Is what you pay for - what you get?

Kaymcdonnell

The "upper edge" is simply not holidaying or living here, and many are now realising that and going elsewhere.

Let us know how that works out for them. The scams I've seen in Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia etc. make the Thai hustlers look like good-hearted amateurs.

This is Phuket, not Thailnad. Totally different country. biggrin.png

I've been to all the countries you have mentioned. Did you know they all have metered taxis for tourists? biggrin.png

The "upper edge" is simply not holidaying or living here, and many are now realising that and going elsewhere.

Let us know how that works out for them. The scams I've seen in Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia etc. make the Thai hustlers look like good-hearted amateurs.

I've been to all the countries you have mentioned. Did you know they all have metered taxis for tourists? biggrin.png

Yeah they are great. My last trip to Ho Chi Minh resulting in me and the staff from the hotel I was staying in getting in a fight with the driver because he had rigged the meter to charge about 1000% of the official amount.

Far worse than anything I experienced here.

• Like 1

embarrassed by how many times i have been fooled.

Had to laugh at this statement...it describes me to a "T"...

Even when I prepare myself to do battle...and think I have held my own...when I get home...I think back at how easily I was duped into paying more than I need to again...555

Thanks for the posting...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

seems like some thais get extra face points in buddha heaven by screwing over farangs, and get to brag about it to their drinking buddies.

After I learned to speak/understand Thai I learned that Thais speak very bad and have no respect for anybody. Not just Farrang.

(I hear things in the BTS, busses that sometimes make me wish i had not learned the language)

Some Thais explained to me that if you get cheated it only mean they are better business men than you.

They explain to me that general Thais have two faces and a cheating heart.

Always expect them to try and cheat you unless they know that your are not a touristsad.png

When I moved to BKK everybody tried to cheat me, until they found out, that I lived in the local neighborhood.

The tourist do not care that they get cheated and the Thais only see your white skin and expect that you are just yet another

tourist with a big wallet facepalm.gif

wai.gif
Edited by Muggi1968
  • Like 1

Yeah they are great. My last trip to Ho Chi Minh resulting in me and the staff from the hotel I was staying in getting in a fight with the driver because he had rigged the meter to charge about 1000% of the official amount.

Far worse than anything I experienced here.

"charge about 1000% of the official amount." - that's still cheaper than a Phuket tuk-tuk. biggrin.png

I've never had a problem there. It's a flat $9US from the airport into the center of Ho Chi Minh City and all of the taxis I have used, the meter ticked over as normal.

Edited by NamKangMan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

seems like some thais get extra face points in buddha heaven by screwing over farangs, and get to brag about it to their drinking buddies.

After I learned to speak/understand Thai I learned that Thais speak very bad and have no respect for anybody. Not just Farrang.

(I hear things in the BTS, busses that sometimes make me wish i had not learned the language)

Some Thais explained to me that if you get cheated it only mean they are better business men than you.

They explain to me that general Thais have two faces and a cheating heart.

Always expect them to try and cheat you unless they know that your are not a touristsad.png

When I moved to BKK everybody tried to cheat me, until they found out, that I lived in the local neighborhood.

The tourist do not care that they get cheated and the Thais only see your white skin and expect that you are just yet another

tourist with a big wallet facepalm.gif

wai.gif

Then they realised you were a teacher, with less money than the scammers,so they left you alone lol lol,only joking

• Like 1

fun first, pay later!
Never a problem then.

The Thais won't let you pay later, then they know they cannot scam you bah.gif

fun first, pay later!

Never a problem then.

The Thais won't let you pay later, then they know they cannot scam you bah.gif

They will let you pay later, if you leave you passport with them - then watch the price go up. biggrin.png

"charge about 1000% of the official amount." - that's still cheaper than a Phuket tuk-tuk. biggrin.png

I've never had a problem there. It's a flat $9US from the airport into the center of Ho Chi Minh City and all of the taxis I have used, the meter ticked over as normal.

250 THB for 7km....double the price of Phuket

That's before some guy starts to polish your shoes whilst you're crossing the road and demands you pay him

That's before some guy starts to polish your shoes whilst you're crossing the road and demands you pay him

"250 THB for 7km....double the price of Phuket" - really? It's 200 baht minimum journey in a tuk-tuk. Any more than a couple of kilometers and the price goes up.

Ive been there many times for visa runs - never had a problem, and Vietnam, as whole, is very affordable.

"250 THB for 7km....double the price of Phuket" - really? It's 200 baht minimum journey in a tuk-tuk. Any more than a couple of kilometers and the price goes up.

