Bangkok Bank - Opening Any Account

Hello everyone,

Just a short one, and one which may have been covered before so apologies if I am duplicating anything recent. My Thai partner and I went in Bangkok Bank's head office last Wednesday with the idea of opening a savings account. My background is that I have been offered a job here in Bangkok and am now just waiting for the paperwork to be processed by my company for the work permit.

Anyway, my parner explained I only wanted a saving account for now, but the clerk was adamant that NO accounts can be opened for non-Thai's without a valid work permit. She checked with another of her colleague's who confirmed this. We didn't even get around to the fact of how much I was prepared to deposit !

Is this a new ruling ? I thought Bangkok Bank was the most 'farang friendly' of the banks here in Thailand, but now I am seriously looking at trying other banks when I do get my work permit later this week. Do any other banks offer accounts for non-Thai's if you have a work permit ?

Like I said, sorry if this has already been covered before but I read before I left the UK that Bangkok Bank was normally okay to open purely a savings account before I get issued with a work permit.

Thanks.

Andy.

Not an usual story, in my experience.

I think that as with many things in Thailand, it's more to do with WHO in the bank you dealt with rather than there being a general policy. Sounds like you got unlucky. Other people - with no more than a 100 baht note and a tourist visa - have managed to open savings accounts at other Bkk Bank branches and other banks.

Suggest you try again until you find a more friendly place, although if your work permit is pending, you might want to wait until it arrives to take the chance element out of it.

It would not surprise me if this was a typical knee jerk reaction to the fact that Bangkok Bank has AGAIN been pulled up for not validating peoples identity and source of money - this time in the USA. Of course, the perception will be that its all the foreigners fault and I could well guess they have quickly tightened the rules in the last couple of days. I expect we will see a new position being advertised anyday now in the Bangkok Post for a "Vice President - Compliance" to work at Bangkok Banks HQ.

It would not surprise me if this was a typical knee jerk reaction to the fact that Bangkok Bank has AGAIN been pulled up for not validating peoples identity and source of money - this time in the USA. Of course, the perception will be that its all the foreigners fault and I could well guess they have quickly tightened the rules in the last couple of days. I expect we will see a new position being advertised anyday now in the Bangkok Post for a "Vice President - Compliance" to work at Bangkok Banks HQ.

As one of the other posts stated, the BKK Bank branch between Sukhumvit Soi 8 and 10 allow for the opening of savings accounts with a minimal deposit.

I had to go to the US Embassy to have an affidavit prepared to indicate that my passport (i.e. my identity) is legit. After returning to the bank to open the account, I was out of there in about 20 minutes with savings book and ATM card in hand.

Neither a work permit or a visa was required.

I went into BKK Bank today in Samui to open a new savings account.

They told me that they couldnt do it unless I had a work permit. I took out my bank book for an account that I have from the Ranong Branch and showed them that I already had an account and I just want another one. They accpeted this and 20 mins later I had another account.

This one comes with a visa debit card too.

I went into BKK Bank today in Samui to open a new savings account.

They told me that they couldnt do it unless I had a work permit. I took out my bank book for an account that I have from the Ranong Branch and showed them that I already had an account and I just want another one. They accpeted this and 20 mins later I had another account.

This one comes with a visa debit card too.

Same worked for me with SCB, they've opened a new account for me in less than 15 minutes after showing them that I already have an account opened in Pattaya.

I went to the head office of the SCB bank in Bangkok and opened one on a tourist visa. Cost 300 Baht for the card however and they also setup internet banking for me. Works a treat.

Only problem I got is there ain't much in it :o

Edited by jflundy

Their own website says that you need passport with long term visa, and work permit, or Certificate of Residence. I had none of the above and set up an account in 20 minutes. :o

Actually you only need the work permit for full bank services. But for a basic ‘Resident Baht Account’ account, all you need is a Passport with a valid entry stamp, and an address in Thailand (any address will do). Here is the quote from their site:

“I am a tourist and want to deposit and withdraw cash while I am traveling in Thailand. Can I open an account at Bangkok Bank?

