Internet providers

Foxter

Just a question regarding internet providers

I want to be able to look at UK sites, like BBC I player, ITV players etc, but can't use them in Thailand as the players recognise that the provider is not a UK based one

Can I get around this in anyway, as I want to keep track of programmes etc in the UK.

If there are ways to get around this that are, errrm. Dubious, please message me instead of going public.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You can watch UK TV (with up to I think 8 days back) all free UK channels using UKTV (Google it) - which is streamed from Bangkok servers. I{Player radio works by the way (on normal internet) - otherwise you need to use a VPN in the country (or something like AnonymousX - which uses VPN - although very slow for streaming!).

You could get a VPN service which provides a UK IP address. Heck, I use my U.S. IP address via StrongVPN a lot to connect to ThaiVisa which is based in California....now I don't have to use my VPN connection to reach ThaiVisa, but many times I get much faster response on ThaiVisa by using my VPN connection/U.S. IP address versus using my True provided Thailand IP address. Nothing illegal about VPN...in fact it's almost a must when living overseas to access some websites in your home country, maybe even govt websites you need to access for benefits. Plus, VPN can provide a more secure connection. And like you, when trying to access some video streaming websites in the U.S. I must use my VPN connection. StrongVPN also provides UK IP addresses. I pay $55/year for the service for unlimited service, but there are free VPN service providers that provide X-amount of MB/GB service per month which may be all you need.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As Pib says, one solution is you can use a VPN which provides you with a UK ISP address however there are two problems here or actually, three:-

i) The beeb and ITV easily learn the IP addresses of VPN service providers ( if 100 people are using the same IP address then it is quite safe for the beeb to block access from this IP address)

ii) VPN's slow down the International Gateway Internet speeds and the IIG speeds are not good in Thailand anyway.

and of course, the third problem is the speed for a single stream you can achieve through the Thai IIG. It is no good basing your internet speed on download managers or torrent speed as this just does not work with a video stream. To this end you can test your IIG speed by using the website:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

I use a service provider that bipasses the geo-locks using their DNS servers. This is more difficult for the beeb and ITV to block and I have successfully used their service since January this year specifically to watch the 6 nations rugby from the beeb at a time that suited me.

So, if you could please post your speed test results from Thinkb........ here, or at least the link to your results, and if your IIG speed is adequate then I can provide you with further details of how to bipass the geo-locks.

For my benefit I would also like to know your service provider, the plan you subscribe to and the cost as I am actively looking at installing my own internet connection in the GH where I reside. All speed test results are useful to many ops at TV

cheers

• Like 1