Bike Trips Around Pattaya/Chonburi area

irishtoffy

I have been trying to find some info about areas in the vicinity of Pattaya/Chonburi/Chanthaburi/Sa Kaew areas for a nice motorbike ride.

There's lots of info for up north area, just doesn't seem to be much for down this area that I can find anyway.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Any routes info?

What is the road condition like?

Is it twisty?

Forested cover or rice field country?

Mountains? Flat terrain?

Heavy traffic?

I am hoping for somewhere with a decent condition and not too much traffic.

Or if anyone has any good websites?

I am open to all info posted though, as I have zero experience at all with this area of the country and it's roads.

The length of time of the trip is not an issue. Ideally I'd discover some 1 day rides and other weekend/long weekend length rides.

Starting from the Pattaya area if that is relevant, and also would prefer to spend as little time on that crazy Sukhumvit as possible!

Thanks

A nice place to visit is the Silverlake, beautiful hilly area.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293919-d669528-Reviews-Silverlake-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

It's difficult to avoid Sukhumvit road if going out for a trip from Pattaya, many beautiful places south of here on each side of Sukhumvit road.

We often go there in our truck and then drive in the area and then take small roads leading down to the beaches and see where we ends up.

You can also cross the dreaded Sukhumvit and then explore over on the "dark-side" or east side of Pattaya, the further away from Sukhumvit the less traffic/people.

Today we will drive down towards Sattahip and see if we can get into the Navy base beach or we might have to go further south, we will see where we ends up, he-he.

It's best just driving around and see where you ends up, check trip adviser and other places to go but not so many nice bike roads as up North in the Chang Mai/Rai area, sadly.

Which type of bike are you riding? I read about a Chap here on ThaiVisa that have go Pattaya/Chang Mai and back via Bangkok on a modest Honda Wave, so if you have the skills and nerves you can go anywhere you like.

Good luck and ride carefully.

I would suggest just driving south from Pattaya along Sukhumvit and as guzzi850 suggested take the road towards Silverlake. Take a GPS device with you and just drive around, the roads are reasonable and you can go as far as you like without getting lost. Ban Chang has a number of bars for refreshment etc if you should venture that way.

• Like 1

Yes I have been up towards Silver lake before..its the nicest area I found yet around here.

I have been told Chanthaburi province has a terrain much like that of CM/CR. With lots of forest cover/mountains/waterfalls.

I haven't been able to venture over there yet..doesn't seem to be much written about the area on the net anyway.

A nice place to visit is the Silverlake, beautiful hilly area.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293919-d669528-Reviews-Silverlake-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

It's difficult to avoid Sukhumvit road if going out for a trip from Pattaya, many beautiful places south of here on each side of Sukhumvit road.

We often go there in our truck and then drive in the area and then take small roads leading down to the beaches and see where we ends up.

You can also cross the dreaded Sukhumvit and then explore over on the "dark-side" or east side of Pattaya, the further away from Sukhumvit the less traffic/people.

Today we will drive down towards Sattahip and see if we can get into the Navy base beach or we might have to go further south, we will see where we ends up, he-he.

It's best just driving around and see where you ends up, check trip adviser and other places to go but not so many nice bike roads as up North in the Chang Mai/Rai area, sadly.

Which type of bike are you riding? I read about a Chap here on ThaiVisa that have go Pattaya/Chang Mai and back via Bangkok on a modest Honda Wave, so if you have the skills and nerves you can go anywhere you like.

Good luck and ride carefully.

What about 'in-country'? Away from the coast and Sukhumvit towards Poi Pet/Aranyaprahet/Chanthaburi/Sa Kaew?

I am so bored with Sukhumvit..it's not a bike riding road..a death trap!

I would suggest just driving south from Pattaya along Sukhumvit and as guzzi850 suggested take the road towards Silverlake. Take a GPS device with you and just drive around, the roads are reasonable and you can go as far as you like without getting lost. Ban Chang has a number of bars for refreshment etc if you should venture that way.

Yes Chanthaburi province is very nice but a bit far away if you are on a small bike, plan for a night or 2 in a hotel if going there.

We have been twice to visit Buddha footprint that is located app 1000 meters up in the mountains. You have to take licensed pick-up trucks twice up the gravel road on the mountain and then walk the rest of the way.

This place is very important to Thais and are only open app. 2 month per year as it located inside a National Park and they want to protect the wild life. I think it's open in March/April months.