Yes, you can open a ‘Resident Baht Account’ and make transactions via any Bangkok Bank’s counter or you can apply for a Bualuang ATM card to use within Thailand. This account provides you with access to your funds from any ATM machine in the country however, you will not be able to access your funds from overseas.”

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...nk+Accounts.htm

Unfortunately, the majority of bank employees don’t know this, although I’m surprised this happened at the head office.

Their own website says that you need passport with long term visa, and work permit, or Certificate of Residence. I had none of the above and set up an account in 20 minutes. :o

:D Exactly what i like about Thailand...

one thing I dont understand, why would one have to open SEVERAL accounts with the same bank, f.e.: alexth and poorfarang did so. whats the deal ? you cant use ur ATM card in Phuket if the account has been opened in Udon Thani ? or cant update ur book ? and which particular SCB branch in BKK is the best to open a savings account ? the HQ only or where else ? I have a non-immi-B multiple (oh yes, such things do still exist :o ) so should not be a problem with SCB. internet banking I would like too....

thanks for any advice

I opened a savings account at the Branch near to Nana Soi 12 with only a tourist visa no problems. That was around 9 months ago so i don't know if things have changed.

However with a savings account you cannot use internet or telephone banking and i find the most simple banking transaction takes an extraordinary amount of time.

Unless a Thai bank account is essential for you i would recommend you bank offshore.

With just a few hundred baht and only a passport with visa, I've opened accounts at the following banks:

• KreungThai
  • Ayuthaya
  • Siam Commercial

If BKK Bank continues to hassle you, you might want to check out these others.

I opened a savings account at the Branch near to Nana Soi 12 with only a tourist visa no problems. That was around 9 months ago so i don't know if things have changed.

However with a savings account you cannot use internet or telephone banking and i find the most simple banking transaction takes an extraordinary amount of time.

Unless a Thai bank account is essential for you i would recommend you bank offshore.

but seems like at SCB u can do internet-banking with a savings-account.... that would save a lot of time, money and hassle.....

FWIW,

I just spent most of today trying to open a Savings account. I tried several branches of SCB (PC Center next to JW Marriott on SUK and branch in Siam Paragon), BBK (Lower SUK and across from Emporium), TMB in the Landmark hotel, and a Thammasart(?) branch. No go without work permit.

Krung Thai bank across from the JW Marriott finally agreed to open a Savings, but without work permit you will not get interest or an ATM card. The girl was nice enough to mention that Thai Farmers Bank would probably be my best bet without work permit... I was wornout by then, so KTB was ok, even though I didn't get a freaking ATM card...

Apparently the foot has been put down, get a WP or don't bank in Thailand...

Regards,

Kevin

one thing I dont understand, why would one have to open SEVERAL accounts with the same bank, f.e.: alexth and poorfarang did so. whats the deal ? you cant use ur ATM card in Phuket if the account has been opened in Udon Thani ? or cant update ur book ? and which particular SCB branch in BKK is the best to open a savings account ? the HQ only or where else ? I have a non-immi-B multiple (oh yes, such things do still exist :o ) so should not be a problem with SCB. internet banking I would like too....

thanks for any advice

BangkokBank (opened in Soi 8 Sukhumvit office, no WP) charges me commission on withdrawals and transfers made in CM, so I opened a SCB account (no WP) in CM.

Since nothing is certain here, maybe a few generalities:

1. A non-immigrant visa is more likely to work, than a tourist visa or stamp.

2. If at first you don't succeed, keep trying.

3. If you had an account at another branch, the same bank's new branch will probably do it for you.

4. You should get some kind of ATM card, or a VISA debit card.

5. Any amount of interest you'd get on a savings account is meaningless.

If you can walk in with several million baht to deposit, and you walk in with a police general as your buddy, you'll get good service. Even a police lt. colonel would help, especially if his name is.....you know. :o

opened account in bangkok bank chiang mai no proplem however if you want internet banking you need special account

You can open an internet banking account with just a savings account. According to their website, you need a non-imm visa plus either a work permit or certificate of residence. I don't know how strict they are about this, as we opened our internet account in the wife's name.

