Phuket Immigration swoop nets Nigerian, Cambodians, Indians and a Syrian

webfact

i would take another step,i would like to see a ''stop and frisk','police on thais and foriengers...call it ''profileing'' call it racism,call it what you want..it works..

How about calling it a police state? No, I will not be stopped, frisked or interrogated without just cause. If you don't mind this, go to the U.S.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Don't blame them for arresting the guys who have over stayed thier visas, as they are here illegally. ( where ever they come from ). They should do this more offen, as the ammount of foreigners here illegally is amazing.

I'm sure there are people staying in Thailand illegally as there are in lots of other countries.

But, how do you know the amount is "amazing"? Where did you get the amount from and what constitutes amazing in your view?

I was going to ask him that too, but then I rememberd how angry the right-wingers here become if anyone questions their authority. That's also when they start shouitng 'laws are laws' like mommy's little helper. But then go look at the other threads where they let more out about themselves, and you get a glimpse of how intelligent and authoritarian they really are.

A man after my own heart - my sentiment EXACTLY .... nice to see I'm not alone ......

• Like 1

nigerians? i see one.

so they've arrested some taylors / suit salesmen, some street vendors,

and im sure that's my favorite kebab cart guy? sad.png the big guy near the end...

cant get bigger fish than these through some basic intel..?

great dragnet / swoopnet" operation boys lol...but do be careful not to net any dolfins pleez.

Phuket Immigration swoop nets Nigerian, Cambodians, Indians and a Syrian.

That help?

And your stereotyping is appalling...

i would take another step,i would like to see a ''stop and frisk','police on thais and foriengers...call it ''profileing'' call it racism,call it what you want..it works..

Usually, the "stop and frisk" results in your wallet being handed back to you, empty.

You could call it "profiling" or "racism" but many times it's simply called, "robbery." :)

• Like 1

I Don't blame them for arresting the guys who have over stayed thier visas, as they are here illegally. ( where ever they come from ). They should do this more offen, as the ammount of foreigners here illegally is amazing.

I'm sure there are people staying in Thailand illegally as there are in lots of other countries.

But, how do you know the amount is "amazing"? Where did you get the amount from and what constitutes amazing in your view?

I was going to ask him that too, but then I rememberd how angry the right-wingers here become if anyone questions their authority. That's also when they start shouitng 'laws are laws' like mommy's little helper. But then go look at the other threads where they let more out about themselves, and you get a glimpse of how intelligent and authoritarian they really are.

Take alook at the stats! over 1 million foreigners that came through the airport and did not leave when they should have done. I seems that people like you don't care if others are illegal or not

Edited by lee b

brave work but what about arresting a jet ski scammer for a change?

I don't know where comments like this come from.

These are the immigration branch who concentrate on that matter alone.

Would you expect a PC in the mounted branch in London to get on a boat and check for stolen boats with his horse, or someone in the CID deployed in a riot.

Jet- ski scammers are not their remit.

• Like 1

Who are they??The ones sitting or the ones standing??Nobody pointing? What outfit is this??

Oh, please, please, let me guess.

From stage right, the first three are the twenty-something Indians, the one in the ball cap is the Nigerian, the little one next to him the Syrian, and the two seated against the wall are the Cambodians.

I suspect the other four, at the left end of the table, were already sitting there when the photo-op was staged.

The men standing are probably police/officials, they have id-cards around their necks.

Take alook at the stats! over 1 million foreigners that came through the airport and did not leave when they should have done. I seems that people like you don't care if others are illegal or not

No, it's that I don't judge them all across the board as being people who's suffering or fear I hope to read about and enjoy. And when I do read about them, I try to remember that I have no idea what those people are about, and remember many wonderful people I've met around the world who were in some way or another a 'foreigner' or even a (so called) 'bad guy' to someone else. Everyone is someone else's 'bad guy', including yoy. It seems actually, that 'people like me' are trying to be more intelligent and understanding about how complex the world really is, and recognize that many times it's completely outside of what we can imagine ourselves from over the internet.

Of course, Thailand has it's laws. And Thaialnd should be respected by people who come here. No one should be going anywhere to hurt, or steal, or take advantage of other people. What bothers me, are 'people like you', who judge others so harshly in a news story, having zero (yes, zero) understanding of who those people even are, or what they do, or why they were here. I find it shameful when you do. Sorry, but I do.

