course a murder charge carries a sentence of life in prison, but I believe that works out to seven years. Still, if she's over 50 that's a long time. and prisons are dangerous and uncomfortable places. You can die there. However, it's an option some women find preferable to their situation.

Edited by Acharn

Personality changes in the aged brain.............

The changes in personalities of older and old people are not unusual. One possibility is Alzheimer disease which is degenerative, incurable, and involved in the mid to latter stages are wild mood swings from jolly to vicious within an hour and flawed decision making. Such a person can become quite violent in a flash with no trigger for it; the violence can include murder and fighting and is directed even to close family members with a lifetime record of love that suddenly changes. Also, that person can change from murderous to loving and even romantic rapidly.

Many Alzheimer patients remember the vile things they said and did and will cry and express deep remorse at times of no violence. They may not fully realize what is happening to them due to flawed thinking. Treatment via medications has mixed results. There is definitely no cure. The disease usually moves from early stage with lots of forgetfulness and grumpy moods to mid stage of flashes of violent temper, to end stage where the person is totally removed from ordinary reality and has no memory and thus no continuous awareness of the world around them. They look up from their plate and immediately forget they were eating, and when seeing the food again, express deep joy but no memory of the food having been there nor how it got there. Longer term memories are spotty where some long past incidents will be very clear and others totally forgotten. At any of these stages, the person should not be trusted to make decisions, spend money, nor make contracts. Caregivers will be significantly stressed.

There are other dementia-type brain degenerative diseases, including Parkinson's, which share most of these symptoms. Many go through the violent stage. Care in Thailand is particularly difficult because many patients are kept at home and also may not get full medical attention. If there is not a physically strong caregiver present to restrain the violent episodes, severe problems are likely.

With the often-seen situation of an older man married to a younger Thai, these degenerative diseases are a significant problem here.

There are other possibilities. As far as I know there's no treatment for Alzheimer's, but some other age-related mental disorders can be treated, either behaviorally or with drugs.

I find it interesting that the Thais do not seem to regard mental illness with the same loathing that Americans do. In my experience there is no onus in going to the "Crazy Hispital" (that's my translation of the term I heard people using). Last year my wife was suffering from a mysterius syndrome of vomiting a couple hours after eating. One of the things they tried was having her evaluated at the psychiatric hospital. They said it could have been clinical depression. Later it was diagnosed as a blockage in her intestine and she died from it, but recourse to the psychiatric hospital wasn't seen as a bad thing to do.

No mention of physical violence or rape accompanied the article, which likely waters down the severity of the problem. There is obviously a dire threat to this woman if she hands a gun in to the police and prefers jail to remaining in a violent domestic living situation. The phrase "domestic violence" has not been mentioned in the article, nor as far as I can tell from within the forum. This is very obviously a domestic violence situation.

I have talked with Thai women who claim to have escaped domestic violence situations, similar to the one described above. All of them claim they are left utterly defenseless, with no resources, as their husbands beat them, are often drunk, take family resources/money, and are unfaithful. The woman in these situations remains as a victim, with no support from the community, as they claim, no one does anything to help the victims.

In other countries there are Domestic Violence shelters, battered women's shelters, and other life- saving places of refuge for women and children. Often alternative housing is offered to the victims, providing security, safety, and non-disclosure of the whereabouts of the victims of DV.

Why is there nothing like this for Thai women, or if there are, they are not readily available to the majority of poorer women? Why has the subject of domestic violence, or the need for domestic violence victims resources, not been mentioned in the article, or as far as I have read, within the forum? The greatest aid to abusers is the denial and silence accompanying domestic violence by the community and the media.

Edited by me313
  • Like 1

Her actions show Thai logic at its best,the husband is probably suffering the first stages of Alzheimers or needs psychiatric treatment. Didn't think of asking a doctors opinion first before applying for a prison sentence

Her description of his emotional state strongly points to Borderline Personality Disorder. I have a friend of twenty years who's had this his entire life. He lives in the UK. And yes, you do want to punch his lights out when he 'goes into one', so I can relate to her rather spending 'time out' in jail rather than having to put up with him. Their rapid mood swings are very different from manic depression in that their Jekyll/Hyde sides spin on a dime. Drugs don't work. and antidepressants make them, alarmingly, worse. Dialectical Behaviour Therapy seems to be the only solution. Not sure if they have that here.

People suffering form stress-induced depression can end up looking for any way out. Some people just leave. A certain percentage of adult missing person cases are people who just wanted to escape from their lives. However, leaving with nothing and nowhere to go to can be quite frightening and many people will just stay in a bad situation, rather than venture off into the unknown.

By turning herself into the police, she is ensured an escape from her current circumstances as well as shelter and safety. It wouldn't be my choice, but it seems to be what she needed.

• Like 1

hello,,,,!!! divorce,,, and heaydrinker grow the f up,,

I personally found it quite funny and judging by the likes he received, other people also found it rather humorous ...sometimes light hearted posts about performances farts is what this forum needs to lighten things up just a tad....

Never understood this either, my wife thinks the same thing... I guess some how farting is a sin, in some peoples eyes... I thought it was always a natural digestive function..... My thoughts? There is no one too, perfect not to fart.... Forgive me reality..... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Or I guess they prefer burping, but it is a reverse fart... Oh so sorry it is not a perfect world... Come to think of it water buffalos have the same problem,

Guess they get gas from what is natural.... If you ever lived on a Thai farm, they impel the buffalo to let the gas out...... giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

Kerry