Thai'd or scammed in Apple!?

Maroon Watcher

So I bought the wife an iPad - easy right?

We had a great day finally sorted out many paperwork problems,

thinking what day we would go on holiday etc - basically a perfect day..

then we walked in to the Mall Apple Store ("Licensed agent").

Everything was fine and jolly until the assistant kept watching me input my passwords,

Perhaps she was just trying to help, because of my Man fingers on the touch pad.

I eventually and jokingly asked to look away, as she was making me nervous (Reading my passwords!)

But then she was glued to my "Secret Q & A's" section -

maybe she was interested in my q & a's, perhaps for fun?

I was getting a little p****D off now - I just wanted basic set up and go for lunch!

"iPad not work unless all your information in"

Now Facebook - I don't want facebook = "have to",

Another password...

Then she asked about my home address abroad - hmmm?

She wanted, number, Street, and post code - Now I'm Not happy...

Why?

Then she asked for my Home (Abroad) telephone number.

"iPad not work unless all your information in" (3)

At this point I would not give any more info.

I left my wife to pack it in the box, as I walked out.

She had my Thai bank card and home address

Maybe she thought the card was fake!??

But all the info she wanted and viewed would have given her access to my (Home) Credit Card!

And ALL my computer bank details for business and access to other businesses, she could have used...

Was I Thai'd up in Knots, had she never served a Farang with a Debit card before?
or was she extracting the security?

(I have changed my passwords)

...and did they tell you you must disclose your home (Native) address and telephone number -

"Or Apple not work" (3 times...)

I've bought a couple of ipads over the years and they just gave me the box.

I did the setup when I got home. Simple.

...and did they tell you you must disclose your home (Native) address and telephone number -

Of course not, I gave them the money and they gave me the box containing the ipad.

To setup a completely new Apple account is a different scenario entirely. For that you will need to use a credit card and the credit cards address MUST match the billing address regardless of where you are. If that billing address is in some far away country then you must use that as it is verified when the transactions are processed

Maybe that's what was going on here. My Apple account is setup with my UK address and debit card via apple.

Edited by ukrules

... Nope. It was a SCB DEBIT card - I gave my address in BKK.

That's the point... why my 'home" (Native) address and "home" landline number... Ridiculas.

(I had my passport with me. But she didn't ask for ANY I.D.)

Of course not, I gave them the money and they gave me the box containing the ipad.

To setup a completely new Apple account is a different scenario entirely. For that you will need to use a credit card and the credit cards address MUST match the billing address regardless of where you are. If that billing address is in some far away country then you must use that as it is verified when the transactions are processed

Maybe that's what was going on here. My Apple account is setup with my UK address and debit card via apple.

Just get a box, maybe test out that it boots up and then tell them that you don't need any help setting it up. Alternatively, set up apple/itunes account online before going to the store, then you should only need your login and password for the initial setup, no additional private info (and certainly no FB)

• Like 1

Now he/she tells me! (Ha ha)

Thats what I wanted - just set up, meant just boot up/check. Maybe go through the options

(First time Apple user!)

Just get a box, maybe test out that it boots up and then tell them that you don't need any help setting it up. Alternatively, set up apple/itunes account online before going to the store, then you should only need your login and password for the initial setup, no additional private info (and certainly no FB)

Not in a tourist area (Suburb)
Ha, ha. Now I have had 2 beers... maybe a crazy witch on menstruation.

AND do you know why I don't mind saying that...

cos of experience and the fact that she totally ruined my balance of Thailand!

(It's hard work, living in Thailand! Jeeeeez!)

Either a scam (was this in a touristy area?) or an employee without 2 brain cells to rub together. I'd guess the latter is more likely. As mentioned above, buying an iPad involves paying for it and taking the box home, nothing more.

Yep, do want to add that now a credit card is not needed to create an ID as there plenty of free apps. Only need to give one if you want to buy the apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thats what I wanted - just set up, meant just boot up/check. Maybe go through the options

(First time Apple user!)

Ipads/iphones do need to be set up first time they are turned on, and if you don't have an apple account it does indeed go into the whole account setup thing with cc details (while technically optional, Apple obviously presumes that you want to set it up for appstore/itunes purchases).

This setup is straightforward, but there are plenty of luddites out there who would still get confused somehow and need to be guided through it, so my money is on that girl just being overly cautious.

In my experience the staff at those authorized seller stores is pretty reasonable.

Edited by Triglav

An official apple outlet simply wouldn't hire staff that didn't know what they were on about.

Except possibly in los,and of course they would never admit it,due to losing "FACE"

There are no real Apple stores here, just agents selling product, with muppet staff. Ever seen a Genius Bar in Thailand?

Apparently you haven't spent any time in a bar with expats. Those are either genius bars or ex special forces bars - take your pick. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Maybe you should have just kept trying to frustrate her until she stuttered, "Ipad not work, Ipad not work, does not compute" then watched as she crashed to the ground with sparks fizzing from her ears, and her hair catching fire.

Funny, what an awesome sight that would be :)

oops. I'm not a Gambler -

35 years with computers - succesful internet company - SEO etc etc...

I just wanted her to switch it ON! Do a run-through.

I didn't meed to disclose my personal details or be watched, imputing ANY details.

I'm not an Apple Geek.

Now it's still in the box - F Apple training.

PS EVERY computer "maker" is now making a touch screen that can be used by a MAN

Give the customer what THEY Want, Need... and Now Demand!

Might as well have bought a "2nd hand" one - down the market

Good bye Apple

(First time Apple user!)

Ipads/iphones do need to be set up first time they are turned on, and if you don't have an apple account it does indeed go into the whole account setup thing with cc details (while technically optional, Apple obviously presumes that you want to set it up for appstore/itunes purchases).
This setup is straightforward, but there are plenty of luddites out there who would still get confused somehow and need to be guided through it, so my money is on that girl just being overly cautious.

In my experience the staff at those authorized seller stores is pretty reasonable.