Landlord is not writing a lease, what to do?

Hi, I'm having an issue with my property manager at an apartment I planned to rent.

I moved an early this month, and paid 5000 baht to book the room. She wrote me an invoice for this amount, and told me she would have a English lease ready for me the next day. Tuesday rolls around, and she says the lease isn't ready yet, and apologizes profusely. Wednesday, similar story. Thursday, Friday, and now Saturday, all similar excuses.

I've been very polite so far, but now I'm getting concerned. Today when I asked her about the lease, she made her excuse as usual, and then asked me how much I had paid to get the Internet installed.

That scares me a bit, because I've been wondering if she is trying to scam me in some way, and now she's asking about my move-in costs (Earlier she also asked how much the truck charged me to move all my stuff).

What can I do? I'd like an actual lease in place, because right now I'm staying in a room with no formal agreement, and I already paid for almost a whole month (rent here is 5500/mo).

I'd say your lucky that there isn't a deposit.

Go with the flow, at the end of the day 5000 bht is nothing.

She might be seeing how gullible wealthy you are by asking how much you paid. She might raise the rent after you are in but why worry?

• Like 1

I'd say your lucky that there isn't a deposit.

Go with the flow, at the end of the day 5000 bht is nothing.

She might be seeing how gullible wealthy you are by asking how much you paid. She might raise the rent after you are in but why worry?

My concern is that she'll pocket the money and then tell me that she so sorry, "but she accidentally rented the place to someone else, and I have to leave in two days."

Yes, I could find another place around the same area, but I've already looked and will be paying at least 2500 more per month (I'm in Asoke).

I don't really deal with this end of the market but many Thais I know that rent in this kind of range don't expect to or receive a lease. If you have paid a deposit that's probably the only thing you might lose.

Have you discussed electricity rates ? The apartment management will normally charge you more than the government rate, probably about 7/8 baht per unit. There should be a meter outside your room, make sure the readings are on your monthly bill, and that's probably the only documentation you will get. Also water and cable TV costs. Personally I wouldn't be worried in this range.

SDM

PS Keep your receipts and I'm sure you will be fine.

Edited by SDM0712
  • Like 1

The rented property I live in has no lease and I paid no deposit when I took it on,I pay them every 6 months and the verbal agreement we have from the start seems to be enough.

This is a four bedroom,four bathroom property and is a fantastic house for the mere 5,000 baht a month I pay.

Go with the flow some Thais prefer to do business this way,i wouldn't worry about it one bit.

• Like 1

The rented property I live in has no lease and I paid no deposit when I took it on,I pay them every 6 months and the verbal agreement we have from the start seems to be enough.

This is a four bedroom,four bathroom property and is a fantastic house for the mere 5,000 baht a month I pay.

Go with the flow some Thais prefer to do business this way,i wouldn't worry about it one bit.

Wow, four bathrooms,do you use them all on a kind of cycle,or just whatever takes your fancy,ie,today blue bathroom,tomorrow green bathroom?

I don't understand why farangs always pay the rental BEFORE signing any agreement. You can say all you want about Thais but Thais ain't so gullible as farangs to pay any money before any paper agreement is made.

• Like 1

I doubt if the owner is trying to scam you.

This is Thailand where everything is always a tomorrow job and where plans and promises can change by the hour.

As some posters have already mentioned, don`t worry about it, consider your rental on a monthly basis and providing you pay your rent and bills on time and are a model tenant, meaning no wild parties every weekend, don`t have in noisy friends every night and causing disturbances to the other tenants and treat the property with respect, than I see no reasons why the owner would ask you to leave.

If in the future the owner tries to increase your rent or bills, than you have the option of either paying the increases if you believe they are acceptable or moving out and considering, a lease could be more of a burden to you than of benefit.

She probably can't write English and doesn't know anyone that can write it. If you have a Thai lease, go to someplace and get it translated. Then you can use this

Contract in English seems to be the hold up.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

She probably can't write English and doesn't know anyone that can write it. If you have a Thai lease, go to someplace and get it translated. Then you can use this

Contract in English seems to be the hold up.

Yep, if the OP wants piece of mind, take the Thai contract and get it translated, couple of hundred baht.

I have been paying my rent monthly for four years, with no lease. Sometimes I am behind, sometimes in front. I take care of some maintenance issues, and the landlord fixes other things when I bring them to his attention. The whole family knows me. I feel totally at ease, and it seems they do also. If I am out of the country for extended periods, I will send money to the daughter's account, because she is more Internet savvy. Mum'n Dad get the money, and I can send messages via Facebook. It is all based on communication, trust and honour.

• Like 2

Any English only lease is not legal. It would have to be Thai and English, with the Thai taking precedent!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If it's signed by all parties then an English lease is fine, however if either party wanted to challenge it in a Court it would have to be translated into Thai by a source recognised by the Court. Like many legal matters it's down to the Judge.

If we are dealing with an all Western tenancy we do an all English contract, but if a Thai is involved on either side we do a hybrid and since one language must take precedence it's Thai.

SDM

You made a few fundamental errors OP. This is how the procedure should have been:

1) Verification that the landlord actually owns the property. This is verified by the landlord showing the title deed in original;

2) If the title is confermed to be in order you agree and sign a lease / hire agreement;

3) If the lease / hire is for a maximum period of three years you just paid the deposit and move in; or

4) If the lease / hire is for a longer period of three years then the lease must be duly registered at the land office. For this either you or your representative ought to accompany the land lord to the land office. Once the lease is duly registered on the rear side of the title deed you pay the deposit, not before. Remember, in proper business one doesn't pay anything for nothing; and

5) You move in.

Also remember being ignorant is never an excuse. Therefore, if one is uncertain it allmost always pays to hire legal advice.

• Like 1

Haha 5,500 a month..what is the purpose of a lease your deposit cannot be to.big of a payment just pay it then move in..or find somewhere else to move..consider yourself lucky you have a home and stop making problems.

Haha 5,500 a month..what is the purpose of a lease your deposit cannot be to.big of a payment just pay it then move in..or find somewhere else to move..consider yourself lucky you have a home and stop making problems.

Everything you have described is typical...especially the "saying" you are going to get a lease...and it never materializing...

Be flexible...my experience is...the paper a lease is written on...is only valid...if the foreigner breaks the lease...not the Thai...they will ignore their on contracts...if it means costing them money...

Good Luck!

Watch out!! They don't have to charge you government rate - your electric bill will probably be way more than your rent. That is how they 'sucker' you - I've had electric bills far surpass the rental rate. Get you in for 5000; then expect a 10,000 baht electric bill. Especially in that 'high-class' area.