Cashew Nuts

tommytouch

I want to buy some cashew nuts, but just a small amount as I only need about 1/4 a cup for the recipe I'm making. They're about B250 in my local Tesco for quite a big pack and I'd rather just buy what's needed.

Does anyone know of places selling nuts buy the gram, as some supermarkets do with dried fruit, or somewhere selling relatively small packs?

I think I have seen small bags at the "Friend of Kitchen" (Puan Krua) cooking store on the Lamphun road, just south of the Super Highway overpass. If you like to cook, this is a store you need to know about.

I think I have seen small bags at the "Friend of Kitchen" (Puan Krua) cooking store on the Lamphun road, just south of the Super Highway overpass. If you like to cook, this is a store you need to know about.

Yes, they have them at Puen Krua. Also choice of whole or broken if you just need them for flavouring.

42 gram bags are available in 7-11 and most food stores

I have used cashews from seven before and it worked very well. Normally it no problem they are ready salted as you may well be using nam pla, curry paste, rot dee etc. any left over you just eat as you are cooking.

small 20 baht bag from vendor outside 7-11 almost next to Holiday inn, on Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road, going towards Mahidol. And very tasty.

Just enough to accompany a glass of wine without feeling guilty.

small 20 baht bag from vendor outside 7-11 almost next to Holiday inn, on Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road, going towards Mahidol. And very tasty.

I think you and Dante99 are referring to salted cashews. It's unlikely that these are what is called for in the recipe.

We buy ours at the main vegetable market by the river. It is a larger quantity of a 1/2 KG but at the relatively cheap price of 150B some cracked or 160B whole. By weight, It is much cheaper by weight than Makro.

+ 1 and we keep in airtight jars.seem to last a while and still fresh.

We buy ours at the main vegetable market by the river. It is a larger quantity of a 1/2 KG but at the relatively cheap price of 150B some cracked or 160B whole. By weight, It is much cheaper by weight than Makro.

That's a great price. Thanks for the heads up!

I think you and Dante99 are referring to salted cashews. It's unlikely that these are what is called for in the recipe.

dunno-they are roasted and dont taste salty to me; I would certainly use them in cooking, which may benefit from a little salt anyway.