Is what you pay for - what you get?

Kaymcdonnell

Having lived in Thailand for a reasonable amount of time, i cannot help by being embarrassed by how many times i have been fooled. Only last week i went on a day trip to The sea gypsy village for lunch in Phang Nga. So at the pier whilst arranging the trip with the long tail, I paid the 1,000 but for the trip to the restaurant for lunch and trip back. We only left the pier at 2pm and expected to return at 5pm. I was clear to point out to the long tail operator that i needed 3 hours minimum for lunch. Well i got stung again. The person who took me there insisted we leave after 1 hour or be stranded. When will i ever get the upper edge on how it works here…. even the thai' s do not know…. i will never get the upper edge..

• Like 1

No doubt the Thais know that if you leave shore at 2 you can't have lunch for 3 hours and be back at shore at 5.

Regardless of how long it takes to have lunch and what ever else i want do (shopping - talking) i had the deal to stay there for 3 hours. Back at shore takes 15 mins - so what? I was played and i am not too embarrassed to admit it.

• Like 1

I think if you engage in tourist type activities you will pay more than we as expat residents feel you should.

I remember back in the day when I was a tourist with pockets rammed with drakma, lire, baht, whatever they had in Thailand. Who knew, who cared, it had lots of zeros and didn't have a photo of the Queen, I used to hire a speed boat to take me and mine over to Phi Phi and then back again because I hated the public boats. It was 5000 baht each way. Now that I've been here a week or two would I pay that, no chance. I'd like to go back in time and give myself a slap.

SDM

PS I'm sure you all know this but if you go down the the Aquarium, Zoo and Imany other places and show your Thai Driving Licence you will pay the Thai price. S

• Like 1

No doubt the Thais know that if you leave shore at 2 you can't have lunch for 3 hours and be back at shore at 5.

Regardless of how long it takes to have lunch and what ever else i want do (shopping - talking) i had the deal to stay there for 3 hours. Back at shore takes 15 mins - so what? I was played and i am not too embarrassed to admit it.

"I was played and i am not too embarrassed to admit it." - yes, no shame in admitting it. Now look at it from a first time to Thailand/Phuket tourist's perspective - do you think they would be happy?

Now look at this particular interaction, and spread the same attitude across their whole holiday, not to mention dealing with tuk-tuk drivers - get the sorry picture?

• Like 1

Please go to bed

I am actually in bed, my back went earlier on and is killing me. Can't seem to get comfortable though.

SDM

PS I saw the pre-edited version of your post. You should have stuck with it!

Edited by SDM0712

"I was played and i am not too embarrassed to admit it." - yes, no shame in admitting it. Now look at it from a first time to Thailand/Phuket tourist's perspective - do you think they would be happy?

Now look at this particular interaction, and spread the same attitude across their whole holiday, not to mention dealing with tuk-tuk drivers - get the sorry picture?

The thing is, when you are a tourist you go to the travel desk at the hotel / "travel agency" or whatever. They have their boat guy / tour guy etc., you pay more, but the guy generally does whats required or agreed.

Many of us expats say screw doing "tourist" things, because we are not willing to pay the extra or have the inclination to negotiate.

When some of us do want to do it then we go it alone and get shafted. So we are pretty much damned if we do... damned if we don't. If you have a Thai spouse / family this can usually be circumvented. However some of us are occasionally going to end up in this situation. Myself included. (crap seafood joint on Phuket, most recently)

At least that is how I see it.

As already posted, never pay in advance.

In a previous life, I would never do that for a night's 'companion'.

Forgot about the "low tide" did you? When he meant stranded... he meant STRANDED because you would be walking back in MUD. I laugh at how so many people I see coming back from a long tail ride are walking a half mile thru the muddy water at low tide. And sometimes watching them try to pull the long tail back to shore.

• Like 1

The thing is, when you are a tourist you go to the travel desk at the hotel / "travel agency" or whatever. They have their boat guy / tour guy etc., you pay more, but the guy generally does whats required or agreed.

Many of us expats say screw doing "tourist" things, because we are not willing to pay the extra or have the inclination to negotiate.

When some of us do want to do it then we go it alone and get shafted. So we are pretty much damned if we do... damned if we don't. If you have a Thai spouse / family this can usually be circumvented. However some of us are occasionally going to end up in this situation. Myself included. (crap seafood joint on Phuket, most recently)

If you're an expatriate with a Thai drivers licence you pay Thai price.

I can list many attractions that have this policy in Phuket.

Phuket zoo.

Phuket bird park.

Botanical gardens.

Water park.

Go karts.

Siam Narimit.

Phuket Fantasy.

Even some elephant trek places give you a discount if you prove you live here.

Give it try.

• Like 2

Phuket zoo.

Phuket bird park.

Botanical gardens.

Water park.

Go karts.

Siam Narimit.

Phuket Fantasy.

Give it try.

What are the Thai prices at Siam Narimit?

What are the Thai prices at Siam Narimit?

Normally written in Thai script ( & numerals) at the pay desk at these places. Just get a Thai to telephone them and ask the price for Thais.

SDM

Phuket zoo.

Phuket bird park.

Botanical gardens.

Water park.

Go karts.

Siam Narimit.

Phuket Fantasy.

Give it try.

Absolutely, and I do make use of my DL for those places when I go / have gone.

However, the boat guy who takes you some place new that you read about and want to try - he does not give a toss about your DL. You walk into a restaurant that a Thai friend recommends and you pay double what he did (seafood - prices per kg / seasonal for example). That is what we are meaning.

Sometimes when you step out and try something new, you will get ripped - occupational hazard I guess.

• Like 1

What pees me off is being told a watch repair will take 1 month, 3 months later and it is still not back, is someone walking from central to Bangkok with it? sorry had to get this in as it is peeing me off!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

i cannot help by being embarrassed by how many times i have been fooled.

Not to feel too bad. Some people go through life finding even the simplest tasks overwhelming.

Once money changes hands all conditions seem to change,

It may seem that way but for some special people, no matter where they are, some things remain remarkably the same.

15002.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Thai pointing? I've been stung like this three times. In Australia.

Its 'never' a good thing to do.

• Like 1