Bangkok to Clarke, Angeles

There have been clean up activities taking place in Angeles City this year making the atmosphere very different, including the recent widely reported arrest/transport to Manila and detention of bar customers, that may be leading to some previous travelers flying to different locations.

For the specific Bangkok leg suspect the months of security warnings have not played a positive role for travel either.

There have been clean up activities taking place in Angeles City this year making the atmosphere very different, including the recent widely reported arrest/transport to Manila and detention of bar customers, that may be leading to some previous travelers flying to different locations.

For the specific Bangkok leg suspect the months of security warnings have not played a positive role for travel either.

A ton of awesome WW2 wrecks to dive in Subic, but yes, have been informed that AC itself has a lot of current Police state problems. Lots of nicer places in PI anyway, fly into Manila and pick one, Palawan, Bohol, Boracay etc.

Cebu Pacific stopped flying from Bangkok to Clark last year, leaving Tiger as the only airline on the route. Then earlier this year Cebu Pacific bought the Filipino operations of Tiger. Initially they leased aircraft from Tiger and continued flying on all of the tiger routes...but the aircraft are due to be returned to Tiger and Cebu Pacific has to decide which routes it will continue using its own aircraft. I guess they have decided to stop against.

1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif"detention of bar customers"? for what? drunken drving? indoor smoking? prostitution?hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

According to some things I read on another site, who ever runs Clark Airport increased the cost of something by up to 400%. Consensus was that it was either the landing fees or the fuel tax/surcharge. So that is supposedly the main reason the airlines all bailed on that airport. Other thing is that most people are going to Manila so Clark is not very good for that. You are still looking at 2 hours on a congested highway most times of the day.

Edited by lapd

1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif"detention of bar customers"? for what? drunken drving? indoor smoking? prostitution?hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

Yes, I have heard this many times, from many different forum users. The police there run a dozen different extortion schemes and are notorious for busting foreigners. It appears that the heyday of AC is in the past? Anyone been there recently who can report on current status? Seems a shame. What a place. Pattaya times ten!

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...

AC =

guns

criminals

many Korean male tourists

bad food

Worse than Manila, and I didn't think that was possible.

Yes, I have been to both.

AC is the only place why I have been both ripped off by a foreigner (big time) and had two attempted robberies. And I have been to every Asian country except Brunei, Pakistan, North Korea, Macau and Sri Lanka

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to some things I read on another site, who ever runs Clark Airport increased the cost of something by up to 400%. Consensus was that it was either the landing fees or the fuel tax/surcharge. So that is supposedly the main reason the airlines all bailed on that airport. Other thing is that most people are going to Manila so Clark is not very good for that. You are still looking at 2 hours on a congested highway most times of the day.

The airlines were using duty-free fuel. Between that and corruption problems, the airlines dropped Clark. Clark was also where the problems was with girls being denied ability to the leave the PI.

Subic (actually Barrio Brretto in Olongapo City) is great, much better than Angeles. Friendlier, inexpensive, more honest, fewer problems, plus beach and diving.