Best place for a multiple entry non-O based on marriage?

I think I've finally got this figured out ! Joe, how many times can you get a non O visa based on marriage? (Multiple entry) And how many extensions do you get for each one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There is no limit to either one.

With the the multiple entry visa there might become a point where an immigration officer might ask why you are making so many entries. They are not intended for a person to live here on them. They are meant to be for visits to your family,

I can understand people not having the financial proof getting the visa or those that are working outside the country on a rotation getting them.

But the excuse of not wanting to deal with immigration to get an extension just makes no sense to me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine in Ireland and the only documentation required was my birth cert my id card and marriage cert. my sons birth cert.( all copies). I posted my

passport on a Wensday and it was back with visa on Friday.

Just on a separate question I enquired about a non o marriage visa in an immigration office down south and he insisted on seeing 800k in my

bank account. He also told retirement better less paper. Do they know the rules or is it up to each branch to interpret them selves .

For an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage Thai lady or having a Thai the child the requirements are 400k baht in a Thai bank or income of 40k baht.

For retirement it is 800k baht or 65k baht income or a combination ot the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Local immigration offices can request additional documents. They cannot change the financial requirements.

Ah yes, point taken but an "o" type multiple entry VISA based on marriage is a visa as the name would infer, not an extension of stay and at Savannakhet where I was a mere 2 weeks ago they DO NOT require any financial proof or documents thereof at all, just sayin and tryin to help some members out thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the information. Thats why I asked about the money maybe they are just too lazy to check and one size fits all mentality. I did not push it as I was just inquiring at the time. But the guy that I was dealing with asked his boss and he said 800k and than asked my wife was she willing to support me when I was in Thailand of course she said yes with the own falangs money .

• Like 1

I think I've finally got this figured out ! Joe, how many times can you get a non O visa based on marriage? (Multiple entry) And how many extensions do you get for each one ?

I don't think you have this figured out at all you only need a single entry non o based on marriage which is 90 days and just before that expires you go to immigration to get an extension, what you are doing is NOT extending your visa that has finished once you entered the country what you are doing is extending your permission to stay for 365days

I got mine in Ireland and the only documentation required was my birth cert my id card and marriage cert. my sons birth cert.( all copies). I posted my

Just on a separate question I enquired about a non o marriage visa in an immigration office down south and he insisted on seeing 800k in my

bank account. He also told retirement better less paper. Do they know the rules or is it up to each branch to interpret them selves .

For an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage Thai lady or having a Thai the child the requirements are 400k baht in a Thai bank or income of 40k baht.

For retirement it is 800k baht or 65k baht income or a combination ot the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Local immigration offices can request additional documents. They cannot change the financial requirements.

Ah yes, point taken but an "o" type multiple entry VISA based on marriage is a visa as the name would infer, not an extension of stay and at Savannakhet where I was a mere 2 weeks ago they DO NOT require any financial proof or documents thereof at all, just sayin and tryin to help some members out thumbsup.gif

Blowin is asking about an Extension although he states incorrectly a Marriage visa, there is no such thing, it is a Non O based on marriage, and joe is stating correctly the money require to get one, most immigration offices would prefer to issue a non O based on retirement, as it can be done in one day less paperwork and most importantly the paperwork does not have to go the Bangkok or the main district office, that is the reason why they like to push the retirement, VISA"S can not be issued in Thailand Extensions of stay can, lots of people get this mixed up, it is bet to try and learn the correct terminology so people can understand what you are talking about and you will get the correct answer.

I am quite happy for you to so readily jump in to stick up for Joe but before we get too far off topic the OP's original question was where was the best place to get an "o" type multiple entry visa. Which you can get based on marriage or what was that full page f@%k off sticker they just put in my passport they says multiple entry visa? I have total comprehension of the terminology and the OP's question perhaps you don't?

