Just renewed my Retirement Visa...

FolkGuitar

^^^^ paragraph two,...from your o/post....no one has asked???

Erm..... Perhaps you really meant to say 'no one has asked in the open forum.' That would be correct. No one has asked in the open forum. But over 750 people have read this thread. Might you suppose that some of them asked for more information privately? I realize that's a stretch, but ... just consider it for a moment.

^^^^ paragraph three...sure your service may be good,but to coin a phrase that handing your passport in.(out of your sight) is no different to describing a good nosh at a restaurant etc etc, gosh that is a statement..

Yes! Very good! You get points for accuracy. It was a statement, not a question.

summing up your appraisal,of your agent ,the red flags would be up(with me),

Then I would suggest not using them. It really is that simple, and your choice to make.

when you do not have appear personally at the immgr office to collect your p/port, to my knowledge

... to your knowledge. Where exactly did you study Thai Immigration law? And have you keep up with the updates, or did you read a 'published' page or two some time in the past and decide that you are now an expert? Remember, it's 'published' that when entering Thailand at the Mei Sai border crossing, we have to produce 20,000 baht. It's even right on a 'published' paper taped to the window of the Immigration booth. Have you ever met anyone who actually had to show money? Personally, I made that border crossing at least 30 times over ten years and was never asked... But it' the law!

As said before, no one is twisting your arm. You are free to do anything you wish to. You are even free to get upset when others choose differently from you.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well little old me would rather pay Assist Thai Visa then visit the ZOO.

And I am not a well off person, I have enough and my sanity is more important then the B6,500 I fork out for renewal and 90 day.

john

So if I am understanding you correctly; the 6500 covers the annual extension interview and the three 90 day check -ins? And then don't you pay 1900 extra for the extension annually? Did you just give bank account info to agent or did you go to your bank and get the letter OR did you go to the consulate and swear you make 65000 thb per month and paid them 1500 Thb? Details, details, details............

A lot of us aren't averse to "paying for it"....(lol), but we would like to know exactly what they extra costs are. Some say "I pay an agent 10,000 per year, and never step foot in immigration is a bit misleading...because the visas and the letters aren't free to begin with, and I've heard of people getting the run-around on the medical certificate, as well as the bank letter.....including someone, who went to RAM for the medical certificate....meanwhile many on here have stated they can go in about any clinic and get the letter for 50-100 thb.

If you've been in the habit of supplying a medical certificate in support of either your annual applications for the extension of your "permission to stay" in the Kingdom or your quarterly ninety day reports to Thai Immigration, then I'm afraid that it's you who's been given "the run-around".

Seeing as how you're not "averse to 'paying for it'.....(lol)", you might be one of those who would be well advised to seek professional assistance.

I stated earlier that I had just made my fist 90 day report, and I obtained my visa from DC. If you're unable to read two pages of English before jumping to conclusions; you should take your own advice. And what do you know, somebody else noticed that getting there at 6 am with all the other invalids that go to bed at 8:30pm maybe isn't the best strategy.

Erm..... Perhaps you really meant to say 'no one has asked in the open forum.' That would be correct. No one has asked in the open forum. But over 750 people have read this thread. Might you suppose that some of them asked for more information privately? I realize that's a stretch, but ... just consider it for a moment.

^^^^ paragraph three...sure your service may be good,but to coin a phrase that handing your passport in.(out of your sight) is no different to describing a good nosh at a restaurant etc etc, gosh that is a statement..

Yes! Very good! You get points for accuracy. It was a statement, not a question.

summing up your appraisal,of your agent ,the red flags would be up(with me),

Then I would suggest not using them. It really is that simple, and your choice to make.

when you do not have appear personally at the immgr office to collect your p/port, to my knowledge

... to your knowledge. Where exactly did you study Thai Immigration law? And have you keep up with the updates, or did you read a 'published' page or two some time in the past and decide that you are now an expert? Remember, it's 'published' that when entering Thailand at the Mei Sai border crossing, we have to produce 20,000 baht. It's even right on a 'published' paper taped to the window of the Immigration booth. Have you ever met anyone who actually had to show money? Personally, I made that border crossing at least 30 times over ten years and was never asked... But it' the law!

As said before, no one is twisting your arm. You are free to do anything you wish to. You are even free to get upset when others choose differently from you.

