webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More proof that religion was man's worst invention. sad.png

You judge all of Buddhism, and even all religions.... based on the decision of one Buddhist Abbot ? ?

Really ? ?

Edited by Catoni

You judge all of Buddhism, and even all religions.... based on the decision of one Buddhist Abbot ? ?

Really ? ?

I would not say that he based it solely on one abbot, take a look around you where ever you live, and what he says makes sense, it will never get better

If it's about Buddhism surely the only means to eradicate desire is through meditation so it can only be Long tang's (post no. 42) novelty value behind the Abbott's decision to make what seems to my western mind,(and others who've posted) inappropriate and unnecessary changes to the shrine angels' weaponry. Knees on floors.

Edited by piersbeckett

Keywords: Abbot, shrine (probably Buddhist), angels, modern war weapons.

Questions:

- Are these angels supposed to fight against spiritual beings, or worldly ones, and thus the need for modern war weapons?

- Are you teaching your own version of Buddhism, or the version taught by Buddha?

I'm not positive about this, but I think that those warriors depict 'protectors.' Similar to Tibetan tradition, which I'm more familiar with, there are probably protective deities for meditaters. As such, it's not too outlandish to have weapon-wielding protectors. if the protectors had never been painted with swords prior, and all of a sudden swords were painted on, a lot of people would be freaking out; "Ayee, there are deities painted at a temple holding weapons!"

If you know the story of the Buddha, when he attained enlightenment under the Bo tree, there was a period of time where he was essentially attacked by the universe. It was a sort of psychic attack - when he was just at the threshold of complete enlightenment. The Buddha is sometimes depicted with naga serpents forming a protective canopy. Other times, he's depicted with small whorls all over his head. Those whorls depict snails which crawled up his body and arrayed themselves to protect him.

That somehow just seems so wholly inappropriate . . . but then I'm not Thai so I guess I don't understand . . .

I found the fact that women were discriminated against to me more inappropriate than the images.

What discrimination would that be?

I am apolitical.

How are things in CM currently?

Alot of red shirt sympathizers up that way feeling powerless against the Army?

Feeling like their views have been oppressed by military might?

With the current restrictions on speaking out, this symbolic act might be an indirect method of protest.

Is this monks sentiment unique or is it representative of the residents in his community?

• Like 1

The murals chronicle the legend of the construction of the City Pillar and Phra That Jedi Luang Temple, another prominent religious site of Chiang Mai province, said Phra Kru Suwattana.

They should add lightsabers and blaster rifles in that one!!!

It go's without saying that this is the type of person Thailand needs to lead them into the future , I am very disappointed some one else never thought of this sneaky maneuver , then again I guess Thaskin is busy forming anew government in ?????cheesy.gif

Ya his good buddy in Cambodia said no way. Looks like in a sand castle.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

That idiot painting will draw people just to see if some one was really stupid enough to paint it.sad.png

I hope that is not one of the temples where they supposedly have a school.

I am apolitical.

How are things in CM currently?

Alot of red shirt sympathizers up that way feeling powerless against the Army?

Feeling like their views have been oppressed by military might?

With the current restrictions on speaking out, this symbolic act might be an indirect method of protest.

Is this monks sentiment unique or is it representative of the residents in his community?

Things are fine here in Chiang Mai.

I think the painting is a representation of a very confused mind.

That somehow just seems so wholly inappropriate . . . but then I'm not Thai so I guess I don't understand . . .

I found the fact that women were discriminated against to me more inappropriate than the images.

From the article:

However, women are not permitted to enter the shrine due to a local custom.

Sounds Buddhist to me!

From the article:

Sounds Buddhist to me!

Some traditions are more worthy of preservation than others. Face it, he is pandering to the tastes of his customers, like most savvy businessmen.

The Abbot

needs to get up todate himself as this is what the army is packing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMI_Tavor_TAR-21

IWI-Tavor-TAR-21w1.jpg

800px-IWI-Tavor-TAR-21w1.jpg

Point is this 'Abbot' (where's Costello???).. has got it all wrong replacing traditional depictions of defensive weaponry with OTT modern attack-attack-attack abominations just to get some publicity/ money/ whatever.. so much for being always 'mindful' and not striving thoughtlessly for anything!!!... yet for you it's clearly an opportunity to show you know something about weapons (well, we all have to have some special knowledge or 'talent, yeah?) .. well done, you must be so proud.. your awareness of just what the army is 'packing' astounds!!... maybe you could be his assistant!!! clap2.gif

wai.gif

Edited by spectrumisgreen

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From the article:

Sounds Buddhist to me!

Some traditions are more worthy of preservation than others. Face it, he is pandering to the tastes of his customers, like most savvy businessmen.

So what? A savvy businessmen simply ain't likely to be a good Buddhist (and isn't that exactly what any committed Buddhist layman or monk, nevermind abbot, is supposed to be?), simply by the 'striving'/ reaching without mindfulness for something beyond himself!!! So, doesn't that make this the crassest and most hypocritical thing of this 'story', though? That the Abbot clearly doesn't give a toss for tradition and history, just sees a business and publicity opportunity, yet is happy to keep women away from the 'shrine', which obviously suits him and his pals' chauvenistic tendencies, and worse, completely false pretences at maintaining 'traditional principles and beliefs'??? wai.gif

Edited by spectrumisgreen

Really ? ?

He's clearly stating it's more than just the Abbot's actions, but that the Abbot provides "more proof." For this poster the Abbot's actions further support his conclusion. Not complicated.

'abbot' is a Christian term, 'head monk' is more appropriate.

Many Afghanistan carpet weavers currently depict attack helicopters and other modern weaponry in their intricate carpet designs, including using camo colors. I'm not justifying what the head monk is doing in C.Mai, just mentioning a reflective scenario. Perhaps it would be more appropriate, and less offensive (to T.Visa armchair philosophers) to depict modern warriors with modern weapons, rather than ancient warriors with modern weapons- on the temple illustrations.

Much more offensive, to me, than a few dabs of new paint on an old painting, is the whole-scale destruction of natural habitat that goes on daily - all around C.Mai and beyond. It's like; Rome is burning, but residents are just worried about the color of the candles on their dining table.

In case anyone is wondering, much (if not most) of the artwork in Buddhist temples actually depicts characters from Hindu mythology.

Edited by boomerangutang

I won't be a tiny bit surprised if the 'ancient warriors with rifles' paintings at the temple attract many more visitors, with cameras clicking.

Don't be surprised if gaggles of Asian and farang tourists get their picture taken, standing next to the paintings.

Since ancient times angels, giants and frightening creatures were seen as protectors. Thats all, the farangs that never read up are giving it a completely different meaning in accordance with their own back ground. Being judgemental is NOT a part of Buddhism. What you do not understand don t judge it.