King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicating

webfact

King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicating

MADRID: -- King Juan Carlos of Spain has decided to abdicate, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has announced.

King Juan Carlos, who is 76, has ruled since 1975. His son Prince Felipe, 45, will take over the throne.

For much of his reign, Juan Carlos was seen as one of the world's most popular monarchs.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27662301

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-02

Spanish King Juan Carlos abdicates: PM

MADRID - Spain's 76-year-old King Juan Carlos will abdicate in favour of his son, Prince Felipe, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy announced Monday.

"His Majesty King Juan Carlos has just informed me of his desire to renounce the throne and begin the process of succession," Rajoy said.

The king’s abdication brings an end to a 39-year reign that ushered in democracy but ended in a string of scandals.
AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-02

A good King, and a respectable person.

I wish him and Queen Sofia, Long and Healthy life.

Do you not think that his unrelenting fondness for the finer things in life was a bit in bad taste while his country has been suffering so badly?

• Like 2

Do you not think that his unrelenting fondness for the finer things in life was a bit in bad taste while his country has been suffering so badly?

From Wikipedia:

He became King on 22 November 1975, two days after Franco's death, the first reigning monarch since 1931. Soon after enthronement, Juan Carlos introduced reforms to dismantle the Francoist regime and begin the Spanish transition to democracy. This led to the approval of the Spanish Constitution of 1978 in a referendum, which established a constitutional monarchy. Juan Carlos also played a major role in stopping the 1981 coup attempt.

This is what I read RuamRudy, as about his private life......he is not the first or the last........

From Wikipedia:

He became King on 22 November 1975, two days after Franco's death, the first reigning monarch since 1931. Soon after enthronement, Juan Carlos introduced reforms to dismantle the Francoist regime and begin the Spanish transition to democracy. This led to the approval of the Spanish Constitution of 1978 in a referendum, which established a constitutional monarchy. Juan Carlos also played a major role in stopping the 1981 coup attempt.

This is what I read RuamRudy, as about his private life......he is not the first or the last........

"The conservation group WWF in Spain has removed King Juan Carlos as its honorary president for going on an elephant hunting trip in Botswana."

being honorary president of the WWF and going to hunt elephants...what kind of mind would do that?

I bet Charles will be cutting out clippings from the papers tomorrow and leaving them at strategic locations where Mummy might find them.

biggrin.png

Her reply is well known "I have no intention of being Elizabeth the last." She'll die in service.

From Wikipedia:

"The conservation group WWF in Spain has removed King Juan Carlos as its honorary president for going on an elephant hunting trip in Botswana."

being honorary president of the WWF and going to hunt elephants...what kind of mind would do that?

They appointed him for their own reasons, such as to gain official kudos -- it's not like the King went to WWF and begged to be appointed as their honorary president. He would have accepted it along with dozens of other similar appointments. WWF gains much more from having a king as 'honorary president' than he does from the association.

Having said that, if elephant culls are necessary, then perhaps using them as tourist occasions is a bit tacky. Still, it helps to pay the bills.

I don't think so... other wise, what's the point of being a king if one can not indulge

in a king's style life? have you ever seen a reigning king who's poor?

I don't think so... other wise, what's the point of being a king if one can not indulge

in a king's style life? have you ever seen a reigning king who's poor?

Well, I am probably not the best person to judge because my opinion of monarchies is generally not positive, but with 1 in 4 Spaniards out of work, and more than half those of working age under 25 out of work, his failure to present a more austere face to the world is surely a huge misjudgement?