Blowin is asking about an Extension although he states incorrectly a Marriage visa, there is no such thing, it is a Non O based on marriage, and joe is stating correctly the money require to get one, most immigration offices would prefer to issue a non O based on retirement, as it can be done in one day less paperwork and most importantly the paperwork does not have to go the Bangkok or the main district office, that is the reason why they like to push the retirement, VISA"S can not be issued in Thailand Extensions of stay can, lots of people get this mixed up, it is bet to try and learn the correct terminology so people can understand what you are talking about and you will get the correct answer.

That is correct sorry about the way I worded it.

I have done 6 extensions of stay based upon marriage and have not found them to be a that big a deal to do. Just a few documents that you may already have on hand and a couple of photos.

To me it is much better than having to make border runs every 90 days and having to make a trip every year to an embassy or consulate for a new visa,

There is also the extra costs of maintaining a non-o multiple entry visa. Just 1900 baht for the extension verses 5000 baht for the visa is significant. Then if you add in costs for border runs and the the trip out for the visa. It becomes a substantial difference in costs.

Again very true but for most of us you get the "o" visa before you get the spouse visa it is the first step in the process. Then after that, as you say, you get the spouse "visa" or extension of stay if you prefer which only needs to be renewed once a year in your local amphur. Some members may even wish to go down that road and pay the extra 3 thousand baht as opposed to going to Bangkok and providing a raft of unnecessary documents to a pompous official. In particular those of us that have the means and ability to leave Thailand every 90 days or maybe due to work or other commitments do so anyway. No one ever said anything about maintaining it the OP's original question was where was the best place to gain a multiple "o" based on marriage? I believe wai2.gif

This is incorrect (but for most of us you get the "o" visa before you get the spouse visa it is the first step in the process) there is no such thing as a spouse visa you will get a Non o Visa based on marriage then you can get if you wish a extension of stay which is NOT a visa, I don't think you know the correct terminology by you post learn the correct terminology. oh and by the way I am a long term member and can "jump in" anytime and there is no way am I trying to protect joe he just happens to be right end of story

Edited by MikeandDow

I have done 6 extensions of stay based upon marriage and have not found them to be a that big a deal to do. Just a few documents that you may already have on hand and a couple of photos.

To me it is much better than having to make border runs every 90 days and having to make a trip every year to an embassy or consulate for a new visa,

There is also the extra costs of maintaining a non-o multiple entry visa. Just 1900 baht for the extension verses 5000 baht for the visa is significant. Then if you add in costs for border runs and the the trip out for the visa. It becomes a substantial difference in costs.

Again very true but for most of us you get the "o" visa before you get the spouse visa it is the first step in the process. Then after that, as you say, you get the spouse "visa" or extension of stay if you prefer which only needs to be renewed once a year in your local amphur. Some members may even wish to go down that road and pay the extra 3 thousand baht as opposed to going to Bangkok and providing a raft of unnecessary documents to a pompous official. In particular those of us that have the means and ability to leave Thailand every 90 days or maybe due to work or other commitments do so anyway. No one ever said anything about maintaining it the OP's original question was where was the best place to gain a multiple "o" based on marriage? I believe wai2.gif

This is incorrect (but for most of us you get the "o" visa before you get the spouse visa it is the first step in the process) there is no such thing as a spouse visa you will get a Non o Visa based on marriage then you can get if you wish a extension of stay which is NOT a visa learn the correct terminology.

This is doing my head in! Last post for clarity. The OP's question was about multiple entry "o" visa's which I replied to. You may or may not have noticed in the above reply my use of exclamation marks above the word "visa" when I was speaking of a spouse, ready now? "visa" which is what many incorrectly call it (but is in common usage) and you may have noticed directly after that I addressed it by it's proper name which is an extension of stay. So again I am fully comprehensive of the terminology involved and have addressed the OP's question to the best of my ability but again we have have fallen into the anal, nit picking, off topic banter that seems to pervade TV. Have a good day....

