Military asked for steps ahead of tourist high-season: Thailand

webfact

TOURIST
Junta asked for steps ahead of high-season
Suchat Sritama
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai Hotels Association (THA) is asking Military Junta to create recovery plans to restore confidence from international markets ahead of high season as seen very slow new booking for October and January.

The association urged military to release more tourist destination areas such as Chiang Mai as well as some part of the capital, following yesterday lifted Phuket, Surat Thani (Samui), and Chon Buri (Pattaya) as seen these are not in political pressure. Operator also suggested military to withdraw martial law if situation in control to return confidence to visitors.

"What we (operators) fear of are two issues. First is bad news coverage in overseas and remained travel advisories. These can stop hotel bookings or push them shift to other countries."

About 62 nations remained travel warnings mostly advised citizen to avoid or not to the kingdom.

According to president of THA, Surapong Techaruvichit, priority measures are included giving confidence for regular tourists those planned to make vacations in Thailand during the peak season. Moreover, they should lead private sector to organise shot term active plans such as fam-trip and site visit activities for foreign media and bloggers.

"Hotel operators see that new booking made for this year high season is in slow so we fear of the industry may drop that will damage our high season," said Surapong. Adding that Thai travel industry already dramatically drop since late last year when groups of protesters appeared in streets.

According to THA data, average hotel occupancy in Bangkok rate in first three-quarter last year was 70 per cent that showed some improvement from earlier year. But the figure plunged to only maximum of 40 percent this year. Meanwhile, average occupancy rates in key tourist cities like Phuket, Samui, and Pattaya downed by almost 50 per cent, from nearly 100 per cent to 60 per cent. Cancelled markets mostly were from short markets from East Asia as well as ASEAN region.

However, hotels and resorts in the North and Northeast seen less impact with a drop of 15-20 percent thanks to huge domestic travelling during Songkran Festival and New Year season.

Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), the inbound marketing body, is revising its marketing plans launched before coup and curfew. It is working with hotels and tour operators, refocusing on short haul and medium haul markets as part of urgent recovery plans. They will soon offers some promotions and special packages for key market including China, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia. Long haul markets may need to see clearer picture and political improvement first.

According to a luxury hotel operator located along Chao Phraya River, political tension not only hit general tourism but also chased away business travellers. Despite eight hotels have joint hands and launched a package to attract business meeting and to relocate business travellers from city centre to stay along the river since April this year, but operator still disappoint as businessmen not come.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-04

Please note

Zero tolerance for disruptive behaviour

Extraordinary events are taking place once again, and it is important that this venue remains a source of reliable and accurate information so that those needing information to keep their families safe and informed are able to do so without finding a forum cluttered up with senseless fighting, rumours and speculation.

For the time being we will have a zero tolerance policy towards:

- Abusive behaviour towards others.

- Rumour mongering, speculation, or other inflammatory posts.

- Political lobbying or propaganda of any kind.

- Abusing the report system.

Posts in violation will be deleted without comment and posting rights removed.

It is time to set aside your bickering and arguments and help keep others informed. We thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Thank You

/Admin

The message earlier tells the world not to interfere with Thai businesses. This one calls for foreigners to come to Thailand. Make up your mind!

And there's the dichotomy . . . "we don't need or want foreigners interfering in our affairs (or business)" . . . "but please come and spend lots of money here and then go home again as soon as you've spent it all" . . .

• Like 2

Yes the tourist industry is in a lot of problems

How do we know

Hotels across the tourist spots have raised the prices to make up for the loss

Any many smart owners of hotels in Pattaya realise Thais from BKK will so head to Pattaya on the weekend to enjoy the curfew that was certain to drop

Now they are charging a surcharge for weekend bookings

Ha Ha Oly in my beloved Thailand

The military did not do them selves any favors by not addressing the Intl media and not even translating their coup messages, The "reds" jumped in and filled the void, making them selves available for interviews and became the voice of Thailand abroad.

Tourist will trust BBC, CNN much more than a Asian Military.

I suspect many operators and staff will feel this, which is unfortunate for many Thais who are already struggling with the cost of living.

The streets are safe again, consumer confidence is at it's highest for over a year, the people are more relaxed and so there is every reason to suppose the tourist business will pick up. Once all the curfews have been lifted and the government eases up on censorship then travel advisories will cease.

Of course there is always the chang in the hong.......

Sorry, was that Nation report written in English?????

Hahaha! I was thinking similar: I was wondering if The Nation would sponsor a work visa and provide a livable salary for a competent final proofreader.

Road blocks=heavy traffic jams and night curfew hinder my travel plans to Bkk.

Furthermore after the prolonged 7 months of protesting rallies, many have little confidence with regards to the stability of the country. Cancelling of flights and hotel rooms is really a headache.

• Like 1

"Phuket, Surat Thani (Samui), and Chon Buri (Pattaya) as seen these are not in political pressure."

