Where do expats stay on Koh Samui?

I've decided I'll try to look for a place on Samui and I'm just wondering where I should look for somewhere to stay once I've hired a bike for a few days.

I've heard:

Maenam

Bophut

Bang Rak

Choeng Mon

Are the best areas in which to look for a decent place to stay under 10K per month.

Would you agree with this, or do you think there are other areas I should check out?

Cheers

In Lamai there are plenty of expats living in affordable housing (less than 5,000 baht). The mountain side of the ring road from Buddy Beer all the way to Hua Thanon is very cheap. I have a 2 bedroom apartment w/kitchen and living room which costs me 8,000 baht per month.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 1

Lamai and Hinta Hinyai are far cheaper than all the places you listed.

Is there a reason why?

Less developed, most land is still owned by the original Thai families. Less tourists so demand is lower. Lots of reasons really.

• Like 1

Hello finy,

It's unclear from your post what you want e.g. are you looking for a place that is less than 10000 per month but you don't care where it is on the island, or what you wake up to, or how far you have to go to get to bed after a heavy night's drinking, so long as it's cheap?

Hey Jukebox, thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm really just looking for a place with a kitchen and a balcony with table and chair, plus room to hang a hammock.

Ideally close to local markets where I can pick up meat, veg, and fruit to cook my own meals. A short drive to a decent beach would be nice too, but I definitely don't need to live on the sand.

I won't party too often, but I'll be renting a bike so can always head into Chaweng/Lamai every few weeks.

I'm still into renting in Lamai too if I can find somewhere decent, but I was just looking for advice about places to start looking.

After all the replies in this thread I'll definitely search around Lamai along with those other places. I've actually stayed in Lamai before and I thought it was nice, but the place I was staying in was too cheap and I didn't feel safe there. If I have more time to look around I'm sure I could find somewhere better.

There is a huge amount of low-priced accommodation in Lamai around the Wat Lamai area, which is quite close to Tesco and the local market too, which would be ideal if you like shopping. Also about 5 minutes from the beach and nightlife.

I highlighted some of the area on google maps here so you know where I mean.

Edited by pokerspiv
  • Like 2

Maenam without a doubt fantastic swimming beach , good food house's don't know about bars as I do not frequent them nice chilled out village life very little crime and yes there are plenty of properties for under 10,000 baht a month just check how much they are charging you on the electric 5/6 baht per unit okay anything over 8 baht tell them to take a hike

• Like 2

Has the mountain road Maenam Soi 1 to Lamai concrete now...?

Yes and they have repaired the parts that were damaged by the floods a few years back. I don't know when they put concrete on the road; I have only been coming to Samui since 2012 and living here long term since February 2013. Sounds like you know it way back.

Hello finy,

It's unclear from your post what you want e.g. are you looking for a place that is less than 10000 per month but you don't care where it is on the island, or what you wake up to, or how far you have to go to get to bed after a heavy night's drinking, so long as it's cheap?

I'm really just looking for a place with a kitchen and a balcony with table and chair, plus room to hang a hammock.

Ideally close to local markets where I can pick up meat, veg, and fruit to cook my own meals. A short drive to a decent beach would be nice too, but I definitely don't need to live on the sand.

I won't party too often, but I'll be renting a bike so can always head into Chaweng/Lamai every few weeks.

I'm still into renting in Lamai too if I can find somewhere decent, but I was just looking for advice about places to start looking.

After all the replies in this thread I'll definitely search around Lamai along with those other places. I've actually stayed in Lamai before and I thought it was nice, but the place I was staying in was too cheap and I didn't feel safe there. If I have more time to look around I'm sure I could find somewhere better.

Hello finy

In Walking Street, there is the fresh food/meat market which is also close to Tesco Lotus.

Looks like pokerspiv has made some good suggestions too. He was dancing in the Fusion Club until 6 am during the curfew apparently, so he's out and about more than I am.

I have never felt in any danger in Lamai. Make sure you have a good strong padlock on your door and keep your valuables out of sight if you have any visitors.

The only problem I have had is when I first arrived in Samui in 2012. I was very green. I was walking along the Beach Road on a Saturday night / Sunday morning after the boxing had finished. A lady on a scooter stopped to offer me a lift home. During the day I am always being offered lifts by both men and women. I am a very lazy person and was about to get on when I suddenly sensed something wasn't quite right. I took a closer look and realised she was a ladyboy! She was out looking for customers. No big deal really; just embarrassed I didn't realise straightaway. I made my excuses and walked quickly on.

One of the many good things about Samui is that wherever you are on the island most places are within easy reach by bike.

Good luck in your search and I hope that enjoy your stay here.

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 1

Has the mountain road Maenam Soi 1 to Lamai concrete now...?

