central festival very quiet...

beau thai

Had a long stroll around Central Festival at about 3.30 - 5pm yesterday and couldnt believe how few people were there. May be the time of day,but most places definitely had more staff than customers - did a double take and thought I was in Promenada.

I have also been in Maya recently and noticed the same.

Surely the coup cant have such an effect on shoppers/browsers; maybe household debt levels are slowing locals down, but it seems odd to see such a dramatic drop off so quickly..

Earlier in the week I strolled from Chang Puak to Chiang Mai Gate, via a bar and restaurant of course, and saw far fewer foreigners than usual - the area towards Chiang Mai gate in the middle there, is generally flush with farang etc.

Any one noticed the same or am I putting 2 and 2 together and making 5, from these random experiences?

I was there last week (first time I had been there) , really quiet too. I thought maybe its always like that !

In town also very quiet. Really notice it when you come to cross the road, rarely have to wait that long.

Actually seen more tourists today than I have in a few weeks - mostly students on holiday and Chinese.

I noticed the same thing a short while ago. It seems to me that we are " malled out" and people are realising that all malls have too many common denominators. I am mystified why Festival has so many Japanese restaurants, and very indifferent ones as that. And stores like M&S are just boring and expensive. Reality has set in!

As for visitors, we have the perfect storm. The start of the low season combined with the negative effects of the curfew and the underlying political tensions is making Thailand unattractive. And if the leaders and TAT think that events where free haircuts and roses or street music in one Bangkok location is going to have any positive effect then they are wrong. There are many alternative,s in the region where facilities and service equal and exceed the increasingly jaded Thai offerings. Once again, Reality has set in!

It seems to me that we are entering a phase that could determine the fate of Thailand for years to come, and a fine line is being trodden. It will not take much to push things into a long period of decline. Few people have seen the data on damage already done and jobs already lost. But soon we will begin to see the figures. And the malls and tourism plant will sadly remain quiet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I was there also today from 2 until 5 killing time. Easy to do waiting for an English speaker in True. At any rate I noticed that there was not that many people there. Even down in the tops food store there was not that many shoppers. We had gone to see a movie and there was a lot of people in that area. Yesterday we were in the Promenada for a delicious Italian Diner at Ragu. We actually went because the granddaughter turned 15 and that is what she chose.

At any rate I realized that the Promenada would defiantly look like it had less people than Central. It does. But it is such a wide open area that it is not as easy to see all the people as it is at Central.

edit

Forgot to mention that Central Festival Mall is defiantly not trying to cater to the westerners. So many signs in just Thai.

I have also noticed that the theaters are starting to cater to more Thais. Lots of shows in Thai with English sub titles and some not even English subtitles. I am talking about shows from the western world. We went to see the edge of tomorrow and they had it in just Thai I have noticed quite a few do now. We try to time it so if we take the grandkids we can get the English and them the Thai. Generally a half hour difference which is acceptable.

Wound up seeing it in the Imax. Is good but you need to sit as far away from the screen as you can get.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 2

And .... who uses all those slimming and botox places !

So many restaurants ! And how does Uniglo justify so many stores.

I would be really interested to see a breakdown of rents and costs in these places.

It was pretty obvious this would happen with so many malls opening at the same time, but the coup does not help anything.

The coup does not help obviously but we now have 5 major malls where this time last year we had 2. In the 6 years we have been in CM I would suggest the number of coffee shops and cafes is up about 500% . Fast food outlets ie McDonalds,KFC are the major tenants in the growth of many new small satellite shopping centres ie Star Avenue projects.

Have no experience north of town but south of town the ,around the Mae Hia area, eating options have multiplied 10 fold so my conclusion is that its simply a massive over supply of new businesses which has outpaced tourism and permanent resident growth.

Thai household debt has also ,according to my bank manger, increased 45% in the last 5 years and as Thais are still way in the majority it is little wonder that they are not out and about spending money they don't have..

• Like 1

Central Airport appears as busy as ever and Baan&Beyond is a good weekend crowd puller. IMHO Central Festival's Food Hall is too up market for locals and the food court too small [and noisy] to attract lunchtime trade ... I agree, too many Jap restaurants!

