Celeron Vs Pentium 4

dive_mistress

I just noticed that my actual intel processor (?) is a mobile intel celeron 2.4ghz.

However the sticker on my crap Compaq pressario says intel 4. What is the difference?

Who dupped me? I looked up the modified date of the driver and it was dated before i bought the computer. How can I find out if it was changed?

Its been serviced 2 x for HD problems, here and in Australia.

Im not very saavy when it comes to hardware..and after over 2 years just noticed the descrepency.......

Well, if you've paid for Pentium 4 and got a Celeron you've paid something like 1000-2000 bath too much. If you have the means to compare you'd notice a difference in the speed of the things you're doing, but for most of the things a "normal" user do, you wouldn't know without those means to compare.

Some heavy-duty games don't run on a Celeron, though.

The processer has nothing to do with the problems you've had with the HD.

I just noticed that my actual intel processor (?) is a mobile intel celeron 2.4ghz.

However the sticker on my crap Compaq pressario says intel 4. What is the difference?

The Differences:

* Core - The Celeron chip is based on a Pentium 4 core.

* Cache - Celeron chips have less cache memory than Pentium 4 chips do. A Celeron might have 128 kilobytes of L2 cache, while a Pentium 4 can have four times that. The amount of L2 cache memory can have a big effect on performance.

* Clock speed - Intel manufactures the Pentium 4 chips to run at a higher clock speed than Celeron chips. The fastest Pentium 4 might be 60 percent faster than the fastest Celeron.

* Bus speed - There are differences in the maximum bus speeds that the processors allow. Pentium 4s tend to be about 30 percent faster than Celerons.

When you sort all this out and compare the two chips side by side, it turns out that a Celeron and a Pentium 4 chip running at the same speed are different beasts. The smaller L2 cache size and slower bus speeds can mean serious performance differences depending on what you want to do with your computer. If all you do is check e-mail and browse the Web, the Celeron is fine, and the price difference can save you a lot of money.

Would these two processors actually even fit the same motherboard?

A Thai neighbour brought his pc over for me to fix and I was telling him about most of the hardware that needed upgrading. He showed me his original purchase receipt and the hardware listed on there had been replaced after the pc box had spent 6 months in a local repair shop.

I knew it! How can i find out when the processor was installed??????? (the inferior celeron that is?).

I found the driver but I dont think the "modified date" is the date that somone installed it to replace my better intel 4.

Bastards. :o Its been serviced by 3 different shops and I want to narrow it down!!!!!!!! So i need the date., COuld have been in Australia, or Phuket Town or Kata.

Thanks for all the info here!!!

Have you had an operating system change along the way ? If not I would think it unlikely that someone has switched processors on you. Someone may correct me, but my understanding is that you can't change processor type without changing or at least re-installing the operating system. The HAL in the OS is the interface between the OS and the hardware. If you change the CPU you have to change the HAL. This can be problematic. So, if I were trying to rip you off, this is not the scam I would choose.

Edited by Hmmm

When comparing processors for laptop's it can get a bit more difficult!

Most laptop cpu's (indicated by the extra M) run at a slower frequency, and this is mainly compensated for by integrating bigger cache memory.

Reason is the lower power consumtion by running at a lower speed.

Basically the "M" processors are much more efficient then their desktop counterparts.

Have you had an operating system change along the way ? If not I would think it unlikely that someone has switched processors on you. Someone may correct me, but my understanding is that you can't change processor type without changing or at least re-installing the operating system. The HAL in the OS is the interface between the OS and the hardware. If you change the CPU you have to change the HAL. This can be problematic. So, if I were trying to rip you off, this is not the scam I would choose.

Well when the hard drives have been replaced windows xp os got upgraded to XP PRO...

So since the hard drive was replaced the os was reinstalled.

I think I remember during boot up it said pentium 4, and all of a sudden I noticed it said celeron. The sticker on my laptop says pentiu 4. I just want to know how i can find out the date that the celeron or any processor was installed?

At this point I am pretty sure it has been changed. Funny recently my work had a printer problem and the cartridges came back empty from the same place. I hope it is not them because before all this I was quite happy with the shop. This is why I would like to know which shop=which date.

Sure appreciate all the feedback though. :o

My 3 ghz Pentium 4 processor died. The local shop didn't have one and their supplier didn't either. I convinced them that I really didn't need an identical chip. They did have a 2.66 ghz Celeron in stock. It fit the motherboard fine and to tell the truth, I can't tell any difference. The most power I need is with a photo editor and I can't tell any difference when manipulating photos either. I think most of the speed comes from the gig of RAM and the SATA hard drive.

It really seems to me that you've been ripped off by a very indelicate technician.

Celerons are very significantly slower, although this may not be that much noticeable when doing ordinary office work.

It does show up in e.g. games though.

One of my former notebooks had a 2.6Ghz Celeron desktop CPU. I've replaced it by a 2.4 Ghz P4 and all benchmarks as well as my observation revealed a significant performance gain.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to find out when the CPU switch has taken place from the Windows event log.

Switching CPUs between P4 and Celeron requires no Windows tweaking or even less reinstallation.

The HAL layer is the same for all single-core CPUs AFAIK.

Note about the 'M' processors: few people know that the Pentium M chips have a core that is an evolution of the Pentium III core! The Intel folks found out that the PIII design was a much better base to develop a low-power chip for notebooks than the P4. It's been improved to the point that it delivers almost the same performance as P4s at a lower clock speed, with a much lower power consumption and with a dice that resists temperatures almost up to 100C!

--Lannig

It really seems to me that you've been ripped off by a very indelicate technician.

Celerons are very significantly slower, although this may not be that much noticeable when doing ordinary office work.

One of my former notebooks had a 2.6Ghz Celeron desktop CPU. I've replaced it by a 2.4 Ghz P4 and all benchmarks as well as my observation revealed a significant performance gain.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to find out when the CPU switch has taken place from the Windows event log.

Switching CPUs between P4 and Celeron requires no Windows tweaking or even less reinstallation.

--Lannig

So there is no driver installation record or log that will just show the date of the swtich????????

I saw someone use a program called avalance or something similar.........

I really want to know which shop it happened at as I was patronizing one in particular a lot.

Iguess its a lesson and am just that much more saavy for it.

--Lannig

So there is no driver installation record or log that will just show the date of the swtich????????

Not as far as I know. The Windows event log does not record the CPU type when logging the start-up event.

The registry does have this information for the current configuration in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER

and the former ones in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet00x\...

but I couldn't find any timestamp in there.

I saw someone use a program called avalance or something similar.........

Don't know this program, but I doubt it can keep track of this unless you had it running before the swap tool place.

I really want to know which shop it happened at as I was patronizing one in particular a lot.

Iguess its a lesson and am just that much more saavy for it.

I sympathize... been totally ripped off for a 2nd hand mobile phone a few days ago. Shop moved away within days I bought it (and it failed, of course).

--Lannig