Thai Health Ministry gears up for dengue fever prevention

webfact

Health Ministry gears up for dengue fever prevention
By Digital Content

14019605751029.jpg

BANGKOK, June 6 -- Thailand's Health Service Support Department (HSS) under the Ministry of Public Health is mobilising village health volunteers to help local residents destroy the breeding grounds of common house mosquitoes to prevent dengue fever.

Four patients have already died from the disease since the beginning of the year.

HSS director general Dr Boonruang Triruangworawat said a public health report showed that from January 1 to May 27, 6,897 Thais have been diagnosed with dengue fever, four of whom died from the disease.

The province with the most dengue patients was Bangkok, with 1,218 cases recorded, followed by Nakhon Sri Thammarat with 265 patients, Songkhla with 257 patients, Samut Prakan with 248 cases and Chon Buri with 207 cases.

Most dengue fever are found during the rainy season, between June and September, as rainfall causes an increased number of stagnant water locations, the common place for house mosquitoes to breed.

Additionally the Health Service Support Department has assigned village health workers to do inspections and provide residents with proper instructions of how to prevent infection from dengue fever infection, particularly in schools, hospitals and homes.

The health volunteers would also join with local residents to eradicate the breeding grounds of common house mosquitoes in their villages.

The department recommended that for further prevention against dengue fever, the public should sleep inside mosquito nets, install wire nets, and apply mosquito repellent on the bodies.

In the meantime, children should be told not to play in dark and damp areas, and classrooms and offices should have enough sunlight and sufficient room for air to flow through. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-06

Hope they follow thru in villages like Jomtien. I've gotten it twice while living here (lucky me!). Don't think I was added as statistic as I didn't go to hospital. Prefer to die at home.

Wow! Your luck is statistically more unlucky than you might guess. Dengue fever survivors have pretty much immunity- to the specific dengue virus that infected them. There are more than one. So, if your the statistically unlucky fellow to get this, and then get it a second time, it's likely it was a different variant of the virus. Kinda makes you take a deep breath. The odds are... (Suck in math- you get the point).

Since your up and writing perhaps your not so unlucky after all. But the discomfort must hv been awful. Hats off to you.

:-)

Hope they follow thru in villages like Jomtien. I've gotten it twice while living here (lucky me!). Don't think I was added as statistic as I didn't go to hospital. Prefer to die at home.

Wow! Your luck is statistically more unlucky than you might guess. Dengue fever survivors have pretty much immunity- to the specific dengue virus that infected them. There are more than one. So, if your the statistically unlucky fellow to get this, and then get it a second time, it's likely it was a different variant of the virus. Kinda makes you take a deep breath. The odds are... (Suck in math- you get the point).

Since your up and writing perhaps your not so unlucky after all. But the discomfort must hv been awful. Hats off to you.

There are five types of Dengue. If you have had one type you build resistance to that type usually for life,(If you survive). However, you become prone to contracting the other variants and subsequent infections can lead to serious illness. It can develop into Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever or Dengue Shock Syndrome and you really don't want that to happen at home! It makes no sense whatsoever to stay away from hospital. I know they saved my life.

I have also had it twice and I stayed close to Jomtien on the road from Pattaya. I also got Chikungungya fever which is 10 times worse than Dengue. You really don't want to sample that one. Obviously I don't stay at that hotel any more as they are not very careful about standing water. It is a breeding ground for the little barstewards. It is a pity really because other than the mosquito problem it is a very nice hotel.

Den

i have a friend 73 years just returnd from hospital dengue he was for 7 days in bkk hospital could barely open hid eyes high fever

as he is a heart pacient he takes asaflow makes the blood thinner lucky for him he had not the Hemorrhagic type

Edited by jeanpierre

I believe that last year there was some 70,000 reported cases in Thailand.

This campaign is a clear failure.

Haven't seen any spraying done in Pattaya for many years and I've had it once while living there. Yet I constantly see health warnings. All talk and no or little action.

TIT