We lunched at Promenada Fuji on Wed, and every table was full yet 3 other Jap restaurants either had NO trade or only a few tables occupied. There's definitely an over supply of certain restaurants.

Edited by kaptainrob

Central Airport appears as busy as ever and Baan&Beyond is a good weekend crowd puller. IMHO Central Festival's Food Hall is too up market for locals and the food court too small [and noisy] to attract lunchtime trade ... I agree, too many Jap restaurants!

We lunched at Promenada Fuji on Wed, and every table was full yet 3 other Jap restaurants either had NO trade or only a few tables occupied. There's definitely an over supply of certain restaurants.

We must visit different places! Airport Plaza's traffic is way down most of the time and, as for Baan & Beyond, I've yet to see more customers there than staff. The whole B&B unit at the back must be hemorrhaging money with four of the independent units already closed (a couple disguised by displaying B&B stock) and never anyone at either of the restaurants. It's a good job Central has deep pockets....

I think you are all missing the point that on Koh Samui, which is where the first poster is talking about, it is LOW SEASON, so there are very few tourists on the island. Roads are quiet and the restaurants are quiet, thank goodness. And whoever said Central is not for Westerners must be nuts. Of course it is at those prices, where it is and the types of shops!

Last week we went to the AIS office at Central Festival on a weekday and the mall was nearly empty. We then stopped at Big C Extra (old Carrefour) around lunchtime and the parking lot was full and the food court there was packed. Interesting that Central Festival seems to have had little impact on Big C Extra as close as they are to each other.

We make it out to eat at Promenada every week or two and it kind of seems like it is getting better. Seems like they are slowly getting more tenants but it could just be my imagination.

The last time we were in Maya a few weeks back it was nearly empty. It might be a bit more interesting when they open the rooftop bar/restaurant or whatever it will be.

We also have been to Central Airport several times on weekdays lately and expected it to be not so crowded but it seems to be going as strong as ever. The downstairs food court was as jam packed as I ever remember it.

Interesting that Central Airport and Big C seem to have survived the onslaught of new malls so well.

Grin

I think you are all missing the point that on Koh Samui, which is where the first poster is talking about, it is LOW SEASON, so there are very few tourists on the island. Roads are quiet and the restaurants are quiet, thank goodness. And whoever said Central is not for Westerners must be nuts. Of course it is at those prices, where it is and the types of shops!

there's a Central Festival on Koh Samui now?? i guess Koh Samui will always remain a wonderful memory for me as I'll never go back.

"And whoever said Central is not for Westerners must be nuts. Of course it is at those prices, where it is and the types of shops!"

LOL obviously you are a newbie. Central is for Thais and other Asians mostly; i.e. Koreans, Japanese, Malaysians, Singaporeans, and Hong Kong Chinese.

• Like 1

Last week we went to the AIS office at Central Festival on a weekday and the mall was nearly empty. We then stopped at Big C Extra (old Carrefour) around lunchtime and the parking lot was full and the food court there was packed. Interesting that Central Festival seems to have had little impact on Big C Extra as close as they are to each other.

We make it out to eat at Promenada every week or two and it kind of seems like it is getting better. Seems like they are slowly getting more tenants but it could just be my imagination.

The last time we were in Maya a few weeks back it was nearly empty. It might be a bit more interesting when they open the rooftop bar/restaurant or whatever it will be.

We also have been to Central Airport several times on weekdays lately and expected it to be not so crowded but it seems to be going as strong as ever. The downstairs food court was as jam packed as I ever remember it.

Interesting that Central Airport and Big C seem to have survived the onslaught of new malls so well.

Grin

and let's not forget Kad Suan Kaew which is doing just as well as it has in the past. KSK and Central Plaza Airport are where the real shopping is done. the others are for window shopping and hanging out, looking cool.

Grin

As I said in an earlier post it is hard to really compare the number of people in the different Malls. Promenada is laid out in such a way that you can not really tell how many people are there where as Central Festival and Airport it is easier to see the people in the aisles. defiantly more people at Central festival but all the store signs are aimed at the Thais. Very few in English.