• Like 1

That is correct sorry about the way I worded it.

no problems the best way to go is get an extension you need 400 they will try and steer you to retirement asked me many time just told the no thank you I want to go 400 marriage extension they might keep you hanging on for an hour or 2 but did not care had allocated a day for all the crap

• Like 1

This is incorrect (but for most of us you get the "o" visa before you get the spouse visa it is the first step in the process) there is no such thing as a spouse visa you will get a Non o Visa based on marriage then you can get if you wish a extension of stay which is NOT a visa learn the correct terminology.

This is doing my head in! Last post for clarity. The OP's question was about multiple entry "o" visa's which I replied to. You may or may not have noticed in the above reply my use of exclamation marks above the word "visa" when I was speaking of a spouse, ready now? "visa" which is what many incorrectly call it (but is in common usage) and you may have noticed directly after that I addressed it by it's proper name which is an extension of stay. So again I am fully comprehensive of the terminology involved and have addressed the OP's question to the best of my ability but again we have have fallen into the anal, nit picking, off topic banter that seems to pervade TV. Have a good day....

FYI extensions of stay and visa's are totally different and no way you are fully conversant with the correct terminology you may think you are !!

I don't think you have this figured out at all you only need a single entry non o based on marriage which is 90 days and just before that expires you go to immigration to get an extension, what you are doing is NOT extending your visa that has finished once you entered the country what you are doing is extending your permission to stay for 365days

I mean use the multiple entry non O for the year then do the extension when the dust has settled, so I believe I do have this figured out.

• Like 1

FYI extensions of stay and visa's are totally different and no way you are fully conversant with the correct terminology you may think you are !!

Once again I have answered the OP's question which was about multiple entry "o" type visa's. I don't need you to explain the difference between a visa and extension of stay. I was pointing out that many call the extension of stay due to marriage a marriage "visa" which has nothing to do with the original topic which was about multiple entry "o" type visa's due to marriage coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I mean use the multiple entry non O for the year then do the extension when the dust has settled, so I believe I do have this figured out.

that is correct it means doing 90 runs going out of the country and back, at this time don't know what's going to happen but you will have a visa, the end of this you can get an extension if you have paperwork and money seasoned for 2 months

that is correct it means doing 90 runs going out of the country and back, at this time don't know what's going to happen but you will have a visa, the end of this you can get an extension if you have paperwork and money seasoned for 2 months

That's my plan....

You can drive by car to the border,no problem at all and you can park your car just at the border,on the left hand side,where the Savan Vegas Hotel has an office and if you stay in their hotel,you get free roundtrip transfer from the border to the hotel.

In Savannaket the Thai Consulate is really the easiest way to get your Non O marriage Visa

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses, even the slightly off topic ones :)

I had researched this, and was aware of the differences between extension and non-o visas. I also had seen that Savannakhet was recommended, I just wondered if there were other options. For anyone else in the same situation, I've spoken to then Chiang Mai immigration office and some friends, and here are the options I seem to have (I'm in Chiang Mai):

1. Savannakhet,

- MULTI entry non o

- No financial information required,

- Not that convenient to get to from Chiang Mai

2. Bangkok

- Convert/exchange tourist visa to a single entry non-o.

- I would have to supply a bunch of financial information

- I would have to wait, or return sometime in an unknown 3days-1week perido to pick up the new visa

- It would be single entry, so I'd need a re-entry permit to leave the country and come back

- Bangkok is much easier to travel to

3. KL

- Can probably get a cheap air asia flight (new sale on tomorrow I think)

- I'd need to supply the needed financial information,

- I'd probably get a multi-entry non-o

- I'd probably need to stay a few nights to get it all sorted

I think all of these options are viable right now. I'll just pick one.

Thanks for all the help!

How about Singapore? I need to renew my drivers licence so will get a visa based on marriage. I just turned 50 so maybe it is easier to get a retirement visa. All my money is in Jersey, Singapore and HK. Last time I got one(O based on marriage) in Singapore it was very easy, I showed marriage cert and Singapore bank account all no problems. Anyone know if it is still the same?