I hate to spoil your parade 'Guitar, but I've seen them make families show the 20K at Maesai, and there were several families using the same 20K, because I watched them pass it through the steel bars.

• Like 1

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Personally I find that to spend no more that five minutes doing my 90 day and twenty minutes for my visa extension is less inconvenience than having my haircut. I simply do not need to spend thousands of baht to line the pockets of an assistance service and the person with whom they have an arrangement. Freedom of choice is what it is all about, until I find that I am being negatively affected by those using "special arrangements".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LOL

I find it funny the many different points of view here on the subject. I go in early in the morning for my extension with no guarantee of how long I will be there. Yet I find it less inconvenient than I do siting waiting for my Hair cut. Just goes to show how wide a difference of opinions people can have. The one thing that strikes me funny about these posts Is considering out of 60 a day (that is what the officer told me they average) only ten can get appointments and yet 80% of the posts on the subject are from the ones who get the one in 6 appointments.

Rarely see comments from the other 5 out of 6 downgrading the system.

Such is Life in Farongland Chiang Mai. I repeat LOL

I hate to spoil your parade 'Guitar, but I've seen them make families show the 20K at Maesai, and there were several families using the same 20K, because I watched them pass it through the steel bars.

But you didn't spoil anything. In fact, you proved my point. So very many of the various 'requirements' tend to be entirely up to the mood of the officer at the moment.

Have YOU had to show money every time you passed through into the country? I know I was never asked. I know some folks who had to show money once out of many years of crossings, and others who never were asked. I always keep 20,000 in my wallet when making the crossing just in case, as it IS a published requirement, but I've never had to produce it.

I used Assist Thaivisa and my experience was the same as FolkGuitar's.

I signed many forms and I do believe a Power of Attorney was one.

Cost between 5500 and 6500 THB to ATV, plus Immigration's fees, less that the cost of dinner for two in LA.

In my case I received a multiple re-entry permit as well. I have left and entered Thailand twice since getting this extension, with Immigration doing their thing at BKK and DMK, so I am sure it is a valid visa extension and reentry permit and never doubted that.

The forms I signed were in Thai and I did not read them, just like everyone who gets the visa extension at Immigration, with or without appointment.

We could all be signing confessions to kidnapping the Lindbergh baby. We would never know.

Hi mesquite, You signed Power of attorney forms !, does that cover your bank accounts?

You also signed several forms that were in Thai,that you could not read! you must be a

very trusting person,or .........

regards Worgeordie

I am trusting. When you sign the forms at Immigration, do you read them? Does anyone? The Power of Attorney form was also in Thai. They told me what it was.

when you go into immigration to do the work yourself you read the form that is how you know how to fill it in. I am no good at paper work and have a copy a friend helped me fill in on my computer. All I have to do is fill in the date the rest is already on the form

Well.... I tried that. 100 days before my visa was set to expire I tried to make an appointment, and there were NO AVAILABLE SLOTS. It's a good system but it doesn't always work.

So I chose my next alternative;

I used the services of Visa Assist Thailand. I was told at the time when I first talked with them that the requirements seemed to change from month to month regarding the need for me to appear in person. When I was there asking for information, at that time it WAS required that I show up, but I was told I'd only need to be there for less than five minutes. A month later when I returned to do the actual renewal, it WAS NOT required.

As far as costs went, my condominium office gave me a letter if residence for free.

I already had a bunch of passport pictures that I printed out myself on a page with 20 photos. Let's call that free as well, although there will be some here who will insist on figuring in the price of ink per page and dividing by 20.

The agency fee for a renewal is 5,500 baht. The charged another 200 baht to get the letter from my bank showing my balance.

I hired them to handle the 90-day reports for the year as well. That cost 1,000 baht (1,500 if you do it separately from other services.)

I walked from my building near Hillside 4 to their office on Chiangmai Land Rd, so no cost for gas or selor. I like to walk.

The only other costs were the Immigration Office charges, I believe were 1,900 for a renewal.

To me, the expense is worth it. 8,000 baht is going to be a hardship, you probably don't have enough income to remain in the country anyway. If you simply don't want to spend 8,000 baht, and wish to deal with Immigration yourself... well... this is what makes horse racing. Everyone has their own preferences. Neither way is better than the other. Simply different.

Knowing several people who have used their services gave me the confidence that the Immigration franking would be genuine. These friends have been in and out of the Kingdom many times, and Immigration never questioned their visas. My wife used their services for her last visa, and she too has been in and out of the Kingdom several times since. No problems.

