Old men, where in the world did all your money go

I'm 33 I worked in the west for 7 years before it became finacially oppressive and i couldn't save any more. At that point I asked the wife i was with at the time to work too, her response made it clear that i had married free loading closet gold digger.

We parted ways, she went on to the govt money.

I managed to squirrel away 2 million baht from my work in the west.

I am living in asia now, i calculate that i can continue living here for about 20 years before needing to get another job. I have found a really cheap place to live.

I have written a book, and am building websites, I suspect that before the 20 years of savings are used up, i will have figured out how to make money as a freelancer in those fields before i run out of money.

My quesion is this,

I often read stories of homeless farang begging on the streets, I just wonder what some of you older people did all your lives to not have any savings or have some kind of skills that you can sell into the market place.

It is becoming so clear to me the more i develope my human capital that there is a massive business network out there of skill labor i can use, i am using their skills a lot when i develop my projects.

I would like to hear some of your stories, comments, life advice and ill try to ignore the abuse i normally get here...

• Like 2

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what age will you be in twenty years? Nobody will want to employ a guy with your job description I guess. Do you have health insurance?

(EDIT) seeing the nice comment the OP just made, I am withdrawing most of the message I just posted.

Edited by cooked

So what age will you be in twenty years? Nobody will want to employ a guy with your job description I guess. Do you have health insurance?

(EDIT) seeing the nice comment the OP just made, I am withdrawing most of the message I just posted.

it is not going to take 20 years and I am not aiming at being an employee for any one

I managed to squirrel away 2 million baht from my work in the west.

I am living in asia now, i calculate that i can continue living here for about 20 years before needing to get another job.

The first thing you need to do is get a new calculator, because that's only 8300 baht per month.

+1

& + 33 baht per month!

Here's a piece of advice for the OP, if your primary concern is building and sustaining wealth, then don't get married. YMMV. thumbsup.gif

He can marry a wealthy hi-so Thai girl.

Yeah that's right, how could they resist him wink.png

OP, It's time to wake up, your plan whilst almost perfect doesn't take into account various things such as; healthcare, incidentals, visas, travel, airfares, inflation, taxes, replacement of equipment, clothing, common sense and so forth.

You've forgotten personal hygiene and bromodosis

dont hold all your cash in one place or in one currency or one form. diversify where you can. readjust when you see necessity but be aware of the costs of doing this.

Edited by 4dyg

I often read stories of homeless farang begging on the streets, I just wonder what some of you older people did all your lives to not have any savings or have some kind of skills that you can sell into the market place.

It would appear that you would like the homeless farangs to explain how they ended up homeless and begging in Thailand. Might be a better idea to find them and ask then directly.

If I was a homeless, begging farang, I doubt answering your questions on TV would be a high priority in my daily struggle to survive.

The older people here, will have enough, or more than enough, to live on.

Think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Here's a piece of advice for the OP, if your primary concern is building and sustaining wealth, then don't get married. YMMV. thumbsup.gif

He can marry a wealthy hi-so Thai girl.
Yeah that's right, how could they resist him ;)

OP, It's time to wake up, your plan whilst almost perfect doesn't take into account various things such as; healthcare, incidentals, visas, travel, airfares, inflation, taxes, replacement of equipment, clothing, common sense and so forth. Time to fly back home and see if your old boss will give you your old job of folding pamphlets back.

They really need to tighten conditions for Passports and visas. Poor Thailand, why do you attract so many winners.

I think OP should go back and continue to work in the west for at least another 15 years and try to save up for at least 20 million baht to have a chance to live a comfortable life in the southeast Asian country.
Som,

If he only has 2 mil baht after 7 years of work, he's only saving at the rate of just under 300k baht per year.

He's going to have to work a lot longer than 15 years to reach 20 million baht.

If the OP, invested his $60k and only obtained a fairly conservative nett return of 5% and never touched this money and saved a further $800 per month from his wages adding it to the investment, in about 25 years time he will almost have 20 million baht. At that time & at age almost 60, he could ALMOST (but maybe not) afford to return to Asia to live out the remaining 20-25 years of his life.

If he wants to live in Thailand from age 60 to the average death age, then he's probably going to need to have a lot more than 20 mil baht in year 2040, as the cost of sitting on the steps of 7/11 drinking long neck beers will increase significantly, as will everything else in the next 25 to 45 years.

Remember when you use to be able to buy a great school yard lunch with 5 baht ;)

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1