The airport mall is down a little but still gets a high volume. Maya only went once and it to is laid out so not that easy to see every one. Also did not have the stores filled out yet. Am looking forward to going back and seeing what they have to offer on the roof. Considering a pair of the Birkenstock shoes there. The only outlet in Thailand. GSK well it has a steady stream of customers. But so many hard to find places.

A lot of the shops in all the Malls,will be very lucky if

they make enough profit to cover rent and electric,

so in my opinion its only time before they start closing

one by one,the small outfits first.

If you notice the people that are walking around ,are

not buying anything,simple reason they don't have the

money,the average income does not allow for impulse

buying like in the west,wages stagnant,inflation rising,

at a lot bigger % than the government ?, would have

us believe,and a report the other day where 50% of

the population is up to their eyes in debit.and may have

to default on their loans,too many Malls,at the wrong time,

OK if the investors are in it for the long term.

regards Worgeordie

I think that was part of the planning for the Promenada. They figure the area will grow a lot in the future. Central was built with the idea that the clientele was already in place. The area will of course grow but at a slower pace than the Promenada.

Of course when the Promenada area really takes off some one will build another mall in the area.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

dont know why you assumed I was talking about Koh Samui in the chiang Mai Forum?? I wasnt.

Well it turns out Uniqlo in Thailand is a joint venture with Mitsubishi - so presuming they won't go bust.

Probably similar for a lot of the big names.

Will Thailands malls in the future be the same as the UK highstreet, charity shops and betting shops with the odd takeaway w00t.gif

dont know why you assumed I was talking about Koh Samui in the chiang Mai Forum?? I wasnt.

There are Central Festival Malls in a number of locations around Thailand.

There are Central Festival Malls in a number of locations around Thailand.

including Koh Samui??? the last time i was there there was nothing there..literally nothing but a few small shops and restaurants, beach bungalows and outdoor bars. that was a while ago....lovely place.

I noticed the same thing a short while ago. It seems to me that we are " malled out" and people are realising that all malls have too many common denominators. I am mystified why Festival has so many Japanese restaurants, and very indifferent ones as that. And stores like M&S are just boring and expensive. Reality has set in!

As for visitors, we have the perfect storm. The start of the low season combined with the negative effects of the curfew and the underlying political tensions is making Thailand unattractive. And if the leaders and TAT think that events where free haircuts and roses or street music in one Bangkok location is going to have any positive effect then they are wrong. There are many alternative,s in the region where facilities and service equal and exceed the increasingly jaded Thai offerings. Once again, Reality has set in!

It seems to me that we are entering a phase that could determine the fate of Thailand for years to come, and a fine line is being trodden. It will not take much to push things into a long period of decline. Few people have seen the data on damage already done and jobs already lost. But soon we will begin to see the figures. And the malls and tourism plant will sadly remain quiet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would not perceive the decline of tourists and the shopping malls void of customers in Chiang Mai as a general example of the situations in other major cities of Thailand.

Most of this is down to bad planning and over enthusiastic clampdowns on the adult entertainments and nightlife venues, which is something I have been ranting on about for years.

Firstly, most of these shopping malls are more or less the same, seen one, seen them all and in my opinion so many in a small city such as Chiang Mai are surplus to requirements and not needed. There are simply not enough customers to go round and like myself, many customers are happy to shop at the big supermarkets, Tesco Lotus, Big C, the Rim Ping and the Airport Plaza and see no good reasons or benefits to shifting my custom to the new shopping malls and I guess many feel the same.

Then there is distinct lack of nightlife, much of it has been shut down by the clamp downs over the years and what there is, is of very poor quality. In Chiang Mai once a tourist has visited the usual attractions that can all be seen within 3 days then there is not much else to do in Chiang Mai, especially for those who enjoy a bit of clubbing, wine, women and song. It has been like this for several years and as far as I know, there is nothing new, so having been to Chiang Mai once means seeing it all. I have many friends abroad who used to holiday in Chiang Mai regularly every year and now give it a miss completely, complaining that it has become boring and for what there is, has become expensive for tourists.

So there’s your answer, and the visitors to Chiang Mai has been in steady decline for years plus these new shopping malls have nothing to offer that is not available in Chiang Mai already.