"As far as costs went, my condominium office gave me a letter if residence for free.

I already had a bunch of passport pictures that I printed out myself on a page with 20 photos. Let's call that free as well, although there will be some here who will insist on figuring in the price of ink per page and dividing by 20.

The agency fee for a renewal is 5,500 baht. The charged another 200 baht to get the letter from my bank showing my balance."

Are you saying that now we need proof of residency for an extension of stay? Can't ever remember being asked for it. But I take it because another poster said he was asked and I want to be ready for it. You are only the second poster I have seen saying it is required.

Also I was under the understanding that you had to show them your bank book and the figures on it had to match the ones on the letter. Even if they were both over 800,000 baht.

Well little old me would rather pay Assist Thai Visa then visit the ZOO.

And I am not a well off person, I have enough and my sanity is more important then the B6,500 I fork out for renewal and 90 day.

john

So if I am understanding you correctly; the 6500 covers the annual extension interview and the three 90 day check -ins? And then don't you pay 1900 extra for the extension annually? Did you just give bank account info to agent or did you go to your bank and get the letter OR did you go to the consulate and swear you make 65000 thb per month and paid them 1500 Thb? Details, details, details............

A lot of us aren't averse to "paying for it"....(lol), but we would like to know exactly what they extra costs are. Some say "I pay an agent 10,000 per year, and never step foot in immigration is a bit misleading...because the visas and the letters aren't free to begin with, and I've heard of people getting the run-around on the medical certificate, as well as the bank letter.....including someone, who went to RAM for the medical certificate....meanwhile many on here have stated they can go in about any clinic and get the letter for 50-100 thb.

If you've been in the habit of supplying a medical certificate in support of either your annual applications for the extension of your "permission to stay" in the Kingdom or your quarterly ninety day reports to Thai Immigration, then I'm afraid that it's you who's been given "the run-around".

Seeing as how you're not "averse to 'paying for it'.....(lol)", you might be one of those who would be well advised to seek professional assistance.

I stated earlier that I had just made my fist 90 day report, and I obtained my visa from DC. If you're unable to read two pages of English before jumping to conclusions; you should take your own advice. And what do you know, somebody else noticed that getting there at 6 am with all the other invalids that go to bed at 8:30pm maybe isn't the best strategy.

Ha!

Calm thyself, O Angry Alien!

I'll admit to being somewhat surprised to hear that you've only been here for ninety days, simply because it would seem to be impossible to have learned everything about well..... everything.... in that modest span of time.

If anyone had asked, I'd have guessed that you've been here for a freaking eternity!

I'm quite pleased to hear that your "fist" 90 day report went so well. I expect that when you handed over that troublesome medical certificate to the immigration officer, everyone in the room was up to their elbows in mirth and frivolity!

As I and others have advised......professional help is available. It may not be too late! wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

You could have also made an appointment 100 days before you want to

renew your retirement extension,on the immigrations website,simple and

easy,just mark on the calender 100 day before so you can get an appointment,

Well.... I tried that. 100 days before my visa was set to expire I tried to make an appointment, and there were NO AVAILABLE SLOTS. It's a good system but it doesn't always work.

So I chose my next alternative;

I used the services of Visa Assist Thailand. I was told at the time when I first talked with them that the requirements seemed to change from month to month regarding the need for me to appear in person. When I was there asking for information, at that time it WAS required that I show up, but I was told I'd only need to be there for less than five minutes. A month later when I returned to do the actual renewal, it WAS NOT required.

As far as costs went, my condominium office gave me a letter if residence for free.

The agency fee for a renewal is 5,500 baht. The charged another 200 baht to get the letter from my bank showing my balance.

I hired them to handle the 90-day reports for the year as well. That cost 1,000 baht (1,500 if you do it separately from other services.)

I walked from my building near Hillside 4 to their office on Chiangmai Land Rd, so no cost for gas or selor. I like to walk.

The only other costs were the Immigration Office charges, I believe were 1,900 for a renewal.

To me, the expense is worth it. 8,000 baht is going to be a hardship, you probably don't have enough income to remain in the country anyway. If you simply don't want to spend 8,000 baht, and wish to deal with Immigration yourself... well... this is what makes horse racing. Everyone has their own preferences. Neither way is better than the other. Simply different.

