For the love of bike ! Help me please

Hi guys,

Honda Phantom 200 cc 6 speed. Put new bearings last year. Got the brake disc checked.. ok. However, I am getting a slight shaking when driving at the front. When I take my hands of the handlebars, the bike shakes uncontrolably . Before, if I had to zip up, for example, I could take my hands off for a moment to zip up and the bike would hold true.

One Honda place says all is fine, a little shaking is normal (2 mechanics drove it) Another Honda dealer says the tyre is warped and needs to be replaced. So, who to believe ????

One other point. When I got the berrings changed front and back, the front centre wheel was weeping fluid (brake fluid or just oil when replaced the berring) It has been weeping continuously since then. (1 year now) Has stopped now but maybe there is no fluid left.

The tyre is losing 5 PSi every 3 days.

Thoughts please.

When you say bearings changed I am assuming you mean wheel bearing since you said front & back

What could now be your likely cause is steering bearings in the head of frame where your fork mounts.

A small check that may or may not show it to you is sitting on bike with engine off & in neutral

Hold front brake tight & try rock bike forward & back. If you detect any play then your steering bearings

But also you may not detect the play with this test & it is not conclusive they are good.

They may need changing ( not expensive ) Or maybe just adjustment

If not that then could also be out of balance front wheel

That could be a bad tire( separation ) or complete wheel balancing

As to your weeping fluids & tire that should be simple to fix eh?

Good Luck

Edited by mania

I have seen a few times how Thai mechanics replace a wheel bearing, and they use often a lot of brute force... For instance banging with a big screwdriver and large hammer on one side of the inside of the bearing can upset the wheel-hub. Depending on the wheel size one millimeter dis-formation at the hub can translate in a 10 millimeter at the rim. Of course your dis-formation doesn't even need to be 1mm it can be much smaller and still you feel it....

Without the right tools it can be pretty difficult to replace wheel bearing, and often will un-balance the wheel. If the wheel has any balance weights on it you can remove them and let shop rebalance your wheel(s). (Its not that expensive, especially because your Honda Phantom TA200 will not do hi-speeds)...

Edited by Richard-BKK

I think the tyre pressure loss here is the biggest clue. a 'little shaking' is definitely not normal, ignore the mechanics on that front.

On top of the responses above the wheel itself could be slightly twisted (causing air loss), not sure what wheels you have but spoked wheels can be respoked for about 1,000 baht, mag wheels would need replacing. Pursue the cause, good luck

I think the tyre pressure loss here is the biggest clue. a 'little shaking' is definitely not normal, ignore the mechanics on that front.

On top of the responses above the wheel itself could be slightly twisted (causing air loss), not sure what wheels you have but spoked wheels can be respoked for about 1,000 baht, mag wheels would need replacing. Pursue the cause, good luck

Spoked wheels are crap. Most likely explanation. Get a new set of mag wheels and tires even if it is not the problem you have made your bike safer and stronger.

• Like 1

Or just get modern & ditch the dinosour. They had their day. Unless your down on funds there are some awesome bikes out there now & the brakes always work & put a little excitement in your life. Just a thought!

• Like 1

It does sound like the problem is with the front wheel, and probably a result of the replacing of the wheel bearings. Rather than seeking a fix, I second the suggestion to get alloys. The classic look of the spoked wheels is cute, but it means more chance of deformed wheels and more tyre issues. Tubeless tyres are such a joy! You can top them up with air every few weeks, not every few days. The only advantage to spoked wheels is that they flex if you do a lot of off-road riding. Not likely to be a consideration for a Phantom.

One more point - find a good mechanic! There are some around who would never dream of coming up with BS about wheel shake being normal.

Thanks for all ur inputs guys.

Wheels are alloys. The shake has been a gradual thing. Started a little bit and now worse. Do you think the small leakages of oil when I replaced the bearings might be something. No lubrication inside so now causing this?

It is so difficult to find a good mechanic. The Honda ones are crap.

I may change the tyre and c if that fixes it. Gonna get a Dunlop.

When driving at speed I can feel it but not major. If I slow down and take my hands of the handle bars then the shakes are really strong. Strong enough to put me off the bike. What could it be?

Thanks.wai.gif

Thanks for all ur inputs guys.

Wheels are alloys. The shake has been a gradual thing. Started a little bit and now worse. Do you think the small leakages of oil when I replaced the bearings might be something. No lubrication inside so now causing this?

It is so difficult to find a good mechanic. The Honda ones are crap.

I may change the tyre and c if that fixes it. Gonna get a Dunlop.

When driving at speed I can feel it but not major. If I slow down and take my hands of the handle bars then the shakes are really strong. Strong enough to put me off the bike. What could it be?

Thanks.wai.gif

If the wheel and tire is good then the only other possibilities are the wheel bearing or the steering bearing. If you can support your bike some how hand turn the front wheel and check for any noise coming from the bearing or eccentric movement of the wheel. If that's ok shake the steering column up and down and forwards and backwards to see if there is any play in it. There should be zero.

If you live in Chiang Mai, PM me and I can tell you about one mechanic I have found who is a gem. There are others of course, as many of my friends tell me of the one's they have found and trust. But the guy I rely on for everything has such a good attitude towards diagnosing and repairing problems I can recommend him with no hesitation. He is totally honest, works a lot with big bikes & speaks good English. He also rides himself, it is a lifestyle not just a job for him.

The only downsides are: he lives out at Hang Dong; he charges about 50% more than most local mechanics; and he is often so busy you have to book a week in advance. He will interrupt on-going jobs for emergencies like a regular customer with a non-starter on the side of the road, but not for routine work.