Curfew enforcement getting more repressive

WinnieTheKhwai

At just after 11pm the police are announcing that everyone needs to be packed up by 11.30pm! It doesn't make much difference because the place is deserted , but it doesn't help their cause. Imagine sitting there all night, selling nothing and then having people come around telling you what to do. Forget about watching the World Cup anywhere other than at home alone. It's pretty clear that even the 'early' kick-offs at 11pm are out of the question.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just before midnight I did a quick drive around Thapae , Rajawithee and Loi Kroh. The meat wagon was already parked up at Thapae gate and cones were being set up, everywhere was closed on Rajawithee and no signs of a lock-in anywhere. Even Sheryle's (I mention there because a., it was advertising as a place to watch all games and b., to annoy Chicog, who seems to have shares in Thaivisa) was totally deserted. Loi Kroh was deserted and so was everywhere else by midnight. The screw certainly seems to be being tightened. To the people who say "well that's the law, blah, blah, blah", I'm just letting people know that whereas things are lightening up elsewhere, it seems to be the complete opposite here.

In case people were unaware of it, a screening of 1984 by a Chiang Mai film club was banned, on the same day that the press were nicely asked not to use the word 'coup' in their reports. Which is only fair.

PS in my previous post I was referring to The Night Bazaar.

Of course. 1984 presents Big Brother is such a negative manner.

• Like 1

Just before midnight I did a quick drive around Thapae , Rajawithee and Loi Kroh. The meat wagon was already parked up at Thapae gate and cones were being set up, everywhere was closed on Rajawithee and no signs of a lock-in anywhere. Even Sheryle's (I mention there because a., it was advertising as a place to watch all games and b., to annoy Chicog, who seems to have shares in Thaivisa) was totally deserted. Loi Kroh was deserted and so was everywhere else by midnight. The screw certainly seems to be being tightened. To the people who say "well that's the law, blah, blah, blah", I'm just letting people know that whereas things are lightening up elsewhere, it seems to be the complete opposite here.

In case people were unaware of it, a screening of 1984 by a Chiang Mai film club was banned, on the same day that the press were nicely asked not to use the word 'coup' in their reports. Which is only fair.

Somehow I think the capital of red shirt land and the home territory of the Shinawatra clan are not high on the list to have the curfew removed.

Of course. 1984 presents Big Brother is such a negative manner.

They meant well.

Somehow I think the capital of red shirt land and the home territory of the Shinawatra clan are not high on the list to have the curfew removed.

Carrot or stick? A lot of people in Chiang Mai depend on tourism. Getting their support would be a good start. Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Seems like there's a surge in property for sale and rent, agent contacts have increased plus the sales boards at Rimping are overflowing.

as you are very aware of,my posts have always indicated * its a buyers market* long before this latest hiccup.

but as ever u cover your angle, with the word * seems like a etc etc *

just hedging again

a nice afternoon to allsmile.png

No, not hedging anything, I made an observation that something had changed (as in, not the same as it was previously), how much clearer can that be! blink.png

there are some chinese , korean and i think japanese with a suicide wish on rented motorbikes about for sure and their skill on bikes is if anything ... worse than thais sad.png

if thats possible ?

dave2

without a doubt they are all Chinese.

Anecdotal:

The larger hotel chains are not replacing staff as they leave, occupancy levels are not good at all and budgets at at least three that I know well are being missed.

My hairdresser (chang klan) tells me business is down, most of his/her trade is local not farang, he tells me that lock in parties at the karaokes (next door) are not uncommon and the army tolerates. Said hairdresser is happy to suffer however for the greater good and sees the cost as being worthwhile longer term.

Tourist numbers at the Holiday Inn appear strong, the lobby is always full of Korean/Chinese plus a number of farang tourists in the gym.

Seems like there's a surge in property for sale and rent, agent contacts have increased plus the sales boards at Rimping are overflowing.

it may be for another topic but yesterday we went to an appointment on the Canal Road somewhere across from Prasert Land. as we were sitting there thinking how quiet it was we realized that construction on that huge multistory building next-door has come to a halt. the cranes had parts of them covered in canvas and there was not a soul anywhere in sight on the construction site.

when we left we went back on the Canal Road and continued to 700 Pi road all the way to Sansai making a couple of stops along the way. we couldn't help but notice how many other construction projects have come to a halt and how many places have gone out of business on 700 Pi road just in the last 2 or 3 weeks. in a couple of spots we noticed 3 or 4 businesses side by side, all closed and some with for rent signs while the old billboards from the previous businesses were still in place.

What's the acceptable alternative to coup then? Compulsory Happyness?

:

when we left we went back on the Canal Road and continued to 700 Pi road all the way to Sansai making a couple of stops along the way. we couldn't help but notice how many other construction projects have come to a halt

was over that way last weds.,nufffin appeared out of the norm,had lunch at the nonfluke whilst a little quite. it is non pay weeksmile.png

will be back this monday, where i will take off my rose tinted glasses and taker a closer capt cook

the blding p/jects u mentioned are they condos or low rises?????

a very nice morning to allbiggrin.png

it may be for another topic but yesterday we went to an appointment on the Canal Road somewhere across from Prasert Land. as we were sitting there thinking how quiet it was we realized that construction on that huge multistory building next-door has come to a halt. the cranes had parts of them covered in canvas and there was not a soul anywhere in sight on the construction site.

when we left we went back on the Canal Road and continued to 700 Pi road all the way to Sansai making a couple of stops along the way. we couldn't help but notice how many other construction projects have come to a halt and how many places have gone out of business on 700 Pi road just in the last 2 or 3 weeks. in a couple of spots we noticed 3 or 4 businesses side by side, all closed and some with for rent signs while the old billboards from the previous businesses were still in place.

