Texas GOP Platform Draft Endorses Gay Conversion Therapy

I want to see if they are willing to try and get the insurance companies and the Public Assistance programs to pay for the therapy. At least that would show some conviction to their beliefs, but I don't think that it has much to do with their true beliefs.

• Like 1

Yeah and the GOP are also advocating the legalization of medical marijuana in Texas too... This is what happens when the status quo has shifted sooooo far left that the right appears to be liberal...

I want to see if they are willing to try and get the insurance companies and the Public Assistance programs to pay for the therapy. At least that would show some conviction to their beliefs, but I don't think that it has much to do with their true beliefs.

Actually, I wouldn't want them to try, for fear that they succeed.

What I don't understand is that there are still people in the 21st century that think like they do. Just saw a documentary about the witch hunts (the real ones, not the anti-communist ones, which were just as bad). I also recently had a discussion about apartheid with a Thai friend, and it was clear the the US practiced this until sometime in the 1960s. Now Texans stick to anti-gay propaganda.

Nuff said.

• Like 1

I know I should read the whole article but who has the time.

I always suspected this from the Texans, I always thought they were overcompensating.

But I never knew that there was a therapy that would turn people gay.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

What I don't understand is that there are still people in the 21st century that think like they do. Just saw a documentary about the witch hunts (the real ones, not the anti-communist ones, which were just as bad). I also recently had a discussion about apartheid with a Thai friend, and it was clear the the US practiced this until sometime in the 1960s.

Racial discrimination was legal in the USA until the Civil Rights Act in 1964. I remember listening to a radio programme about the 1967 Stax tour of Europe. One of the band members (can't remember which one) said that London was amazing. It was the first time that they'd all been able to stay in the same hotel. Stax was a record company that had both black and white members in its bands.

• Like 1

I know I should read the whole article but who has the time.

I always suspected this from the Texans, I always thought they were overcompensating.

But I never knew that there was a therapy that would turn people gay.

What so they do? Lock people in a room, play Barry Manilow songs and show them pictures of Margaret Thatchertongue.png

LOL! cheesy.gif

What I don't understand is that there are still people in the 21st century that think like they do. Just saw a documentary about the witch hunts (the real ones, not the anti-communist ones, which were just as bad). I also recently had a discussion about apartheid with a Thai friend, and it was clear the the US practiced this until sometime in the 1960s.

Racial discrimination was legal in the USA until the Civil Rights Act in 1964. I remember listening to a radio programme about the 1967 Stax tour of Europe. One of the band members (can't remember which one) said that London was amazing. It was the first time that they'd all been able to stay in the same hotel. Stax was a record company that had both black and white members in its bands.

Europeans are colour-blind; fir us, Americans always came in two colours but they are all Americans first. I went into this gay bar in New York, and there were a lot of Americans in there (as expected). One of them approached me while I was still waiting for my beer and asked: "So you like black guys?" Only then did I notice that I was the only white guy there.

I don't know why Americans make such a big deal out of colour. I don't know why Americans make such a big deal out of sexual orientation.

Well, not all of them do. In fact, fewer and fewer do. There will be a minority of yesteryear-lovers for a while, but as we have seen with the witch-hunts, they will die out eventually.

What I don't understand is that there are still people in the 21st century that think like they do. Just saw a documentary about the witch hunts (the real ones, not the anti-communist ones, which were just as bad). I also recently had a discussion about apartheid with a Thai friend, and it was clear the the US practiced this until sometime in the 1960s. Now Texans stick to anti-gay propaganda.

Nuff said.

Well, if they want to put it on their platform, then be willing to pay for it. Along with that goes the general idea that they must convince the American Medical Association and the American Psychiatric Association to re-classify homosexuality as a diseased. I don't think that is going to happen. They might want to re-think something that isn't covered by insurance. As for the Public Assistance, the state can provide that from it's own coffers since they won't get any federal funding and we all know how much Texas likes to spend on welfare, especially welfare for single young men who would be able to work if it wasn't for this horrible disease that might need years and years of therapy to cure.

Go for Texas.

It just saddens me that politicians and religious leaders try to gain power and money by making the gay community a villan. I am pained for someone who is born gay into a family that believes this hate and does not support their son/daughter/sister/brother. I do feel optimistic that the world is beginning to understand and accept LGBT rights - but no one should face hate and/or jail or death or conversion therapy for who they are.

• Like 1

Please be merciful to these Cretans. Hopefully, they are in the final death throes of their existence.