As long as you have 15 days remaining on your tourist visa you can apply for a non O marriage visa ar you local immigration office bit of running around involved but it is the same paperwork thats needed at a consulate. if i remember rightly you need following

Marriage certificate

freedom to marry affirmation which has been translated and notarised

letter from Thai bank and copy of bank book (taken day of visit) showing required income) or letter from embassy if your income comes from outside Thailand

immigration forms

on our original application took copies of family and friends id card which they wrote a declaration that they knew we were married and living as a couple

Photos of you and wife sitting on bed in your room, standing outside the house

map of house location

fee

takes about a month including a home visit

Times may have changed andydarth, but Oz used to be quite good for 1 year visa--especially Brisbane, if you can show some connection, i.e Marriage certif + funds.

Maybe someone will let us know if its still the same & you can juggle the dates around for the visit there.

Last year I obtained a 1 year multiple entry O visa for $225 at the Thai Consulate in Brisbane. Required them seeing the original of my marriage certificate, house document (tabien baan), and a signed copy of my wife's driver's licence. No bank account balance required. Application and issuance of visa took less than an hour.

How about Singapore? I need to renew my drivers licence so will get a visa based on marriage. I just turned 50 so maybe it is easier to get a retirement visa. All my money is in Jersey, Singapore and HK. Last time I got one(O based on marriage) in Singapore it was very easy, I showed marriage cert and Singapore bank account all no problems. Anyone know if it is still the same?

If you at least 400k baht in the bank you might get a multiple entry non-o there. It could depend upon the mood of the consular office on the day you apply, There is no consistency in their decisions to accept an application or not.

As long as you have 15 days remaining on your tourist visa you can apply for a non O marriage visa ar you local immigration office bit of running around involved but it is the same paperwork thats needed at a consulate. if i remember rightly you need following

<snip>

A conversion can only be done at Bangkok immigration to obtain a non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage. It will more than likely require two trips to immigration because they normally give a 15 day under consideration stamp before doing the visa/entry stamps.

Unless a person lives in or near Bangkok it is best to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to obtain a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

Oh and the extension of stay how long is it good for? can you have multiple entries? I work offshore so in and out every month.

An extension of stay based upon marriage is valid for a year. You can get a multiple re-enter permit after getting the extension.

If working outside the country on a rotation it can be difficult to get an extension because of the timing to get the extension.

You must first have a non-o visa entry and cannot apply for the extension until the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you would get from the visa. A single re-entry permit would resolve this part of the problem.

Then when you apply for the extension of stay you are given a under consideration stamp with a report date 30 days from either the date you apply or the date your current permit to stay ends (varies from office to office). You can then get a single entry re-entry permit valid up to the report back date.

For most of those on a rotation the multiple entry non-o visa is the best option.

best to check consulates web page as i know UK used to be a easy option also for retirement visa etc but as of few months ago UK consulates can no longer issue non O visa's on the same day as they now have to send documents to Thai embassy in London for approval so your documents need to be spot on not sure about other countries but would imagine most will be same either now or very soon

and as for my previous post

also need wifes blue house book

copy of her ID card

and she needs to be in attendance unless you have a yellow book for the house

best to check consulates web page as i know UK used to be a easy option also for retirement visa etc but as of few months ago UK consulates can no longer issue non O visa's on the same day as they now have to send documents to Thai embassy in London for approval so your documents need to be spot on not sure about other countries but would imagine most will be same either now or very soon

and as for my previous post

also need wifes blue house book

copy of her ID card

and she needs to be in attendance unless you have a yellow book for the house

If you are still writing about getting an extension of stay or a conversion. Your wife has to be with you.

Having a yellow house book changes nothing for the process of getting the extension.

You wife has to be present to do the statement..

Why can't the OP get his non O based on marriage in Chiang Mai? That's where I was planning to go and do it.......

Is the only place to do this in Savannakhet then?

"Why can't the OP get his non O based on marriage in Chiang Mai? "

You can't get visas inside Thailand. They are only issued by Thai embassies and consulates outside of Thalland.

You are probably talking about getting an extension of stay based on marriage at immigrations in Chiang Mai. That is an extension of stay, it is not a visa and it is not an extension of a non-O visa.

