Truck slams into footbridge, cripples morning traffic on Bangkok's Petchburi Road

webfact

Truck slams into footbridge, cripples morning traffic on Petchburi Road
By Coconuts Bangkok

accident.jpg?itok=ZzwJPoN9

Photo: FM. 91 Trafficpro

BANGKOK: -- Traffic near Asoke intersection was shut down this morning after a 10-wheeler struck a pedestrian overpass on Petchburi Road.

Traffic was snarled in the busy area for some time as work crews removed the footbridge after a dump truck’s raised bed slammed into it at 4am.

According to driver Sunit Suebtong, 22, he was returning from a delivery of construction sand in Thonglor before the accident when he passed through the intersection. The truck’s bed was still raised and he slammed hard into the covered walkway.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/04/truck-slams-footbridge-cripples-morning-traffic-petchburi-road

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-04

Seen this happen in Sydney australia. Truck in front had its tipper down but it suddenly started rising while he was driving taking down a couple of blocks of power lines

Sent from my SM-G900F/T/I/M/P/W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The driver had the truck bed RAISED whilst driving around?

I've got to drive that way in about an hour. Is everything OK now? Cheers

Naw. Lower the bed. OK? tongue.png

LOL mate laugh.png

How'd the old joke go?

"Walk this way please".

" If I walked that way I'd get arrested duckie."

• Like 2

Good grief. More gross stupidity from Thai drivers.

I hope the city sends the truck driver the bill for removing AND replacing the footbridge. The only thing most Thais seem to understand is when it hits them in their wallet.

And now that the justified "Thai driver bashing" is over, here's a look at the way things are in the perfect world outside the Kingdom.. Quite a few errant truck drivers in the good 'ole USA it seems.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=truck+accidents+with+bridges&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=e8SOU43aAobh8AWtpIDwBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=634#q=dump%20truck%20accidents&tbm=isch

• Like 2

What a complete bonehead - made me late for my appointment.

Nobody thought to stop him?

4.00 a.m., doubt anyone saw him with the curfew and all.

Good point!

However one might reasonably expect the boys in brown to be enforcing said curfew at or around Asoke?

I would have thought the truck would have had some form of device to alert the driver the bed was still up,however even if i did i suppose it no longer worked due to lack of maintenance.

Just remember that the THAI MANUAL to deal with everything states:

PRINCIPLES OF MAINTENANCE.

Wait for something to fail to operate. After that, contact superior. Maybe it can be used for a while longer on and off.

REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT only when it is absolutely necessary.

Green wires for grounding are to be ignored. The device will operate any way without it.

Wear amulet.

The same thing happened near where I used to work back in Essex. The warning beeper didnt work and the bed raised up unknown to the driver. He hit a pedestrian bridge and lifted it off the pillars. It wasnt bolted down !! The whole lot dropped on his cab squashing him. An ex friend who was a copper had to go in the cab to confirm if he was dead or not. He assured them he was as his head was under the seat ! He spewed his ring and crawled out covered in puke and blood much to the amusement of the other police, who didnt like him either. Because of this accident there were changes in the safety laws.

Does anybody know if there was any pedestrian on the walkway when it happened?

I see many posts about reckless driving and poor law enforcement but not a single line about whether or not there is any injured people...

Just talking about this incident on the news on the Tv, the bridge is damaged beyond repair nad has to be replaced completely.

The driver, was fined 1000 baht cheesy.gif Wow, thats severe , that'll teach him !

What an example to set, anyone want to take out a bridge for $30 for £20 ?

Edited by CharlieH