New Test For Bike Drivers Licence

Hi,

I see that the written part of the drivers test is being changed to be much harder so I was thinking of doing the test before they changed it.

I have two questions,

1-does anybody know the date it changes and

2- Somebody told me that if you pass it and you renew your license 60 days before it's out of date you don't have to sit the test again.Is this true or what is the story,is it one test per life or how often do you have to renew it.

The new changes are already in force from June 2nd. 90% failure rate according to Bangkok Post. You will not need to re-sit the test if you are renewing a Thai License and if you are applying for a Thai License for the first time you don't need to sit the test if you have a valid foreign license.

The new changes are already in force from June 2nd. 90% failure rate according to Bangkok Post. You will not need to re-sit the test if you are renewing a Thai License and if you are applying for a Thai License for the first time you don't need to sit the test if you have a valid foreign license.

You mean a foreign motorcycle licence. Was that not always the case? I stand to be corrected.

You mean a foreign motorcycle licence. Was that not always the case? I stand to be corrected.

Correct Sir. Your foreign license must be appropriate for the class of license you are applying for. Unfortunately not many foreign licenses available for tuk-tuks. You need a separate license for a tuk-tuk. Don't ask me why.

O.K,

Well that's that.

But maybe they got an English speaker to translate the new one,the only thing difficult about the last one was that the questions didn't make since.

Also the only disadvantage to not having a license is that the compulsory insurance won't pay if you don't have a license,or so I'm told.

But this only makes me go out and get a private motorcycle insurance policy with decent coverage.

The private companies have policies where you are insured if you don't have a license,or so I'm told.

The bike & the motorcycle ARE the same test. If you already have your auto lic, &(I believe) your intl. driving permit & want to get a lic. for a bike yes you have to do the test.Pretty easy except for the 1940 flight sticks they use for the reaction test. And the brake may be installed backwards to cluster fck you. Pattaya finally changed changed the pads to the right position after the first 6 years I was here. The test couldn't be easier. No minimum breaking distances or how many maters behind an ambulance train crossing etc. It is geared towards a third grader. The bike will have a balance beam you have to drive on & NOT put your feet down or you get points off your grade. I wouldn't do this on a Harley or a full dress bike!

Good luck. The test is a joke.

This is what you need and have to do to get your 1st Thai License which will be valid for one year:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

This is what you need and have to do to renew your 1st or five year Thai License which will be valid for five years:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:renew&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

Read carefully. The questions and answers for the new test in English should be on the http://www.dlt.go.th/ website soon.

Bike and car licenses are separate so if you need both best to do both on the same day or you will have to sit the test and training twice.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

Maybe not relevant as I took my first test for the Thai Motorcycle license 7 years ago and already had a UK license so only had to do the color, braking and depth of field tests then. Easy!

I renewed my 5-year license last month at Morchit as it was more westerner-friendly and a little less crowded than the local offices and the test consisted of a traffic lights test (recognizing the three colors), the braking test (some poor old Thai guy behind me took about 20 attempts! And sent to the back of the queue after each failure!) and the peripheral vision test (red, green and yellow lights) which was a little tricky. Try to place your head a little back from the position it needs to be. You'll understand when you see the test area.

Then watched a waste-of-time 45 minute video on road safety. And that was it!

Edited by H1w4yR1da

will those with a car driving license be able to skip the theory part ?

I have a thai car dl for a decade, interested to get one for the bike, have been asking the same question as yours without an accurate answer.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The bike & the motorcycle ARE the same test. If you already have your auto lic, &(I believe) your intl. driving permit & want to get a lic. for a bike yes you have to do the test.Pretty easy except for the 1940 flight sticks they use for the reaction test. And the brake may be installed backwards to cluster fck you. Pattaya finally changed changed the pads to the right position after the first 6 years I was here. The test couldn't be easier. No minimum breaking distances or how many maters behind an ambulance train crossing etc. It is geared towards a third grader. The bike will have a balance beam you have to drive on & NOT put your feet down or you get points off your grade. I wouldn't do this on a Harley or a full dress bike!

My friend took the bike driving test and drove off the beam.

Didn't matter.

Everybody passed.clap2.gif

5 5 5

I have a thai car dl for a decade, interested to get one for the bike, have been asking the same question as yours without an accurate answer.

Maybe it's because both of you are dyslexic or have ADHD or just don't like reading previous posts or insist on having your questions answered personally.

Didn't matter.

5 5 5

That really sucks cause that had to hurt!

If I ever have to do it again it won't be on the 650 & I will just accelerate instead of being ultra cautious.The lady I had test me was an ultra bitch. Flunked me twice. Got a man 3rd time aced it no problem. Even in the U.S. I helped a poor dude out with a full on Harley road bike on the circle you have to drive around. He dropped the Hog but they let him re - do without waiting another week so I gave him the Yamaha 80 autolube I used to pass the test & he aced it.I felt bad for the man he rashed up his lights & brackets on the right side when he dumped it at 1 mile an hour! Hey Al I will get you the new address for the paint shop not this Friday but next Friday.

I have to do my yearly tomorrow so I won't have the time this week!

Maybe it's because both of you are dyslexic or have ADHD or just don't like reading previous posts or insist on having your questions answered personally.

So what is the previos post, doctor?

Which post PAITA?

This is what you need and have to do to get your 1st Thai License which will be valid for one year:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3470:in-case-of-foreigner&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

This is what you need and have to do to renew your 1st or five year Thai License which will be valid for five years:

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:renew&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

Read carefully. The questions and answers for the new test in English should be on the http://www.dlt.go.th/ website soon.

Bike and car licenses are separate so if you need both best to do both on the same day or you will have to sit the test and training twice.

Which post PAITA?

Didn't matter.

5 5 5

That really sucks cause that had to hurt!

If I ever have to do it again it won't be on the 650 & I will just accelerate instead of being ultra cautious.The lady I had test me was an ultra bitch. Flunked me twice. Got a man 3rd time aced it no problem. Even in the U.S. I helped a poor dude out with a full on Harley road bike on the circle you have to drive around. He dropped the Hog but they let him re - do without waiting another week so I gave him the Yamaha 80 autolube I used to pass the test & he aced it.I felt bad for the man he rashed up his lights & brackets on the right side when he dumped it at 1 mile an hour! Hey Al I will get you the new address for the paint shop not this Friday but next Friday.

I have to do my yearly tomorrow so I won't have the time this week!

Ego only hurt a litten bit.

Hey, a pass is a pass!

He had the dragon lady too, but she was busy doing paperwork, and/or it was a favorable time of the month.