So the man from Surat Thani was in no way responsible for the problems that have faced Thailand in the last 9 months or so? Not in political pressure.....Hmmmm

• Like 1

Aslong as foreign travelers trust there politicians on the travel warnings , many will decide not to come to Thailand .

Gives us something to think about , as it was politicians that created this mess .

The message earlier tells the world not to interfere with Thai businesses. This one calls for foreigners to come to Thailand. Make up your mind!

This is a wierd way of perceiving this report.

You have made absolutely zero distinction between what pro-coup commentators have made regarding foreign policy of overseas government bodies.... And a representative of the hotel and leisure industry that is suffering...

The biggest mystery is how you have managed to up till now gather 5 likes for your totally nonsense post.... I guess TVF is just so full of people who just want to criticize everything that they come across regardless of the fact that the report does not even contain anything worthy of a critical response such as yours.

Then the post under yours says just about the same as you.

Grow up man.

Edited by thumper101
  • Like 1

The streets are safe again, consumer confidence is at it's highest for over a year, the people are more relaxed and so there is every reason to suppose the tourist business will pick up. Once all the curfews have been lifted and the government eases up on censorship then travel advisories will cease.

Of course there is always the chang in the hong.......

The streets are safe again? With intimidating uniforms and weapons? You have a funny look how safety should look;

post-208927-0-70590200-1401858234_thumb.

• Like 1

,,,Philipine islands and Malasia are up 15 + % up on last year

Thailand needs to realise the game has changed in tourism SE Asia. Used to have something of a monopoly as a destination, but with Cambodia, Vietnam, even Laos and now Burma being in the cards, they need to up their game. I would imagine those who wish to visit SE Asia are having discussions: "Thailand is too iffy. Let's book to Vietnam". Hope they wake up and become competitive by offering safety (for all areas), clean up the filth, clean up the rip offs, etc etc. Good luck on that.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I know of two separate groups of friends that are giving Thailand a miss due to the warnings even though I assured them that they will be ok.

It's good that your friends are sensible enough to ignore this poor and blatantly incorrect advice. Why anyone would give his supposed friends misleading and potentially harmful advice is a mystery to me.

• Like 1

Some tangible steps might help, like waiving tourist visa fees and safety-net health insurance for those whose travel cover may be affected. Many tourists attracted by beach resorts and bars won't be put off by the new regime, but others won't like what they see.

With the military coup in place for the unforseeable future how does this affect anyone from Europe wishing to obtain travel insurance cover for their planned trip here..??

If most insurance companies are waving the red flag on any cover to Thailand then any amount of TAT spending is not gonna change the fact that the westerners are gonna opt to fly over the LOS & land in let's say Vietnam....ironically a 'safe' country for westerners now.

(I DO feel sorry for all the street-traders etc in the Thai resorts that DO rely on tourist numbers throughout the year just to make a humble living & to survive.).

I really do think the TAT ought drop their idealistic dream of only wanting/needing high-end tourists in their kingdom..

...but as ever, the powers-that-be here do not/will not reconise the value of the annual income from ex-pats residing here..

..our visas just keep getting harder & harder to obtain every year...wake up you lot in immigration & see how much money we bring in every day/month/year..! (rant over).

• Like 1

I would like to think that maybe the lack of tourists will encourage some of the bar girls to find alternative forms of employment that will give them some self respect in their lives.

but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

And there's the dichotomy . . . "we don't need or want foreigners interfering in our affairs (or business)" . . . "but please come and spend lots of money here and then go home again as soon as you've spent it all" . . .

And if u don't like it, please go home......

Thai contradictions. I fact, what they would really like is a cheque in the post, but that you never actually bother to arrive at all

I mean all that hassle, airport , coup, army. Just send cash please.

With the military coup in place for the unforseeable future how does this affect anyone from Europe wishing to obtain travel insurance cover for their planned trip here..??

If most insurance companies are waving the red flag on any cover to Thailand then any amount of TAT spending is not gonna change the fact that the westerners are gonna opt to fly over the LOS & land in let's say Vietnam....ironically a 'safe' country for westerners now.

(I DO feel sorry for all the street-traders etc in the Thai resorts that DO rely on tourist numbers throughout the year just to make a humble living & to survive.).

I really do think the TAT ought drop their idealistic dream of only wanting/needing high-end tourists in their kingdom..

...but as ever, the powers-that-be here do not/will not reconise the value of the annual income from ex-pats residing here..

..our visas just keep getting harder & harder to obtain every year...wake up you lot in immigration & see how much money we bring in every day/month/year..! (rant over).

what are they gonna do with all those tee shirt vendors now?

Now they notice the tourist money flying out of the country. Thailand better be careful. There is potential in other places not so far away. They could steal your tourists.

tourism has collapsed on Bali from China due to the plane caper

the deals there must be very good now

I am avoiding Thailand now and in the future,

been there, done it, no big deal, not worth the hassle,

dont need guys with machine guns that dont speak english looking at me cross eyed,

I am reading about foreigners in bkk, being forced to take piss tests on sight of thai police,

yeah, come to thailand,

no thanks,

let some of the girls come here, I say