Yes and they have repaired the parts that were damaged by the floods a few years back. I don't know when they put concrete on the road; I have only been coming to Samui since 2012 and living here long term since February 2013. Sounds like you know it way back.

Thanks, sounds good, cuts the ride to Lamai from Maenam.wai.gif

Yes, some 10+ years back – and last I tried the mountain road, it started out fine with brand new concrete, but seemed like the cement trucks did not have power to get to the top of the hills, so it ended as dirt road for a while, and then the original old dangerous path, where even a 4WD can get serious problems when raining – and it did start raining just after point-of-no-return into the old path... sad.png

Hello finy,

Quite a number of places you can find accomodation like that for less thank 10k/month – espicially now in low season – including Maenam within walking distance from beach, shopping and market...

However, not sure about hammock conditions, depending on posts and hooks, but I do know an under 10k/m “hammock-prof” place in Maenam...

• Like 1

OP thanks for asking the question. I too am looking for a place there starting 1st Aug. Thanks for all the suggestions that were given to the OP. I don't want to steal the thread but as you see the information serves many.

• Like 1

OP thanks for asking the question. I too am looking for a place there starting 1st Aug. Thanks for all the suggestions that were given to the OP. I don't want to steal the thread but as you see the information serves many.

You are not stealing the thread....wink.png the question is repeated several times it seems every year! Everyone has a different opinion ....

Yeah, tbh I just posted the question for a little peace of mind.

I don't actually have a phone, but going to pick one up so I can start making calls when I see 'for rent' signs.

I'll just book a guest house on Agoda of something for 3/4 days and put in the hours exploring.

Also, what is the general standard when it comes to paying rent/deposit etc?

I've heard more than a few horror stories, so at most I'd just prefer to pay one month's rent + one month deposit.

Should be staying for at least 5 months and if I like where I live probably longer with an ED visa so I don't mind losing the deposit after that long, but getting screwed out of 2 months would p1ss me off ha.

Plenty of house for rent signs about, should i return Plai Lam would be my choice. Did some house hunting recently and seemed best bet for me personally. Still relatively quite not far to Ban Rak and brand new furnished one bed house with plenty of space out front was 9k per month. free internet and water. Government electric bill.

Came back to mainland though as every thing else is nearly half the price, food drink etc, then theres the price of flights. But houses in that area were good value and i lived in Samui for 9 years and know its a good area. But each to their own.

post-140396-0-69222100-1401902823_thumb.

Edited by marstons
  • Like 1

You are not stealing the thread....wink.png the question is repeated several times it seems every year! Everyone has a different opinion ....

Yeah, tbh I just posted the question for a little peace of mind.

I don't actually have a phone, but going to pick one up so I can start making calls when I see 'for rent' signs.

I'll just book a guest house on Agoda of something for 3/4 days and put in the hours exploring.

Hello finy

I forgot to say that there is a Thai lady I know. She seems to act as an agent for a number of different landlords in the Lamai area. If she finds a tenant for them she receives a percentage of the first month's rent from the landlord; you don't pay her anything.

I am happy where I am, but out of curiosity I allowed her to show me one of her houses. It was near the Wat Lamai but she has others near the beach and different sizes i.e. one bedroom and two bedroom. She came across as an honest person. Her English is average for a Thai.

If you are interested (and I won't be offended if you are not!), I can PM her mobile number to you. You can follow her on her scooter. It doesn't commit you to anything and doesn't stop you doing your own exploring. It might save you some time though which you can then spend in your hammock.

Sounds great, thanks a lot.

Just PM me the number.

I should have made my way down there by the end of June, but I'll ring her up and see if she's available for a quick tour.

Also, what is the general standard when it comes to paying rent/deposit etc?

I've heard more than a few horror stories, so at most I'd just prefer to pay one month's rent + one month deposit.

Should be staying for at least 5 months and if I like where I live probably longer with an ED visa so I don't mind losing the deposit after that long, but getting screwed out of 2 months would p1ss me off ha.

It really varies from landlord to landlord ... my deposit was only 2000 baht...

My rent includes electric and water... plus I pay several months up front, which gets me a 12,000 baht discount per year... (one thousand baht discount per month) I had same with the previous house too, where I stayed 5 years. (all in) Having said that there are similar houses in my area, where the rent is about the same but electric is extra (usually when there is a air conditioner in the place.... that can add a lot to the normal electric bill! ).

It's a question to ask. Is electric included, if not, does one only pay the meter charge given on the PEA reading slip... Usually, but not always, places with common areas will charge extra. Make sure too, that a record of furniture and appliance condition are in good repair and working ... and make sure any problems are resolved before handing over cash......(You may need a Thai speaker to help negotiate this!)

On a five month lease, you are probably not going to get a discount... Coming in July to September, gets into the "higher season", so also harder to negotiate a discount...

Hope that helps!

• Like 2