How accurate is the unemployment rate in Thailand

WilliamCave

I here on TV and other areas that the unemployment rate in Thailand is low.

I see many small business with the whole family sitting around in the little stores doing nothing all living on the little income from th store.

How many people are not working that I know of are many .

Like I also read how many students won't find work .

So my question is how accurate is the unemployment rate ?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When there are no unemployment offices to register at, then it must be guesswork. Because I cannot see how the authorities can possibly know.

It is just numbers plucked pull a out of the air.

Like you, I see many people who want to work but cannot find jobs.

However If they wish to leave their young children and work 4 or more hours away, work can be found but then by the time they pay for acommadation, food etc

there is not a lot left to send back to feed, clothe, and pay school fees for the children.

If you want a decent job in Thailand a lot depends on who you know and how much clout they have, often a good education is not enough.

• Like 1

Whatever figures are quoted, add on another 2-300,000 to for the monks.

Why would you do that? Monks perform a service and get paid for it. Hairdressers make hairstyles and get paid for it. What is the difference both things only make the person giving the money feel good and have nothing do do with reality.

When there are no unemployment offices to register at, then it must be guesswork. Because I cannot see how the authorities can possibly know.

It is just numbers plucked pull a out of the air.

Like you, I see many people who want to work but cannot find jobs.

However If they wish to leave their young children and work 4 or more hours away, work can be found but then by the time they pay for acommadation, food etc

there is not a lot left to send back to feed, clothe, and pay school fees for the children.

If you want a decent job in Thailand a lot depends on who you know and how much clout they have, often a good education is not enough.

Did you go to the IMF or the Bank of Thailand or the Thai National statistics office?

Does your example also apply to doctors and airplane pilots?

Summary of the labor force survey in Thailand : February 2014 The results of Labor Force Survey in February 2014 showed .......

The Thai rate of unemployment is quite low. The statistics are accepted by every financial organization in the world as evidenced by Thailand's financial rating. There are millions of Burmese and Khmer and other nationalities in the country to do jobs that Thais don't want to do. For the rest it's just another Thai bashing thread ho hum.

Unemployment:

UK, Labor Market Statistics. 6.8%.

US. Department of Labor 6.3%.

Germany,Eurostat 5.1%.

Thailand,National Statistic office of Thailand 0.56%

get real mate,,

we all know its made up,

how do they get these figours??????

A filter developed at the IMF and used widely
by country desks is applied to Thailand. It uses
quarterly observations on seasonally adjusted re
al GDP, core inflation (quarter-on-quarter), the
unemployment rate and the rate of capacity utilization in manufacturing. The parameters are estimated using Bayesian techniques. Given that the Thai economy underwent considerable structural transformation (including the introduction of inflation targeting) after the Asian crisis, the estimation period runs from 2000Q1 to 2013Q2

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2013/cr13323.pdf

http://www.imf.org/external/

http://web.nso.go.th/

All of the information you requested is above. If you don't want to look it up, as I suspect you only want to rant about things you don't understand, then don't blame me.

• Like 1

It is not accurate at all. The vast majority of Thai workers are grey market workers that are completely unregistered and the government has no idea what their job is, how much they make, their employment status, or even where they really live.

Only about 1/4th of Thai workers are registered, and it is only these workers that they have numbers for.

You didn't read the links I posted. But if you want to bumble along in ignorance feel free.

Do you really think the IMF and Moodys and Fitch and S&P's would be as easily bamboozled as you fellows?

But don't expect me to spoon feed you the information. I posted the links so you can read them the same as I did.

Edited by thailiketoo

I doubt there is one single answer to the OP's question without bounding the actual question?

Given a certain published unemployment figure, how accurate might that be?

I guess you could express it in a percentage, with a +/- to reflect an acceptable range?

Note that many people are employed at a rate which is below the minimum threshold to pay income tax. Just because someone is not paying an income tax does not mean that they are unemployed.

TDRI has some research/publications, including this overview of the labor market here, published this past week.

http://tdri.or.th/en/tdri-insight/looking-beyond-today-the-future-of-thai-labor-in-2014-when-economy-is-bad-and-politics-is-worsened/

