Short Term Monk for step son -party costs etc?

petejjj

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agreeing in part ...

"100,000 baht for a party for an eleven day monk? Seriously - have a good talk to your wife about that. Not a coin. She's taking the p*ss out of you. Big time."
My gf's nephew did exacty that.
There was a procession etc, the baht coin toss ... all true.
But Bt 100,000 is simply face.
There is an expectation to provide some sort of celebration and a food/drink reward for the procession ... but Bt 100,000 ... alt=facepalm.gif>

David,

Don't forget the OP, is speaking about an 11 day celebration.

Feeding and entertaining all people for 11 days..............

This is the full monty........can cost a lot.

In brief discussions with family I was told that the following happens:

1. day 1 prepare for party etc, buy monk robe etc.

2. day 2 go to wat and do the monk thing, i.e. shave head etc

3. night 2 party with food, drinks, dancing girls and band.

4. day 11 last day when step son is released, we provide him with new set of clothes

Party - food etc is only first 2 days to my knowledge?

Event still evolving.

Thanks

-P

costa ... no 11 day party mentioned.;b++){var>

Have you been involved with a novice Monk preparation?

Opinions on costs you're asking for, my opinion is forget about what one or two others have said, yes you should pay, by marrying your wife you also accept her son as part of the family also, as for the 100k, depending how lavish as others have suggested, but I think that's a wee but excessive for 100 guests, most relatives will help prepare the food, as for the thai drinks, a 4 or 5 cases of hong thong and some beer is fairly cheap,, and stow away the single malts for yourself,, I was horrified to see my FIL pour mine into a long glass topped up with coke,,,,,, I'd suggest a figure of around 50k to 60k excluding the dancing girls, by most thai standards that should give him a good send off,,, donation to temple around 4 or 5k remembering that it is just a donation,,, so whatever you want to donate,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks jonnyscott. I'm happy to help but I'm not an ATM machine. As I mentioned earlier, my wedding in 2009 cost about 40k and that was for same amount of people, so I'm Happy to use that as my benchmark.

Agree re drinks. Did similar at wedding but provided bulk home brew thai whiskey. As soon as the beer ran out they hassled me to buy more. When I didn't they were happy to drink home brew whiskey. At the days end the uncle was decanting the home brew into any small bottle he could find. Free alcohol is some folks holly grail.

Thanks

P

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

100k for 11 day monkhood and village party? Whew!

I think your wife may be looking for a bonus. 50k for the party, 50k for her and the mom, and sister, and uncle, and whoever else.

If someone from an Issan village tried hitting me up for 100k for an 11 day monkhood party, I would just hysterically laugh for a while, then go grab a beer from the fridge without saying anything.

Tell them 20k, and let it go to 30k during the day of. That's lots for a village party to go be a monk for 11 days and be stripped of all material possessions. If they need more than that, tough titties for them.

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 2

Many thanks krisb. My wife is suggesting around THB100k which I think is excess.

Band with dancing girls is approx THB12k.

I recall from our wedding there in 2009, it cost about THB40k for the party, and another THB40k for sin sod.

Many thanks

-Pete

ask how much the locals paid for the last kids monking party - and go with that. however, for thais it is more of an excuse to show off so your wife will feel she has lost face if she doesnt out do the local norm.

im sure the kid would rather have a 100k in the bank than have that amount spent on being a pretend monk for 11 days. obviously all kids dont do it otherwise you would see the processions almost everyday.

if my wife asked for 100k for some such thing (a years income for a teacher in a village) i would show her the door.

Edited by jonesthebaker

I have.......

attachicon.gif01.JPGattachicon.gif02.JPGattachicon.gif03.JPG

attachicon.gif04.JPGattachicon.gif05.JPGattachicon.gif06.JPG

attachicon.gif07.JPGattachicon.gif08.JPGattachicon.gif09.JPG

This was my Brother-in-Law.

The in-laws told me that even though I had married into the family I was neither parent, blood, Thai or Buddhist and I was not expected to make a contribution unless I really wanted to.

I changed a thousand Baht note in to 1 Baht coins and wrapped them in gold coloured foil paper myself, took hours, on the condition that I got to sit in the truck and throw them.

Tables were set up for family, family members who had moved away, and the people of the village.There were around 250 people.

There was no sound stage and no dancing girls. That is for weddings, not funerals and monkings.

This one I helped with, but I have attended countless others as a guest, and they have all followed the same criteria.

The total cost for this one was around 15K Baht, that was around 9 years ago, so I expect inflation will have had an effect on that number.

Ex-pointy one ... I have to say, I can't remember reading a post recently that I've enjoyed more ... thumbsup.gif

Thanks for sharing that experience.

OH ... MissFarmGirl's sister and mother think that you are a hunsom man indeed ... laugh.png

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agreeing in part ...

"100,000 baht for a party for an eleven day monk? Seriously - have a good talk to your wife about that. Not a coin. She's taking the p*ss out of you. Big time."
My gf's nephew did exacty that.
There was a procession etc, the baht coin toss ... all true.
But Bt 100,000 is simply face.
There is an expectation to provide some sort of celebration and a food/drink reward for the procession ... but Bt 100,000 ... alt=facepalm.gif>

David,

Don't forget the OP, is speaking about an 11 day celebration.

Feeding and entertaining all people for 11 days..............

This is the full monty........can cost a lot.

1. day 1 prepare for party etc, buy monk robe etc.
  2. day 2 go to wat and do the monk thing, i.e. shave head etc
  3. night 2 party with food, drinks, dancing girls and band.
  4. day 11 last day when step son is released, we provide him with new set of clothes

Event still evolving.

Thanks

-P

costa ... no 11 day party mentioned.;b++){var>

A few of them, David.