If you entered the country on a Non-O originally, that visa has expired and you are staying in the country based on the extensions of stay issued by Immigrations.

Confused.

As a Brit, 2 years ago I entered on a 30 day tourist visa waiver.

In CM before it expired I got a 90 day non O at immigration.

Before it expired I got the 1 year retirement extension, showing 800Kb with a letter from the Brit Consulate. I had a single re-entry permit, all I needed, no border runs, only 90 day reports.

Is it different for other nationalities?

Presumably the OP would request the extension for reasons of marriage rather than retirement.

Only 400Kb, can have a WP if required but more hassle to get, on application gets 30 days provisional, all docs to "Head Office" for approval and then the remaining 11 months permission to stay?

Oh and the extension of stay how long is it good for? can you have multiple entries? I work offshore so in and out every month.

An extension of stay based upon marriage is valid for a year. You can get a multiple re-enter permit after getting the extension.

If working outside the country on a rotation it can be difficult to get an extension because of the timing to get the extension.

You must first have a non-o visa entry and cannot apply for the extension until the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you would get from the visa. A single re-entry permit would resolve this part of the problem.

Then when you apply for the extension of stay you are given a under consideration stamp with a report date 30 days from either the date you apply or the date your current permit to stay ends (varies from office to office). You can then get a single entry re-entry permit valid up to the report back date.

For most of those on a rotation the multiple entry non-o visa is the best option.

Some immigration offices allow 45 bays EDIT: days (even LOL) before expiry for your extension application.

CM allows from 45 days.

I did this in mid March for a near end April 90 day Non O visa.

The extra time flexibility might be helpful, best to ask at your immigration office, or this forum for your particular office.

Edited by laislica

Why can't the OP get his non O based on marriage in Chiang Mai? That's where I was planning to go and do it.......

You can't get visas inside Thailand. They are only issued by Thai embassies and consulates outside of Thalland.

You are probably talking about getting an extension of stay based on marriage at immigrations in Chiang Mai. That is an extension of stay, it is not a visa and it is not an extension of a non-O visa.

If you entered the country on a Non-O originally, that visa has expired and you are staying in the country based on the extensions of stay issued by Immigrations.

Confused.

Before it expired I got the 1 year retirement extension, showing 800Kb with a letter from the Brit Consulate. I had a single re-entry permit, all I needed, no border runs, only 90 day reports.

Presumably the OP would request the extension for reasons of marriage rather than retirement.

Only 400Kb, can have a WP if required but more hassle to get, on application gets 30 days provisional, all docs to "Head Office" for approval and then the remaining 11 months permission to stay?

For a conversion based upon qualifying for retirement you can do it at many of the larger offices. But one based upon marriage to a Thai (and most others) can only be done in Bangkok because the other offices are not authorized to do it.

Confused.

For a conversion based upon qualifying for retirement you can do it at many of the larger offices. But one based upon marriage to a Thai (and most others) can only be done in Bangkok because the other offices are not authorized to do it.

Sorry, I'm a slow learner.

I thought that one can apply at one's local immigration and they send all the docs to "Head Office" (Bangkok) for approval. Hence the 30 day provisional stamp.

Is this correct or does one have to visit BKK in person, with wife and other referees?

Confused.

Sorry, I'm a slow learner.

I thought that one can apply at one's local immigration and they send all the docs to "Head Office" (Bangkok) for approval. Hence the 30 day provisional stamp.

Is this correct or does one have to visit BKK in person, with wife and other referees?

I was writing about doing a conversion from a tourist visa or exempt entry to a non immigrant visa which is what you said you did based upon retirement in CM. For those based upon marriage, work, attending school and etc they can only be done in Bangkok.

For an extension of stay based upon marriage there is a 30 day under consideration period while the application is being approved by the division headquarters that is over the office where you apply. . Not all of them go to Bangkok. Mine have all been approved at division 4 in Korat. Applications done in Chiang Mai should be done at the division 5 headquarters there.

• Like 1