Hardly any tourists there from overseas, highly recommended.

We were is Sattahip today, found a nice cafe next to the beach in the town, very nice, 30 km from Pattaya but on Sukhumvit all the way.

For a two day trip, over the back of Map-pra-chan lake and join the 331 north towards Chachoensao, then 304 the Korat, back the following day and some nice riding on the 304, twisting hills etc.

I have not long returned from a 4774km ride, to Kanchanaburi, Mae Sot, Mae Hong Song, Mae Sai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Nan, Chiang Khan, Nong Khai and back, i did this on a Honda PCX 150cc and mainly kept off of major roads and it was a trip of a life time.

I just took a map and clothing, stopped when tired and rode from between 200km too 630 in a day. I would say make sure you are comfortable on whatever bike you ride.

I can give you some of the routes if you are interested

Some photo;s, not clear due to hazy weather at flickr.com "chris sables"

• Like 1

"For a two day trip, over the back of Map-pra-chan lake and join the 331 north towards Chachoensao, then 304 the Korat, back the following day and some nice riding on the 304, twisting hills etc."

I would certainly concur with this, albeit we do it in a car when visiting my wife's family. Best to leave at first light as traffic is very light. A pleasant 4 hour(ish) journey to Korat, stop for brunch / lunch in 'The Mall', central Korat, then carry on to Khon Kaen or a myriad of other places from there. Roads in very reasonable condition and as soon as you leave the Pattaya / Chonburi area the stupid, crazy drivers seem to disappear.

Good luck

"For a two day trip, over the back of Map-pra-chan lake and join the 331 north towards Chachoensao, then 304 the Korat, back the following day and some nice riding on the 304, twisting hills etc."

I would certainly concur with this, albeit we do it in a car when visiting my wife's family. Best to leave at first light as traffic is very light. A pleasant 4 hour(ish) journey to Korat, stop for brunch / lunch in 'The Mall', central Korat, then carry on to Khon Kaen or a myriad of other places from there. Roads in very reasonable condition and as soon as you leave the Pattaya / Chonburi area the stupid, crazy drivers seem to disappear.

Good luck

Yes! Leave at daybreak, and a nice pleasant ride or drive!

5 of us on bikes rode from Pattaya to Ao Thammashat ( Ferry to Koh Chang) spent 3 nights on Koh Chang with our bikes, then rode back to Pattaya. Just fantastic. Mostly there were big bikes but mine was a Honda Click F1 125 cc. Even these runabout Bikes from Honda are very strong, robust and versatile and can do long trips like this averaging 80-90 Kph which is plenty fast enough. Bikes are welcome on the Ferries and the charges are very small. Its a 5 hour trip to the Ferry if you stop twice to take in some rest and refreshment. Definitely would recommend that trip during the reliably drier weather ( November to March).

Lots of nice rides out east of Pattaya, lots of nice countryside. One of the simplest and closest is to head out Soi Siam Country Club and have a loop around the lake. Stop for some refreshment at one of the bars and eateries along the lakeside.

When I go to Buddah Mountain, Silverlake or even Ban Chang, I don't go on Suckonit Rd at all. Lots of fun back roads to get there on.

For a two day trip, over the back of Map-pra-chan lake and join the 331 north towards Chachoensao, then 304 the Korat, back the following day and some nice riding on the 304, twisting hills etc.

I have not long returned from a 4774km ride, to Kanchanaburi, Mae Sot, Mae Hong Song, Mae Sai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Nan, Chiang Khan, Nong Khai and back, i did this on a Honda PCX 150cc and mainly kept off of major roads and it was a trip of a life time.

I just took a map and clothing, stopped when tired and rode from between 200km too 630 in a day. I would say make sure you are comfortable on whatever bike you ride.

Chris good on ya..did the Pattaya trip to Kanchanburi to get away from Songkran, then north. Erawan falls and national parks..great stuff, thou recomend a Thai lady to help if you get stranded. Yes a good GPS is esential ...I am debating either Google maps or Tom Tom Asia edition...Garmin..well reviews so so..not sure the app Tom Tom for Iphone Can be readable on small screen.

