Where do expats stay on Koh Samui?

Also, what is the general standard when it comes to paying rent/deposit etc?

I've heard more than a few horror stories, so at most I'd just prefer to pay one month's rent + one month deposit.

Should be staying for at least 5 months and if I like where I live probably longer with an ED visa so I don't mind losing the deposit after that long, but getting screwed out of 2 months would p1ss me off ha.

It really varies from landlord to landlord ... my deposit was only 2000 baht...

My rent includes electric and water... plus I pay several months up front, which gets me a 12,000 baht discount per year... (one thousand baht discount per month) I had same with the previous house too, where I stayed 5 years. (all in) Having said that there are similar houses in my area, where the rent is about the same but electric is extra (usually when there is a air conditioner in the place.... that can add a lot to the normal electric bill! ).

It's a question to ask. Is electric included, if not, does one only pay the meter charge given on the PEA reading slip... Usually, but not always, places with common areas will charge extra. Make sure too, that a record of furniture and appliance condition are in good repair and working ... and make sure any problems are resolved before handing over cash......(You may need a Thai speaker to help negotiate this!)

On a five month lease, you are probably not going to get a discount... Coming in July to September, gets into the "higher season", so also harder to negotiate a discount...

Hope that helps!

Thanks, I'll definitely ask about electricity and I'll make sure the furniture is in working order.

I don't need air conditioning so even at 7bht per unit I think my electric bill was only about 600-700bht per month the last time I stayed on KP.

Depends on your lifestyle

Do you want to be close to bars or 5 minutes away

Do you have a family and want to love out in the sticks

Do you want both

Beaches important ?

Shopping centres

You have pets ?

You want to have pets want open ground ?

Are you a loner and want I live isolated maybe you are writing a novel

Samui has expats everywhere al over the island so if you ask where expats live on samui the answer is samui

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It is all down to what 'rocks your boat'.

Personally, I do not think that Plai Laem is a great beach. It is by a reef and so swimming is not really a good option. Also - it is next to Bangrak which is a commercial area ferry and tourist boat wise. (Many piers.)

A much better tourist beach is Choengmon. You could stay there for two weeks and eat in a different restaurant every night. Good swimming and calm at this time of year.

Another good beach is Maenam - Jimmy knows all of the good spots there. It is on the windward side of the island at the moment so cooler than Choengmon.

Some others like Fisherman's Village (Bophut). Again, not a favourite of mine. Restaurants are a bit touristy (and pricy) and the sand in the sea disappears. There was clay there the last time that I tried swimming there. I big favourite with families though.

Good luck wherever you stay.

• Like 1

Agree with Tropo ^ thumbsup.gif

Re Replay, it would not be my first choice for an area... beach or otherwise.... w00t.gif

Have you checked out the noise levels at night? .... coming from neighbouring bars etc..traffic etc etc.... although I believe the most offensive one has been closed... not 100% sure.. not too far away... name not coming to me at the moment.

Of course Condo's can bring their own problems, check out a few people who live in the units and see what problems there might be.... wink.png

As for Maenam area, most of the "Condos" are probably suited towards the Thai's. Those, that I have seen do not have kitchens and are not really suitable for "westerners".

There seems to be more and more "house for rent" signs.... some pretty good deals for long term renters...(starting around 8000 baht a month +-) could be worth driving around, and checking out.... I bet a dozen or so available right now, that I have seen signs for, on west side of Maenam towards Lomprayah ferry area. thumbsup.gif

By the way, I did move to Koh Samui too. Found a place in Lamai for 10K, free internet, tv and water. Not sure it is the best of deals but considering how quiet it is here I'm happy...so far.

post-26396-0-91674800-1407837282_thumb.j

Edited by Mrjlh

for 12yrs have looked all thailand for somewhere to stay 1mth when gets to hot in cm and 1mth when gets to cold can i get place i bedroom internet tv and cooking area on beach for about 8000 also how much to take chopper bike over cheers

for 12yrs have looked all thailand for somewhere to stay 1mth when gets to hot in cm and 1mth when gets to cold can i get place i bedroom internet tv and cooking area on beach for about 8000 also how much to take chopper bike over cheers

perhaps not right on the beach but within a few minutes walking distance! ^ read what I posted above.... but come high season, these places will go fast (or be rented to longer term people_ )

Currently there is more available because of the Visa runners/ long stayers are headed else where....

But look or ask here, .... before Mr Rooo, starts hopping! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692684-2014-bungalows-houses-apartments-for-short-long-term-rental-private-listings-non-commercial/

Edited by samuijimmy

I know a good place to stay in Lamai for 6.5K per month if anyone is interested. Has kitchen, sat TV, electricity, water, secure, 2 min walk to beach, 5 minutes to gym and tesco, plus a few minutes further to get into center of town. I thought it was decent anyway, I can post pics if someone is looking.

I actually stay in Sihanoukville now and prefer it to Samui, so I don't think I'll becoming back but it's still a nice island.

I stayed at PS Villa Choengmon for six months when I was building my house, but that was 14 years ago. It is still there but called something else. Very basic - in between O'Soleil and the White House. No gym or pool back then, but on the beach.

For fitness centre and pool maybe try Choengmon Bungalows. I have no idea of prices.

http://www.thebeachfrontclub.com/beach-hotel/asia/thailand/koh-samui/choeng-mon-beach/choeng-mon-bungalows/#services

• 3 weeks later...