Knowing several people who have used their services gave me the confidence that the Immigration franking would be genuine. These friends have been in and out of the Kingdom many times, and Immigration never questioned their visas. My wife used their services for her last visa, and she too has been in and out of the Kingdom several times since. No problems.

This is the part that concerns me and I can see the way this is heading.

It seems as the online booking system is becoming like a lottery and the only alternatives are going to be is to queue outside of Immigration from the very early hours and there are still no guarantees there will be a slot available on the day if people push the queue as it`s every man for himself, the fittest gets in first, of perhaps face the prospect of being there for many hours or all day, or use the agency system which is slowly becoming the only choice to ensure we get our visas or our visa extensions when required.

I have no idea who is behind these agencies but I guess it must be an extremely lucrative business for what is basically an administrative job and knowing the way to Immigration in order to have the passports stamped.

So I can assume that in the not so distant future that we will all be forced to use these agencies and expect to pay the sums of probably up to 10000 baht per year (so far) with everything included just to have our annual visas extended.

This sounds like a crap deal for the visa applicants and wonderful scheme for whoever is running these agencies that for them, the sky`s the limit. Who is to say that once we all have to go via these agencies in order to deal with Immigration, that they won`t double their fees or in fact charge any amounts they like because we won`t have any other choices, which means not only having to appease Immigration but also the agencies that will become like another authority in their own right we have have to deal with.

How anyone can promote and believe that these agencies are a good deal and this is progress, beats me.

This past Thursday I was assisting a good friend from the States who just moved here on the 4th of May to get his retirement visa by riding with him as he went through the steps. First stop was U.S. Consulate (had an appointment) for his income statement, next I took him to immigration so he would know where it was when he goes to get in line to get his visa the next day. So while showing him the office we decided to save time and get his photos and copies done at the place behind the office. So he would have everything he needed to get in line the next day. (passport and copies, income statement, copies of his house lease and a filled out TM-87). It was 2:45 in the afternoon and on a whim he said I want to try to go in now and see if they will do it now. I said to him they most likely with laugh at you and tell you to come back at 6 AM to get in line. Well he went in and asked, to my surprise the guy at the center desk, looked over his papers and have him a a number. I looked at the board over the desk and saw his number was next. Within 30 minutes we were out of there with his retirement visa. Totally amazed. By the way, they said no need for health form or background check for people applying from within Thailand.

Good on you BarnicaleBob for helping a Newbie thru this confusing process. What your friend was doing was converting either his tourist visa or his visa-exempt status to a 90-day O visa using the TM-87 form. You're right -- they'll see you "wai-wai" (quick-quick)to do that piece of business. You're issued a number in a different queue than the one for people who show up with a TM-7 form -- for a visa extension. Please advise you friend that he's just had a little taste of what life is like at Chiang Mai Immigration. They go easy on newbies in the visa conversion process. He'll be treated just like us old-timers when he goes back in 60 days or so to obtain his retirement extension. He'd better show up before 6 am and be prepared to join the scrum with the unwashed masses jockeying for position at the front door. This is where he'll learn he'll learn if he's really cut out to be a Chiang Mai tough-guy retiree or if he runs whimpering to a visa agent, waving his thousand baht notes.

It is exactly 90 days from now that i must renew my one year retirement visa. The online Q is full up from here to eternity. That means I'll just show up a day or so ahead and take my chances, OR...do as Mr. Folk Guitar did and use a service. I must say, it is tempting, but I'll probably just go in like I always have, and get it over with. It has become an annual pilgrimage.

I just want to say I appreciate FG giving us this information. I certainly didn't know that one could do this, although I did know about the yearly signup for having a service do your 90 day reports. That doesn't seem all that worthwhile, since you still have to drop off and pick up your passport at the agency. That would take more time than showing up on an afternoon, where the in and out has never taken me more than one hour.

4 slots available on 9th September at time of writing.

• Like 1

This past Thursday I was assisting a good friend from the States who just moved here on the 4th of May to get his retirement visa by riding with him as he went through the steps. First stop was U.S. Consulate (had an appointment) for his income statement, next I took him to immigration so he would know where it was when he goes to get in line to get his visa the next day. So while showing him the office we decided to save time and get his photos and copies done at the place behind the office. So he would have everything he needed to get in line the next day. (passport and copies, income statement, copies of his house lease and a filled out TM-87). It was 2:45 in the afternoon and on a whim he said I want to try to go in now and see if they will do it now. I said to him they most likely with laugh at you and tell you to come back at 6 AM to get in line. Well he went in and asked, to my surprise the guy at the center desk, looked over his papers and have him a a number. I looked at the board over the desk and saw his number was next. Within 30 minutes we were out of there with his retirement visa. Totally amazed. By the way, they said no need for health form or background check for people applying from within Thailand.