Edited by John1thru10

I know that I just get annoyed and want to make fun of certain posters, who approach all these news stories with an attitude of 'good!' For a lot of reasons. If it's a story about someone who has clearly and undeniably doing something awful - like a child molester, or stealing from ATMS, the whole lot - then yes, good. Don't let that person hurt people in Thailand or anywhere.

But when it's just random faces and nationalities, that is simply not enough evidence to be judging anyone. Period. Over their visa or not. And that's what most posters here seem to do. They delight in the suffering those people will go through, and it's a way of trying to feel more legitimate ones self. But not a respectable way.

Naturally, Thailand has visa rules. And it's not a foreigners place to argue about what they are. Including me, and you.

But the attitudes about visa in Thailand has changed dramatically in recent years. There are naturally going to be people who were in earlier times welcomed in with open arms - myself included there. And naturally developed a life in a place that welcomed them. We know these aren't new laws, but even top (pressumably respected) officials advised handing visas in exactly the ways that are now villified. Ok, they can do that. But of course there are a LOT of people now trapped because of that. I NO, I did NOT say they should all be allowed to stay forever. It's that they deserve more understanding than 'good!'.

And usually, when you point it out to those people who's attitudes are that unthinking, they suddenly pretend they are the civil one, and quote teacher's pet excuses about how technically someone else is 'illegal', and then pound their chest and start using the word 'mate' too much. Life is so much more complicated than that, and if you can only think to enjoy other peoples suffering, then just go back home yourself.

I know that I just get annoyed and want to make fun of certain posters, who approach all these news stories with an attitude of 'good!' For a lot of reasons. If it's a story about someone who has clearly and undeniably doing something awful - like a child molester, or stealing from ATMS, the whole lot - then yes, good. Don't let that person hurt people in Thailand or anywhere.

But when it's just random faces and nationalities, that is simply not enough evidence to be judging anyone. Period. Over their visa or not. And that's what most posters here seem to do. They delight in the suffering those people will go through, and it's a way of trying to feel more legitimate ones self. But not a respectable way.

Naturally, Thailand has visa rules. And it's not a foreigners place to argue about what they are. Including me, and you.

But the attitudes about visa in Thailand has changed dramatically in recent years. There are naturally going to be people who were in earlier times welcomed in with open arms - myself included there. And naturally developed a life in a place that welcomed them. We know these aren't new laws, but even top (pressumably respected) officials advised handing visas in exactly the ways that are now villified. Ok, they can do that. But of course there are a LOT of people now trapped because of that. I NO, I did NOT say they should all be allowed to stay forever. It's that they deserve more understanding than 'good!'.

And usually, when you point it out to those people who's attitudes are that unthinking, they suddenly pretend they are the civil one, and quote teacher's pet excuses about how technically someone else is 'illegal', and then pound their chest and start using the word 'mate' too much. Life is so much more complicated than that, and if you can only think to enjoy other peoples suffering, then just go back home yourself.

The problem John with your view is that you would have a tsunami of illegals.

All very well to have a bleeding heart but there IS a big price to pay if you ignore those that should not be in any country illegally.

Beggars?

What benefit and good do they bring to any country? Maybe you could enlighten me?

• Like 1

I don't think it has anything to do with suffering of other human beings, I would think most people would prefer it if others were not to suffer.

But it does have to do with 1 simple fact: they were illegal, and action has been taken, which in many people's book is a good thing. Especially in this case, where no fellow farang are involved.

All very well to have a bleeding heart but there IS a big price to pay if you ignore those that should not be in any country illegally.

Beggars?

What benefit and good do they bring to any country? Maybe you could enlighten me?

Ok, I can try to enighten you. I know exactly how many illegals that would entail, in any country at any time in history. The answer, to be very specific, is exactly the number that there ever have been - and in a majority of cases, those immigrants (legal or not at the begining) often benefit those countries greatly. And indidentally, I think 2 of them were beggars, if I read that corectly. And, I did NOT say they should be allowed to live anywhere forever - I condemned the attitude of condemning them by posters here, not by the Thai authorities. The problem with your view, is that you skipped over my statement, "Naturally, Thailand has visa rules. And it's not a foreigners place to argue about what they are. Including me, and you.", and went straight to calling me a 'bleeding heart', as if my goal is a country completely out of control. I have no idea of who these people are - at least a few of them were certainly just trying to support their families in whatever way they could. There are rules, and decent people break them sometimes. Those people will likely face an impossible situation in prison now, and we will forget all about that. And I am offended when I do see pampered farangs gloat about it - I don't know if you do, personally. But certainly a lot of people here do, and I think it's a really lowly kind of attitude to take. I feel badly for these people.

