Where To Translate Uk Marriage Certificate?

I was at the Kap Cheong (Surin Province) Immigration office today to apply for a year’s renewal to my O Visa.

My wife and I were married in the UK so our marriage certificate is naturally in English.

The Immigration official was very helpful in explaining the requirements etc. All is in order but I require my marriage certificate translated and given an official stamp for the process to progress to the next stage.

Has anyone experience of having a marriage certificate translated - and if so - can they recommend somewhere or someone.

The Immigration official suggested the Embassy but having looked at the British Embassy's website they do not offer translation services.

We live in Issan - Buriram province, obviously I would prefer not to have to travel to Bangkok to do this but if I have to, then so be it or could it be done using the EMS service.

Have not done this but suspect what they want is for the document to be translated by an official translation service and then registered at the MFA which makes file copy and provides stamp/document number that makes this an official document for international use. I would do myself rather than take a chance of any loss. There are a number of translation offices across the street from the British Embassy. Although Embassy may not not do translations they would probably advise you if you call them. Hopefully someone who has been through this will post detailed info for you.

Lopburi's advice is correct.

We have had personal experience of this procedure three years ago - it's very straightforward but may have changed slightly:

1. Make TWO photocopies of original wedding certificate, and take to your embassy in Bangkok for notarisation (fixing of a stamp and a signature of Embassy official) to certify it is a true copy).

2. Take certified copy (don't part with original) of wedding certificate to any translation bureau - we chose one in Pratunam, purely for convenience to where we were staying.

3. Ask the translation bureau to make and certify TWO additional copies of translation (they do this by fixing their company seal).

4. Make two photocopies of your passport, plus your wife's Thai ID card.

Take originals plus certified copies of wedding certificate and translation, together with original and copies of your passport, wife's Thai ID to Dept of Consular Affairs, Laksi. I think its either the mezzanine or first floor.

Take a ticket from their machine, wait for your number to be called, and go to the relevant window. They will check all the documents, and if in order, keep both sets of certified copies, ask for a fee (I think it was 300 baht) and give you a receipt with a date and time to return - in our case two days later.

On return, you get back one set of the certified copies, with their Departmental seal fixed to them. With that seal (and only that) you can go other departments to register your marriage.

I am highly interested in this topic.

I was married in Holland. I translated the dutch marry certificate into english and let it certified by the dutch embassy. I also let the Thai embassy (in Jakarta) certify this translated document.

They(Thai embassy) advised AGAINST translation in Thai as quote" we can read english in Thailand" unquote.

Further I have a international prove of registration of the marriage ( in 6 languages and generated by computer and e-mailed to me by dutch officials).I also have this certified by the dutch embassy.

Also here the officials were asking why ?

I remember Dr.PP who also stated several times that a thai translation would not be necessary.

I rather go all the way NOW, than be surprised after my arrival

Now I'm puzzled! Should I try another immigaration office - or should I just go and get the translation work done!!

I used the Kap Cheung Immigration office as it is closest to me. They were very helpfull and the officer we spoke to did speak a liitle English but they were firm that the application could not proceed unless the marriage certificate was translated!

Now I'm puzzled!
After a lifetime you will still be puzzled :o

I suspect all that they require is the registration of this document at the MFA as that is their key it is a legal paper for international use. But I would do exactly as they say - you are going to be dealing with them for many years. So if he says translated and official stamp I would do it.

Would you advise me to go to MFA during my next holiday visit to Thailand and let it certify(on top of the certification by the Thai embassy who is the representation of MFA I suppose)?

The more stamps the better?

Would you advise me to go to MFA during my next holiday visit
It could do no harm and is not that expensive. If they do not believe it is required I think they will tell you (they used to have a list of reasons for registration that you had to pick out). Think English is going to become more common as new ID card will contain but moods run hot and cold so you never know from one day to the next or one office to another. I recently had to provide passport with name in English/id card/home register and certified copies (plus a fee of 400 baht) to a hospital just to get an English language receipt for treatment of my wife.