Kinda slick, as we have individual and joint savings accounts, and these are all linked together via the internet account. And besides transfering funds on-line between these accounts, you can also designate other accounts (like your maid's or landlord's) to receive transfers. Came in handy when payday came -- and we were abroad.

Application link for BB Internet Banking

Edited by JimGant

Bank Account

If you are working or living in Thailand or just moving here, we can help to set up a new bank account for you quickly and easily. With a long-term visa and a work permit or a Certificate of Residence, you can apply for access to our additional banking services like phone banking and internet banking

Directly off the Bangkok Banks' website. It sure seems to say that opening an account doesn't require anything, especially a work permit. Only if you want additional banking services do you need a non-imm visa and either a WP or certificate of residence.

Don't imagine waiving that in front of a manager would do any good.......

Guest endure
Bank Account

If you are working or living in Thailand or just moving here, we can help to set up a new bank account for you quickly and easily. With a long-term visa and a work permit or a Certificate of Residence, you can apply for access to our additional banking services like phone banking and internet banking

Directly off the Bangkok Banks' website. It sure seems to say that opening an account doesn't require anything, especially a work permit. Only if you want additional banking services do you need a non-imm visa and either a WP or certificate of residence.

Don't imagine waiving that in front of a manager would do any good.......

It also says (in the PDF document off that page)

"Please note that if you are a national from another country you will need a copy of

your passport, visa and valid work permit, when you open an account."

The website has changed a lot. The last time I looked it specifically said that anyone, even tourists, could open a savings account without problem. No mention was made of visas or wrok permits at all.

I opened my first Bangkok bank AC in (CM) with the explaination that as a very regular tourist I did not what to carry large amounts of money around with me, this was three years ago since then I have had good service even purchased a house thro the AC (check out their web site you can have an AC)

Hello everyone,

later this week. Do any other banks offer accounts for non-Thai's if you have a work permit ?

Like I said, sorry if this has already been covered before but I read before I left the UK that Bangkok Bank was normally okay to open purely a savings account before I get issued with a work permit.

Thanks.

Andy.

Imsurprised i opened my first savings account with Bangkok bank about 5 years ago - i dont have a work permit or at that time more than normal 30 day transit visa - since then ive opened 2 other accounts at different branches of bangkok bank without them knowing i already had an account at

another branch - i never had any broblem - getting a current account with cheque book seems to

require a work permit for some reason even if like me you have now lived here on yearly visas for nearly 5 years - ????? am i just lucky no problems ????? and anyone know where i can open an account with cheque book without a work permit - ive been on retirment visas for last 3 years and normally transfwer about 1 million baht a year forl iving expenses

thanks for any advice

BangkokBank (opened in Soi 8 Sukhumvit office, no WP) charges me commission on withdrawals and transfers made in CM, so I opened a SCB account (no WP) in CM.

I have ATM cards with all 3 of my savings accounts and 1 of them i can even use in europe and have done so - i use the others without any problems all over thailans - why do i have 3 - in case 1 atm card goes worng - in case i want a lot of cash 25,000 is normal limit per card etc

This letter in yesterday's Bangkok Post from a Senior Vice president of K Bank adds an interesting slant.

He claims that the bank needs either a passport or a work permit - not both. Sounds like he's making up the rules as he goes along.

Bank does want your money

With regard to Bob Frances' letter ("Bank doesn't want my money", Postbag, July 3) ' Kasikorn Bank (KBank) would like to inform you of our strong intention to serve every customer with great respect.

KBank wishes to apologise for the misunderstanding of our staff regarding the documents required for opening an account for Mr Frances. We actually require either the passport or a photocopy of it, or a work permit (or its photocopy) in order to open a savings deposit account.

We do accept our mistake and regret the inconvenience caused to Mr Frances. In addition, we wish to stress that KBank welcomes all foreigners complying with the policy of the Thai Immigration Department regarding foreign retirees.

AMPOL POLOHAKUL

First Senior Vice President

Kasikorn Bank