They do not help their political party at all.

It seems to me that they're just doing it to have a go at Obama. They act like spoilt children. Mind you we've got a bunch in the UK that are exactly the same.

• Like 1

Please be merciful to these Cretans. Hopefully, they are in the final death throes of their existence.

They do not help their political party at all.

It seems to me that they're just doing it to have a go at Obama. They act like spoilt children. Mind you we've got a bunch in the UK that are exactly the same.

Isn't much politics like this these days? Don't stand up for what YOU believe in, stand up for the opposite to what the other chap believes in.

It's why so much politics is dysfunctional.

There will always be homophobes (at least as far ahead as I can see), and there will always be idiots who use it as a political platform.

• Like 1

I think many politicians advocate what appeals to their base in public to get or stay elected but that advocacy has nothing to do with their true belief or orientation.

Take Dick Cheny who became a same sex believer magically after leaving office. There are so many examples.

Accordingly, political rhetoric is just that, not to be believed and certainly not a window into the politicians soul.

Personally, I think they should be rounded up and taken to the airport and given a choice between their favorite African Country or Russia.

Or Siberia, of course. A tried and tested way to handle critics.

The other way is the democratic way: Dialogue. Dialogue is the reason why the LGBT movement has come to where it is now.

Sent from my A 8+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Personally, I think their mouths could serve a better purpose than speaking.

The groups you are talking about are very hateful people and I doubt that dialogue would work; in theory it should, but in reality, it doesn't.

• Like 1

Texas Governor compares homosexuality to alcoholism

Texas Governor Rick Perry has suggested people can ‘choose’ to be gay in the same way you can ‘choose’ not to be an alcoholic.

He made the remarks on Wednesday evening during a visit to the Commonwealth Club of California – just days after the Texas Republican Convention announced its support for gay-to-straight conversion therapy.

The Associated Press reports Mr Perry said he did not know whether the widely-discredited therapy worked, but then claimed gay people had the ability to avoid their “lifestyle”.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/06/12/texas-governor-compares-homosexuality-to-alcoholism/

"Mr Perry said he did not know whether the widely-discredited therapy worked, but then claimed gay people had the ability to avoid their “lifestyle”.

As Mr. Perry has the "ability to avoid his "lifestyle". And I thought Texas prided itself on being the home of the "free". I frankly think Carl Rove got the radical right to believe the fallacious concept that if you tell a lie often enough, people will believe it.

Is there any chance that Governor Perry can choose to stop being a tw at?

Of course he can't. He's in Texas!

(And to all those Texans lurking around -- that was a joke. It's a lovely state, just not the most gay friendly place to be)

Texas Governor Rick Perry has suggested people can ‘choose’ to be gay in the same way you can ‘choose’ not to be an alcoholic.

He made the remarks on Wednesday evening during a visit to the Commonwealth Club of California – just days after the Texas Republican Convention announced its support for gay-to-straight conversion therapy.

The Associated Press reports Mr Perry said he did not know whether the widely-discredited therapy worked, but then claimed gay people had the ability to avoid their “lifestyle”.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/06/12/texas-governor-compares-homosexuality-to-alcoholism/

Interesting. So, what does he know about alcoholism? He seems to be an expert in it. In addition to being an expert in homosexuality.

We do know that the most vehement homophobes are very much interested in this discussion because - well, a straight man wouldn't care either way, would he? A closet-gay would be afraid of gay liberation because he would be afraid of himself. Either of the feelings he might have for other males, or he is a practicing homosexual and is afraid of being outed. He wouldn't be the first anyway.

Interesting. So, what does he know about alcoholism? He seems to be an expert in it. In addition to being an expert in homosexuality.

We do know that the most vehement homophobes are very much interested in this discussion because - well, a straight man wouldn't care either way, would he? A closet-gay would be afraid of gay liberation because he would be afraid of himself. Either of the feelings he might have for other males, or he is a practicing homosexual and is afraid of being outed. He wouldn't be the first anyway.

My goodness, it's not all that complicated. He's a Republican, they are second only to televangelists for getting caught with a rent boy or playing around in the men's toilet at airports.

• Like 2

My goodness, it's not all that complicated. He's a Republican, they are second only to televangelists for getting caught with a rent boy or playing around in the men's toilet at airports.

Apparently God makes them do it.

• Like 1

And that's the difference between a liberal and conservative. The Conservatives think God made them do it and the Liberals think the Devil made them do it.

Anything so I don't have to accept responsibility for my own behavior!