I suspect that there may well be a slow-down, in the local construction-boom/bubble, until people are more confident of how the coup may/may-not affect things ?

Our own prospective-tentative buyers, from Bangkok, have told us they will not be taking things any further for at least a few months, which means that we'll probably call a temporary-halt on building our own new smaller house. Pity, but markets do have ups-and-downs, that's life !

:

when we left we went back on the Canal Road and continued to 700 Pi road all the way to Sansai making a couple of stops along the way. we couldn't help but notice how many other construction projects have come to a halt

was over that way last weds.,nufffin appeared out of the norm,had lunch at the nonfluke whilst a little quite. it is non pay week:)

will be back this monday, where i will take off my rose tinted glasses and taker a closer capt cook

a very nice morning to all:D

The answer is here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733993-cambodian-workers-flee-thailand-out-of-fear/

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order is expected to lift curfew in Bangkok and remaining provinces Friday night after General Prayuth Chan-ocha is due to appear on the television to talk to the Thai people on the “Return Happiness to the Thai People” programme, according to informed army sources.

Thaivisa News

A reminder not to get into a political discussion on this nor the military. Reports on what is happening currently regarding the curfew and updates if the curfew is lifted are fine.

• Like 1

What's the acceptable alternative to coup then? Compulsory Happyness?

"What's the acceptable alternative to coup then?"

I can think of some obvious answers, but I'm not allowed to post them.

:

was over that way last weds.,nufffin appeared out of the norm,had lunch at the nonfluke whilst a little quite. it is non pay week:)

a very nice morning to all:D

The answer is here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733993-cambodian-workers-flee-thailand-out-of-fear/

I think in Chiang Mai the cheap and sometimes illegal immigrant labor primarily comes from Burma.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and it is no different pre or post coup (or not a coup).

The police are acting normally and there are no signs of the Army at all.

I'm surprised that the news of a c%#p got through so quick.

Could you explain what "the police are acting normally" means?

As I said I am out during the day time and see lots of tourists. It is low season no matter what is happening politically and only natural to see fewer tourists. Where as I agree the number coming for the women and booze would most assuredly be down no matter what season it was.

Unfortunately you seeing people out and about and deciding they are all tourists is not as credible as the Thai government stating that tourism is down 11% on last year.

And they normally inflate the figures.

And what is this "drinking crowd" nonsense?

You think most tourists are muslims or something? You think tourists don't do stuff during the day, have a nap and a shower, eat then go out for a few beers?

I do not know a single tourist who goes to Chiang Mai just to go drinking.

I know a few residents who do not much else, perhaps you are confusing the two.

Perhaps if you would bother to read the posts you would know what I was talking about. Most of the negative replies come from if you prefer later night crowd such as your self. I may be wrong but I believe you recently posted you are out late at night. Did the Government report Tourism is down 11% in Chiang Mai or 11% in Thailand? It could well be up 100% in Chiang Mai and down 11% nationally. It of course is not but I use that as an example to show you that you are standing on air.

I have no idea what you are on about here

You think most tourists are muslims or something? You think tourists don't do stuff during the day, have a nap and a shower, eat then go out for a few beers?

I do not know a single tourist who goes to Chiang Mai just to go drinking.

My comments are about seeing tourists during the day. Not a bunch of old men with a women 30 years their junior. Yesterday I saw 4 teenage falong girls with no men plus many other younger people. Yes they may go out for a drink at night but the curfew is midnight and I don't really think they are out then. I stand firm. The people who are objecting are the late night local crowd. Business are closing as they have been doing so for years particularly in the low season. With the onslaught of malls it has gotten even worse.

As I said I stand firm on my position I will admit that their is more than likely a some people but no where near the amount people would have us believe being affected by the curfew. As for the head line on this thread the answer is a resounding NO. Was there not a popular one on Loi Kroh that closed down in the last year before any of this crap happened. The business just wasn't there any more.

Fire away at me I state my opinion based on what I see with my own eyes in the day and what the people say on this thread and other similar threads. It is the drinkers and women chasers mainly complaining. From what I have read here on many different threads this trade for tourists has been going down hill for many years.

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order is expected to lift curfew in Bangkok and remaining provinces Friday night after General Prayuth Chan-ocha is due to appear on the television to talk to the Thai people on the Return Happiness to the Thai People programme, according to informed army sources.

Thaivisa News

A reminder not to get into a political discussion on this nor the military. Reports on what is happening currently regarding the curfew and updates if the curfew is lifted are fine.

A reminder about spreading rumours would be timely too.

• Like 2

Has the curfew been lifted in Chiang Mai? Just saw 3 trucks of reinforcements arrive at Tapae Gate, maybe they are anticipating some action. Its all getting a little surreal. Maybe some should go for a jog around the moat, some of them could seriously do with the exercise, a little on the pudgy side.

• Like 1