Good on you BarnicaleBob for helping a Newbie thru this confusing process. What your friend was doing was converting either his tourist visa or his visa-exempt status to a 90-day O visa using the TM-87 form. You're right -- they'll see you "wai-wai" (quick-quick)to do that piece of business. You're issued a number in a different queue than the one for people who show up with a TM-7 form -- for a visa extension. Please advise you friend that he's just had a little taste of what life is like at Chiang Mai Immigration. They go easy on newbies in the visa conversion process. He'll be treated just like us old-timers when he goes back in 60 days or so to obtain his retirement extension. He'd better show up before 6 am and be prepared to join the scrum with the unwashed masses jockeying for position at the front door. This is where he'll learn he'll learn if he's really cut out to be a Chiang Mai tough-guy retiree or if he runs whimpering to a visa agent, waving his thousand baht notes.

NancyL,

How long does one have to be here before they become an "old-timer" ?

I know it can be a pain in the "ask" to get a visa extension "once a year" whether it is trying to get an online booking or arriving in person early in the morning.

I can also understand it if someone wants the convenience of an agent to do most of their wait time but just like another poster stated, I feel using an agent is encouraging the corruption mentality that is pervasive here.

For example, I reluctantly pay 500B (tea money) for a certificate of residency which is supposed to be free rather than paying $50US at my consulate. There choice is clear fro me but with the extension I can do it myself. I know for me I have opted to get an appointment online but if I had to I would arrive at immigration bright and early with my notebook and earplugs and wait patiently. First, the agency cannot get my income letter from my consulate so no time savings there. I assume most people would have to make 2 trips to the agency or 1 trip to the agency and 1 to immigration. That time should be deducted from your do it yourself Immigration wait time. Finally, if I have to spend 8 hours at immigrations, I'd rather pay myself (5500B / 8) or almost 700B/hour than support corruption via the agency and immigration then take the 5500B savings and treat myself to a 2 to 4 expensive restaurant meals.

And BTW, I can afford to pay 10,000B for visa service but wouldn't.

Edited by vagabond48
  • Like 2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^now u are talking shorthand and off topic to your opening post,but never mind . mission accomplished,u got a plug in for your agency

I know it can be a pain in the "ask" to get a visa extension "once a year" whether it is trying to get an online booking or arriving in person early in the morning.

I can also understand it if someone wants the convenience of an agent to do most of their wait time but just like another poster stated, I feel using an agent is encouraging the corruption mentality that is pervasive here.

For example, I reluctantly pay 500B (tea money) for a certificate of residency which is supposed to be free rather than paying $50US at my consulate. There choice is clear fro me but with the extension I can do it myself. I know for me I have opted to get an appointment online but if I had to I would arrive at immigration bright and early with my notebook and earplugs and wait patiently. First, the agency cannot get my income letter from my consulate so no time savings there. I assume most people would have to make 2 trips to the agency or 1 trip to the agency and 1 to immigration. That time should be deducted from your do it yourself Immigration wait time. Finally, if I have to spend 8 hours at immigrations, I'd rather pay myself (5500B / 8) or almost 700B/hour than support corruption via the agency and immigration then take the 5500B savings and treat myself to a 2 to 4 expensive restaurant meals.

Aren't you, then, supporting corruption by paying for your letter that you say is supposed to be free?

its not 10,000 and I personally hate visiting immigration and always feel 'uneasy' there and wasting my time too looking for parking etc. I use them for the 90 day primarily but for an extra 120 quid I'm surprised anyone thinks it's not worth it

pays ya money and takes ya choice

• Like 1

Just a thought? And I have no idea if this is correct.

But I am guessing the visa agencies have an "arrangement" with immigration for slots etc. Usually such such arrangements entail incentives?

If that is the case it could well be that General P and his white knights may well be looking in to things like this in the not too distant future with more sideways moves resulting?

Aren't you, then, supporting corruption by paying for your letter that you say is supposed to be free?

Wow, you are really sharp and of course I am sure you feel much better for pointing this out.