Where I live in Isaan, can go on for a week.

^^ PS ... you didn't say how much that one cost?

Did the Family let on?

Did mate, right at the end, about 15K Baht, even with inflation nine years later, I expect that it would still be under 30k.

Btw, your in-laws have very good taste wink.png

P.S. don't tell them I told you, but with the money from guests in envelopes, they made a profit :)

Edited by Thaddeus
  • Like 2

• day 1 prepare for party etc, buy monk robe etc.
  • day 2 go to wat and do the monk thing, i.e. shave head etc
  • night 2 party with food, drinks, dancing girls and band.
  • day 11 last day when step son is released, we provide him with new set of clothes

Event still evolving.

Thanks

-P

Well we just went to one yesterday. My wife's cousins son who we know quite well. I don't know the cost and it's not the thing to ask. We only went on Day 2. There was lunch, for about 100 people and in the evening there must have been 4-5 hundred people ... judging by the number of tables and 10 to each table.

The format above is about correct. My wife gave 1000Baht to his parents, in an envelope and I gave 500Baht to him when I had to sit in a chair along with three others and he said something in Thai.

The food should not be a lot, a couple of different curries and rice. But some beer and some of the cheap (paint stripper whisky), soft drinks and water will cost a little more. Also a tub of Ice cream

12000Baht for a band etc seems a piss take in a little village. I assume that a covered area with lighting (don't touch the wires!!)will also be provided.

You probably aren't likely to get a lot back if they think a foreigner is paying!! Make sure that you do get back what is gifted though!!

Best get a complete breakdown. Also see what the family can help with, maybe the food/cooking etc.

Doing the 11Day or whatever Monk Thing is A BIG THING in Thai custom ....... Good Luck

Edited by JAS21
  • Like 1

My wife payed 200 000B. No alcoholic beverages.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Woot!!w00t.gif

For that much he can move to a Bavarian Monastry and learn to make this as well

post-151649-0-29578600-1402233338_thumb.

^^ PS ... you didn't say how much that one cost?

Did the Family let on?

Did mate, right at the end, about 15K Baht, even with inflation nine years later, I expect that it would still be under 30k.

Btw, your in-laws have very good taste wink.png

P.S. don't tell them I told you, but with the money from guests in envelopes, they made a profit smile.png

See.

The whole countries one big business.

As me old mate use to say...

Just sayn'coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Woot!!w00t.gif

For that much he can move to a Bavarian Monastry and learn to make this as well

Well she said better if the guests are not drinking alcohol, might they go "crazy". Btw 800 people donated 87 000 B.

Well she said better if the guests are not drinking alcohol, might they go "crazy". Btw 800 people donated 87 000 B.

Mate, I am just ... w00t.gif

Just confirming ... for a Novice Monk into the order for a couple of weeks there was a function for 800 ?

Not disputing ... just trying to clarify.

Thanks

Just confirming ... for a Novice Monk into the order for a couple of weeks there was a function for 800 ?

Thanks

He had a lot of Facebook friends.

Got pics of the 800 guests?

Was the Kardashians there?

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

actually went to one today, there were about 100 people, no alcohol, water, coke, pepsi etc to drink, Food on each table consisted of boiled rice, a soup, a curry, fish, pork(knuckle and trotter), prawn dish, snacks then a desert dish. After eating they had a band that played local music and led the procession in which we were expected to dance(wave our arms/hands around) while going around the temple 3 times and then they did the coin toss then the ceremony inside the temple. Food is basic which is the same at most of these ceremonies I have been too, up country it should not be overly expensive and my wife says maybe 40,000 baht for everything all up plus everyone usually gives the paying parent an enverlope with money in it to help pay so make sure no one else pockets this money, its yours. The monk that does the ceremony is paid a nominal fee as well as for the use of the temple, you should buy all the things for the monk to use while there for his 11 days. It is entirely up to you what you pay but you need to set a limit and make sure the money inside the envelopes is given to you and not pocketed by the inlaws. The ceremony takes place all on the one day, well it has been to the several we have attended but some families like to make it a big thing especially if they have a farang to sucker into paying, same with all the extras, no dancing girls at any I have been too and there have been some by very rich influential people, these were usually done with just the basics too. If your wife and her family want a big one tell them to pay for it, set your limit and tell her you expect all the donations given to you to compensate for the costs or it will simply dissapear and dont let them bullsh*t that it is for the son, it isnt.

• Like 2

Thanks

Yes my wife invited a bit more than 800 people. Of course they didn't come at once. Some came Friday some Saturday, Sunday morning... But we didn't sleep much,get up at 3 a.m, fell in the bed at 11p.m and this for 3 nights. Koen was 30 days in the Wat.

• Like 1

Thanks

He had a lot of Facebook friends.

Got pics of the 800 guests?

Was the Kardashians there?

Yeah I got a lot of photos but for some reason I couldn't upload them. And thanks god the Kardashians did not come. They were invited though./now I got it./

post-205734-1402236347561_thumb.jpg

post-205734-14022364577151_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks

Yes my wife invited a bit more than 800 people. Of course they didn't come at once. Some came Friday some Saturday, Sunday morning... But we didn't sleep much,get up at 3 a.m, fell in the bed at 11p.m and this for 3 nights. Koen was 30 days in the Wat.

800 guests

30 days in the temple

My mind boggles at all that.

Crazy stuff, yet awesome.

• Like 1

Well gentlemen ... I've been educated. I thought I had a reasonable grasp on the ins and outs of Thailand ... but you have shown me something new.

My experience was a much lower key affair ... but we aren't Isaan folk.

I thought I was David.

Nope. Not even close it seems.