Edited by John1thru10

Carrying your passport at all times seems an invitation for passport snatchers. They can profile a person by height looks etc. knowing he has his passport in his pocket. I value my passport so much that I will leave it at home but carry a laminated copy, copy of all pages on my smart phone, Drivers licenses, club membership cards, bank cards, my hotel managers business card. What more do they need to at least give a bloke time to get his passport without being rude and detaining him? After all, a passport is made for identification at the borders not to identify oneself at a 7/11 or on the beach.

Edited by Jimbolai

Beggars?

Ok, I can try to enighten you. I know exactly how many illegals that would entail, in any country at any time in history. The answer, to be very specific, is exactly the number that there ever have been - and in a majority of cases, those immigrants (legal or not at the begining) often benefit those countries greatly. And indidentally, I think 2 of them were beggars, if I read that corectly. And, I did NOT say they should be allowed to live anywhere forever - I condemned the attitude of condemning them by posters here, not by the Thai authorities. The problem with your view, is that you skipped over my statement, "Naturally, Thailand has visa rules. And it's not a foreigners place to argue about what they are. Including me, and you.", and went straight to calling me a 'bleeding heart', as if my goal is a country completely out of control. I have no idea of who these people are - at least a few of them were certainly just trying to support their families in whatever way they could. There are rules, and decent people break them sometimes. Those people will likely face an impossible situation in prison now, and we will forget all about that. And I am offended when I do see pampered farangs gloat about it - I don't know if you do, personally. But certainly a lot of people here do, and I think it's a really lowly kind of attitude to take. I feel badly for these people.

I did read your post. And we are not arguing over what they are....more over what they are doing in Thailand.

Me? I have no sympathy for them. It is unlikely they will face prison and more likely deported to their own countries where they should try to make their living. Not on the streets of foreign countries.

• Like 2

Nigerian national Paul Chiboy Anasoh, 25, was arrested closed to Robinson in Phuket Town for having an expired permit to stay. He entered Thailand on September 24, 2012, and his permit to stay expired on December 22, 2013.

​And some people experience a lack of coke now. But he'll be replaced soon. Well, I prefer Archa anyways.

Wow, you got all that from Lee b using the word "amazing".

I think you are amazing,, sorry I mean clever.

So, begging illegally, I didn't realize you had to have a work permit to beg. Maybe the Thai police should print a list of "legal" beggars so we won't get in any trouble giving money to an illegal beggar.. whistling.gif

Well, seems pretty obvious to me. It's ok for Thais to beg... this country is their home by birth. But why are foreigners coming here to beg?? If you can't afford to stay here under your own steam, you shouldn't be here in the first place. Thailand is sovereign nation, not a charitable organisation. Also consider the fact the people have a 'charity ceiling'... they give so much money to a beggar (if they give any at all), that makes them feel good, and they don't give more money to the next 20 beggars they encounter that day. It's a zero-sum game: what one beggar gets is 'lost' to another. So if Mr Singh in Phuket benefits from some passerby's generosity, another hard-up Thai person (who could never afford to go to another country) is losing out...

Short answer: if you are inclined to give money to beggars, don't give it to foreigners (though, of course, it may not always be easy to tell, but a Nigerian, Indian, or Russian accent would be a clue)

nice sample of people who does not give a crack for the crackdown on border runs ... they just stay and work illegally until caught... how many more in this situation ? maybe all tourists should be RFID CHIPPED at arrival, so they can easely be radio tested on walking street and others ...

there is a solution which is the ignore prefs, makes the site much more readable, except it doesnt work. please moderators could you get someone to fix this?

• Like 1

The police knew exacly who they were looking for...

I walk in that area 5 days a week or so. Never been bothered by police.

Last week, I saw a police officer in old Phuket town showing pictures to taxi drivers, while I was walking by.. He never looked at me...