Looking Beyond Today: The future of Thai labor in 2014 when economy is bad and politics is worsened
Release 2014-05-28
Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI)
TDRI Director of Labor Development looked beyond the here and now to warn laborers on the effects from economic problems and the prolonged political crisis while unemployment among university graduates may continually rise.
The prolonged and unresolved political situation has increasingly driven the other problems in the Thai society, which deserve to be solved, to a desolate corner, especially the directly and the indirectly affected troubles of the Thai laborers.
Dr. Yongyuth Chalamwong, Research Director for Labor Development, Thailand Development Research Institute or TDRI, said that the unimproved economy due to several factors deriving from export, domestic consumption and the government’s expenditure during its transitory period is expected to slow down the economic growth in the first quarter and may gradually recover in the second, third and fourth quarters.
The macroeconomist continued that if the political problems are quickly resolved, the spillover effects will not be so severe since Thailand still enjoys a low unemployment rate while the labor market structure focuses on the lower level which mainly uses foreign workers for skilled labor. The labor market fluctuation is likely to absorb the unemployment of the lower level whereas the middle level labor still lacks technicians.
Edited by lomatopo

but i will say one thing,

i dont understand all your figours,

but what i do know is ive lived here a long time and seen more not working then working!

so the girls in the bars, thousands of them are all paying tax and working?

there must be 50% in our village that dont work,,

Read the links and you will find out how those people are accounted for. Again, unless the IMF calls you up to ask your opinion I guess they trust their sources more than you. Although you don't know what those sources are because you are too lazy to read what I posted.

The IMF holds 90.5 million onces of gold. Do you really think you are smarter then the people who work there and figure Thai economic statistics?

now were in any of my posts did i say i was smarter then them,,????

your the ones who very smart, and i bow to your knowledge,, in all things in this world

have a good day

You said the less than 1% unemployment is not true because of your anecdotal evidence.

That means to me you think you are correct and the IMF is wrong.

That means to me you think you are smarter than the IMF.

Read the links I gave you and you will understand how Thailand and the IMF comes up with the employment numbers. If you want to continue not to know, up to you but don't call them wrong unless you understand where they get their numbers from. Who knows you might agree with them.

Do you really think the IMF and Moody's and Fitch and S&P's would be as easily bamboozled as you fellows? Well, maybe on occasion.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch March 12, 2008, 8:12 p.m. EDT ) -- Moody's Investors Service and Standard & Poor's stuck with their AAA ratings on Ambac Financial's bond insurance units late Wednesday after the company successfully raised $1.5 billion selling new stock and equity units.

Ambac missed an interest payment on its debt on November 1, 2010 and filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on November 8, 2010.

• Like 2

To be counted as unemployed, you need to be actively looking for work. If you have not actively looked for work or are not currently employed, then you are not in the labor force and do not count towards the unemployment rate. I am not sure about how monks are counted. Either they are counted as employed or they are not considered to be part of the labor force. They are not unemployed.

I think that what the OP is really asking about is what is the labor force participation rate in Thailand. That is what percentage of the adult population is either employed or actively looking for work? Farm owners and farm workers will be included. The World Bank gives it at 72% for Thailand. The US and UK rates are about 63%.

Edited by Pacificperson
  • Like 2

To be counted as unemployed, you need to be actively looking for work. If you have not actively looked for work or are not currently employed, then you are not in the labor force and do not count towards the unemployment rate. I am not sure about how monks are counted. Either they are counted as employed or they are not considered to be part of the labor force. They are not unemployed.

I think that what the OP is really asking about is what is the labor force participation rate in Thailand. That is what percentage of the adult population is either employed or actively looking for work? Farm owners and farm workers will be included. The World Bank gives it at 72% for Thailand. The US and UK rates are about 63%.

The 2012 Labor Force Survey showed that there

were 54.32 million people, aged 15 years and over,

of these, 38.73 million were in the labor force

(38.01 million were employed, 0.28 million were

unemployed and 0.44 million were seasonally

inactive labor force) and 15.59 million persons were

Not in the labor force.

Comparing the number of unemployment by

region with the same period of last year, it showed

that the number of unemployed persons of most

regions decreased, in the South decreased by 23

thousand persons, Bangkok by 10 thousand persons,

the North by 9 thousand persons and the

smallest number was in the Central by 2

thousand.

http://web.nso.go.th/en/survey/data_survey/560109_lfs1.pdf

Methods.

http://web.nso.go.th/en/kno.htm

Edited by thailiketoo

Protagonists will never accept any numbers unless they are recorded by the unemployment office when the unemployed person first signs onto collect benefits, that's how the stats are recorded, apparently!

Is this is Kansas? Nope!

• Like 1

Protagonists will never accept any numbers unless they are recorded by the unemployment office when the unemployed person first signs onto collect benefits, that's how the stats are recorded, apparently!

Is this is Kansas? Nope!

Funny but that's not how it's done in the UK or USA or Thailand. They are all figured by survey. Wow,,,, News to everyone I guess.biggrin.png

UK Labor force survey.

USA the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country.

Thailand Labor force survey.