cheapest way to get to Australia

My wife and I are going to Oz around mid-July and intend to return mid August. We have time and are flexible about the mode of transport. But we are also looking at cheap options. Does anyone have any ideas? I did think about a train to Kuala Lumpur, and flying from there. But maybe there are cheaper budget airlines from BKK ? Thanks.

Try Scoot, Tiger Airways, jetStar and Air Asia. All of them are going through Singapore except Air Asia. They go as well through KL. You could try as well Thai Lion. Not sure if they are already operating via their Hub.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Try Scoot, Tiger Airways, jetStar and Air Asia. All of them are going through Singapore except Air Asia. They go as well through KL. You could try as well Thai Lion. Not sure if they are already operating via their Hub.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Check Scoot in terms of a range of days, both there and back, their fares can be quite different by just changing the dates by a day.

I recently checked because of a mooted trip Bkk to Sydney and return (actually never happened, meeting aborted) and discovered they also have Scoot Business Class (check the details on their site) and by adjusting by a day each way I discovered a return fare of 22,000Baht all up.

Must admit I've never used them.

What ever the destination is or what airline you chose, sadly TG is way out of the question

fare wise as they're asking almost double the money as anthers,

however, they have a 14 days trip promotion to Oz at a very good price, but you wouldn't know

it as TG are too busy/aloof or simply not interested in telling that to their customers....

not that type of courier lol but I have done several flights carrying legal document Once for a computer part All above board custom cleared and legal. Of course did have to cover tax on business class ticketand pay lugage fee for my bags but still great deal.

I have booked a and traveled at short notice (within 1 week) few tickets over the last few months, Qantas and Singapore Airlines, at the time the cheapest (including against AA and Scoot) I will have to be desperate to fly Scoot again.

Both To Brizy and Gold Coast was a viable option if the price was right. As much as I detest Qantas on so many levels, the trip was a please compared to the budget ones.

Thanks guys for all the info. We are still perfecting the walking on water routine, so maybe we'll do that next time. We are going to Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane starting in Sydney. I'll try the cheap Qantas deals first and post what happens. Thanks again.

Sydney is serviced by AirAsia and, by default, Brisbane, though landing on the Gold Coast, an hours drive away.

AirAsia, given their sale is cheap ATM ... plus Thai is good also with that special link.

Work your passage on a container ship. You'd be surprised how little work you actually have to do to get a free trip to Australia including free food and a free cabin, of course. I had to work less than 3 hours a day on one Norwegian ship. The food was plentiful and delicious (mixture of Scandinavian and Asian due to several chefs on board) and my cabin was comfortable and quiet. I even had very fast Wi-Fi by satellite. I'd suggest boarding a container ship in Singapore or Hong Kong. There are hundreds of ships that would happily allow you on board, as long as you comply with the visa rules of your port of disembarkation, of course. Ask permission first. Never consider stowing away as you could get yourselves into trouble.

Edited by Thainess

Work your passage on a container ship. You'd be surprised how little work you actually have to do to get a free trip to Australia including free food and a free cabin, of course. I had to work less than 3 hours a day on one Norwegian ship. The food was plentiful and delicious (mixture of Scandinavian and Asian due to several chefs on board) and my cabin was comfortable and quiet. I even had very fast Wi-Fi by satellite. I'd suggest boarding a container ship in Singapore or Hong Kong. There are hundreds of ships that would happily allow you on board, as long as you comply with the visa rules of your port of disembarkation, of course. Ask permission first. Never consider stowing away as you could get yourselves into trouble.

So without any experience working on a big ship, they will accept any volunteers that want to go with them ? I find this hard to believe.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

That all sounds great, but if you piss one of those tough as hell sailors off, God it's a long swim. wai2.gif

darwin to kupang indonesia is the shortest flight but it really isnt worth the hassle of going land/ship through indonesia if you dont want to go through. yes and it IS a big hassle with spanners throw in all the way. not sure of the flight cost but if you also add in indo visa to land/ship transport i dont think you are going to come in under the cost of cheap flight from thailand or malaysia.

international to exactly where you want to be was also cheaper than closest port (perth or darwin) then domestic flights but my info is nowhere near current. may also be able to get into broome now a days. dont really know..

Edited by 4dyg

Traveling to Australia is a pricey proposition -- the airfare alone could bust your budget, and the sheer length of the flight encourages most visitors to stretch their visit for well over a week (it'll take you that long just to get over the jet lag!). So how can you afford a two-week or longer journey to the Land Down Under?

It may not be as difficult as you think. We've put together 25 ways to help you save money on every aspect of your trip to Australia, including info on cheap eats, discount cards, fun freebies and more.So, I think every one should take the travel insurance.

Traveling to Australia is a pricey proposition -- the airfare alone could bust your budget, and the sheer length of the flight encourages most visitors to stretch their visit for well over a week (it'll take you that long just to get over the jet lag!). So how can you afford a two-week or longer journey to the Land Down Under?

It may not be as difficult as you think. We've put together 25 ways to help you save money on every aspect of your trip to Australia, including info on cheap eats, discount cards, fun freebies and more.So, I think every one should take the travel insurance.

Wot a load of rubbish.

The airfare, on a comparitive basis is relatively cheap.

As for 'jet lag', the time differnece is a measly 3 hours.

Your commericial "We've put together 25 ways to help you save money on every aspect of your trip to Australia, including info on cheap eats, discount cards, fun freebies and more." is not appreciated.

Scoot to Gold Coast or Sydney appear to be the best options going through Singapore.

I fly to/from Sydney often so Air Asia is usually the cheapest but you have to get to KL. AA have big sale at the moment, just booked return KL/Sydney for AUD 380 but that is for 2015 dates.

KL to Perth can be very cheap but not cheap to get from Perth to east coast.

Thanks guys for all the info. We are still perfecting the walking on water routine, so maybe we'll do that next time. We are going to Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane starting in Sydney. I'll try the cheap Qantas deals first and post what happens. Thanks again.

I was looking at Qantas in September. Bkk to Canberra return was about 15000 baht. It looks good but when taxes added was 31000 baht. Still ok

This has put me off Qantas when booking on internet:

Important Information

After you have completed your booking you will need to visit our office below within two working days for credit card and signature verification. Your ticket will be issued once your credit card has been sighted.

Bangkok Office

21st Floor, Charn Issara Tower I, 942/162 Rama 4 Road, Silom, Bangrak

Open hours: 8.30am-5pm Mon to Fri

Phone: +66 (2) 632 6611

#Qantas representative

Cancel

I do not live in Bangkok. So a bit difficult.

I will try a travel agent and see what they can offer.