Ive been there many times for visa runs - never had a problem, and Vietnam, as whole, is very affordable.

Yes really....Airport to Surin beach in a "limo" is 700 THB 31km

• Like 1

I can not say you got taken. You just met Thai practicality, his not yours. Besides if you were so green as to pay first, well, lets just say that situation looks like a chance to be really practical, him not you, and get on back.

I bet you had on a wrist watch. I have not had one of those strange things for nine years; that is the same time I have not had on closed toe shoes and exactly the same time I settled in Thailand.

Did someone say relax?

Yes really....Airport to Surin beach in a "limo" is 700 THB 31km

So why is it 400 baht from Patong to Kata in a tuk-tuk???? biggrin.png

I think if you engage in tourist type activities you will pay more than we as expat residents feel you should.

I remember back in the day when I was a tourist with pockets rammed with drakma, lire, baht, whatever they had in Thailand. Who knew, who cared, it had lots of zeros and didn't have a photo of the Queen, I used to hire a speed boat to take me and mine over to Phi Phi and then back again because I hated the public boats. It was 5000 baht each way. Now that I've been here a week or two would I pay that, no chance. I'd like to go back in time and give myself a slap.

SDM

PS I'm sure you all know this but if you go down the the Aquarium, Zoo and Imany other places and show your Thai Driving Licence you will pay the Thai price. S

I'm sure that most expats did the same in their early days in the LOS. But when you cease to be a tourist and retire here you watch your pennies, and quite rightly so. Not all places are a rip off. Go to the aquarium in Rayong and if you are over 65 you go in for free, and the ticket booth attendant gives you a smile. Well, that may have been just for me?smile.png

Forgot about the "low tide" did you? When he meant stranded... he meant STRANDED because you would be walking back in MUD. I laugh at how so many people I see coming back from a long tail ride are walking a half mile thru the muddy water at low tide. And sometimes watching them try to pull the long tail back to shore.

That's true. Most likely the long tail boat guy knew about the low tide and you didn't.

Certainly he was unable to explain this to you in ENGRISH and that's was the misunderstanding.

Istead of feeling trapped by him you should feel thankfull for him to save you of a LONG WALK IN THE MUD.

Enjoy Thailand !

No doubt the Thais know that if you leave shore at 2 you can't have lunch for 3 hours and be back at shore at 5.

Regardless of how long it takes to have lunch and what ever else i want do (shopping - talking) i had the deal to stay there for 3 hours. Back at shore takes 15 mins - so what? I was played and i am not too embarrassed to admit it.

"I was played and i am not too embarrassed to admit it." - yes, no shame in admitting it. Now look at it from a first time to Thailand/Phuket tourist's perspective - do you think they would be happy?

Now look at this particular interaction, and spread the same attitude across their whole holiday, not to mention dealing with tuk-tuk drivers - get the sorry picture?

Yeah, but the picture is only clear to those who understand the prices and the Thai concept of time and business. If you are new here, a B200 tuk-tuk ride for a couple of blocks may seem okay, just as a departure one hour after arrival may seem okay too, and it gives the boatman a chance at another trip.

When you live in Muang Thai, you need to accept one thing, you are always going to get shafted on way or another, the trick is to try and keep it to a minimum.

• Like 1

many are now realising that and going elsewhere.

That's what I did in 2006 and took all my business with me.

Thailand, lah gone, popgan chat na ( see you in a NEXT life)

Edited by puipuitom

Certainly a smart fellow such as yourself will take your own advice. smile.png

Like most expats, I can minimise my exposure to such scams, and I have already done most of the tourist things on offer here.

I would be happy to hear your explanation as to why Phuket is losing it's western tourist market, particularly return tourists, as well as also losing some expats, to other locations in Thailand.

I will quote a friend of mine who moved from Phuket to Pattaya. He said of Pattaya, "Everything is easier here" and as he has a girlfriend, he wasn't talking about the bar girls. biggrin.png

<i will never get the upper edge..>

Correct. Not for nothing do I refer to LOS as "land of scams".

However, if using small businesses for things, I have had some good results. It seems to be that the bigger the organisation, the laxer the staff eg at Global House the place is over run with staff sitting around, but they never seem to know much about what they are selling.

Now, I do everything myself that I can, and expect to have problems with the rest, unless very minor, like key cutting.

BTW, nothing exclusive to Thailand- I was "taken" badly in Sri Lanka when the airport hotel I had booked was "not available" and I was told to either pay for a taxi to an hotel in Colombo "now", or not have a room for the night ie not given a chance to check it out with the hotel- scum crooks all.

Edited by thaibeachlovers