Must be a slow morning for you.

FedEx, UPS, and DHL all have 'arraignments' with Thai Customs, their own bonded Customs holding areas, etc., to handle collection of import duties for them so as to reduce the workload of the actual Customs agents and holding facilities. These are NOT illegal arraignments. They are contractual between a private company and the government for more efficient flow of goods. I'm sure someone is making a profit from this arraignment but I don't know who.

It strikes me as possible that the larger visa agencies also have some sort of legal arraignment with the government, or contractual agreement to aid the efficient flow of paperwork that Immigration needs to deal with.

Unfortunately, there probably isn't any way to find out for sure, but the possibility exists.

FedEx, UPS, and DHL all have 'arraignments' with Thai Customs, their own bonded Customs holding areas, etc., to handle collection of import duties for them so as to reduce the workload of the actual Customs agents and holding facilities. These are NOT illegal arraignments. They are contractual between a private company and the government for more efficient flow of goods. I'm sure someone is making a profit from this arraignment but I don't know who.

It strikes me as possible that the larger visa agencies also have some sort of legal arraignment with the government, or contractual agreement to aid the efficient flow of paperwork that Immigration needs to deal with.

Unfortunately, there probably isn't any way to find out for sure, but the possibility exists.

Its an ¨arrangement¨... not an ¨arraignment¨. I want to appear pedantic and nor am I an English teacher but an arraignment is a formal reading of a criminal charging document in the presence of the defendant to inform the defendant of the charges against him or her.

Quite a bit different from an arrangement. Although in hindsight, when dealing with some of these agencies it may feel like an arraignment!

Ok its Sunday..... enjoy whats left of the weekend wai2.gif

• Like 1

Its an ¨arrangement¨... not an ¨arraignment¨. I want to appear pedantic and nor am I an English teacher but an arraignment is a formal reading of a criminal charging document in the presence of the defendant to inform the defendant of the charges against him or her.

Quite a bit different from an arrangement. Although in hindsight, when dealing with some of these agencies it may feel like an arraignment!

Dammed Auto-correct! cheesy.gif

But glad to see that as a ThaiVisa member, you read for content rather than just looking for things to complain about. whistling.gif

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

FolkGuitar,

I thought you were just being sarcastic.

But then I am told (not by you) that I am sharp and on a slow morning.... Must make me feel better.

Edited by hml367

Were you a lawyer in another lifetime?

Regarding the online system which of course is free, it seems strange that no one including myself has gone online after 12 midnight and found loads of slots open. After all, it does take a minute to fill up the appointment request which remain open until you press the submit key so there should be a reasonable amount of slots available at the beginning. Perhaps either agents or even Immigration "reserve" a majority of the slots either before or as soon as they are available.

The lack of open slots certainly would increase the demand for these visa assist agencies but to quote you "Unfortunately, there probably isn't any way to find out for sure, but the possibility exists."

Or move from a tourist/expat ghetto city/resort? [No wait or 10 minute wait at Sisaket immigration if you go in the PM].

Cue a hail of anti-backwoods comments tongue.png

• Like 2

Dammed Auto-correct! cheesy.gif

But glad to see that as a ThaiVisa member, you read for content rather than just looking for things to complain about. whistling.gif

Auto-correct is my worst enema.

• Like 2

Or move from a tourist/expat ghetto city/resort? [No wait or 10 minute wait at Sisaket immigration if you go in the PM].

Cue a hail of anti-backwoods comments tongue.png

10 minuet wait at Sisaket immigration ? I would top myself.biggrin.png Only 5 minutes at Kap Choeng Immiatgration that's for the yearly. w00t.gif The 90 day report is 2 minutes, clap2.gif computerized.thumbsup.gif

I'm wondering how it might go if I went in the afternoon a couple of days ahead of my ultimate day to file the one year retirement extension, to get an appointment, for the next day. Anybody use this strategy successfully?

Standing in that line from 6 AM is an ordeal that I can't face again. Shifting from foot to foot, feeling the heat rise, watching people use various little tricks to cut in...The worst part of all for me is to have to listen to some loudmouth blabbing away (usually one of my US compatriots, alas) before a captive audience about their various fascinating experiences here in the Mystic East. They are always the hero in their own narrative. Like listening to Joseph Conrad, come back to life. (Well, not quite.)

I must say, using an agent is an appealing idea.

• Like 2