Give you credit on your PCX on traveling...I do have a PCX but would find it a little under power with two people..thou one would be ok..guess. Have you ever driven a Forza..if not give it a try, the extra torque is nearly double that of the PCX...great Hi-way bike, coming back from Kanchanburi and points north, decided to go through BKK..crazy stuff, thou I do ride a lot here in Canada, where Canada is pretty easy..so battle on road and kinda like the battle, keeps one awake and focused on driving. I am in Canada now till end of Sept and looking forward to some travels..with you? or group so lets keep in touch...will see what GPS go for in the good old USA...Keep well Ron

post-27018-0-96137500-1401627216_thumb.j

post-27018-0-38723900-1401627407_thumb.j

Edited by Rimmer
Please DO NOT post in non standard fonts thank you

South down Sukhumvit to the silver lake vineyard. Follow all those back roads that take you to Ban Chang. The 331 and the 332 are pretty good biking roads. Long stretched out curves where you can really get the hammer down and plenty of hilly twisties. Get to Phala beach and follow the road south along to Phayoon beach and beyond. That road is awesome with lots of hills, dips and a few long straights. That road takes you right into Rayong city centre and back on Sukhumvit. You can either turn around and go back the same way or head down Sukhumvit to Ban Chang and stop off at the Ban Chang strip for a light refreshment. The bars in Ban Chang are the 2nd traffic lights after the main intersection in the town. Kasikorn on your right, then turn right at those lights. Theres a street thats full of bars, I've heard its been called a mini Soi 6 Pattaya but its not as extreme as that lol

Thanks some great info!

I have a big bike, so ideally looking for trips in the vicinity of Chonburi. Staying overnight is not a problem if necessary, and if it is a good ride.

More than willing to venture over to Chanthaburi and put in the extra time to get a decent ride and away from the highways and see some nice forest cover and mountains.

I actually live out at Maprachan Lake, I was hoping there might be a decent ride out towards the back of Soi Siam Country Club, after connecting to the highway out the back towards Bira. I will have to have a look on the map to figure out some of these routes.

I did my dues touring Isaan and up north. We started and ended in CM when I lived there. Went down to Phitsanulok, along the Laos border at Udon/Nong Khai. Then down to KK/Ubon/Surin/Buriram/Korat/Kanchanaburi. Was an amazing trip, we stayed off all the main roads on the map. Found some stunning roads out in the fields of Isaan. they looked like very minor roads on the map, but we asked locals if they were ok, and all of them turned out to be batter paved than the A roads. Plus hardly any traffic at all. Only thing to look out for was swooping birds across the road which was quite dangerous because they would take you out if hit on the head. I caught 2 on my leg and both hurt and the bird was left on the tarmac according to my mate following!

Chris good on ya..did the Pattaya trip to Kanchanburi to get away from Songkran, then north. Erawan falls and national parks..great stuff, thou recomend a Thai lady to help if you get stranded. Yes a good GPS is esential ...I am debating either Google maps or Tom Tom Asia edition...Garmin..well reviews so so..not sure the app Tom Tom for Iphone Can be readable on small screen.

Give you credit on your PCX on traveling...I do have a PCX but would find it a little under power with two people..thou one would be ok..guess. Have you ever driven a Forza..if not give it a try, the extra torque is nearly double that of the PCX...great Hi-way bike, coming back from Kanchanburi and points north, decided to go through BKK..crazy stuff, thou I do ride a lot here in Canada, where Canada is pretty easy..so battle on road and kinda like the battle, keeps one awake and focused on driving. I am in Canada now till end of Sept and looking forward to some travels..with you? or group so lets keep in touch...will see what GPS go for in the good old USA...Keep well Ron

Hi Ron, i actually did the trip alone and with no GPS, good for trying out my Thai when lost and a bit frustrating when tired at the end of the day and trying to find a cheap room for the night, but that was part of the fun of the trip!

When i left Nan my was to follow the Lao border as much as possible and nearly came unstuck. The 1168 goes to Mae Charim becomes 1243 and there about 15km of bad road turning into tracks that are so bad a heavier bike maybe would not have been able to get through. Sure no cars! Eventually the road comes to Sri Nan Park station and soon the road improves. At the Park station they were so surprised they came out to take my photograph! The road is being updated but anyone wanting some exciting riding i can say give it a go!

Sure when you are back here we should meet and arrange some riding together.

Very good suggestion. You will enjoy this area. For a large part of the way you can use the Bypass Road just east of Sukumvit which is easier. It runs parallel to Sukumvit. The nice thing about Sukumvit is that there are no Soi dogs in the streets, nor car doors opening up in front of you.

You will enjoy motorbike rides here, if you like to explore. Plenty to do and see at every turn, on the east side. Great people at every stop.

• 1 month later...